Clean recording amp recommendations - Carr?

What's Hot
Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
Hi all, I've long used this forum to get lots of useful advice but never joined until now - this is my first post.

I'm after an amp for recording and playing at home. It'll never get gigged. I play clean the vast majority of the time so would probably be happy to get my overdrive from pedals if required. I really like a warm clean and would need to be able to get a really fantastic sound at bedroom volume. I wouldn't want anything boxy sounding but I'd still like to the amp not to be too big overall. 

I'd be interested in something with a high quality valve reverb but this is not essential at all. 

I've been considering a couple of things - a Carr Sportsman being one. A Raleigh possibly being another. To be honest these tend to go for a bit more than I was hoping to spend but I could possibly stretch to this ballpark if on a very good second hand deal.

Would anyone have any recommendations for amps that would suit my criteria? Any advice at all would be very gratefully received!

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    It's hard to say without knowing exactly what sort of reference tones you're after, but there are plenty of options around that price range if you're looking used. My own Bad Cat Cub might fit the bill if you lean towards the Vox thing rather than Fender - they're certainly "warm". There was one going for a good price in the classifieds recently iirc. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    I like my Swart STR Trem for that, though at 5 watt it's quite loud if turned up and it's about the size of a Princeton, poss slightly narrower. It's open back and at no point have I thought it was boxy sounding, though it's a Champ derivative so has a similar sound. The larger cab and 12 inch speaker transform that humble circuit though.

At lower volumes though you get a great warm clean and valve driven trem and reverb.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    It’s not a valve amp but as long as it’s not exclusively a fender clean you want then you could look at a smaller Jazz Chorus - maybe a JC40 or even the JC22. They are stereo amps , sound great at low volumes and won’t break the bank.
  • Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
    Thanks both! Appreciate your replies.  I should have said - I'm more Fender than Vox.  As you can imagine, there are so many reference tones in someone's head that it's sometimes hard to pick things out but put on the spot I'd say David Lindley's sound on those classic Jackson Browne records is always on my list.  My favourite driven sounds are Neil Young tweed sound but as I say, I'm happy to get that from a pedal.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    gringopig said:
    Lindley used Dumble Overdrive Special amps, so not the cleanest amp around. It's based on a big Fender amp but...

get a Carr Skylark. Don't think. Just do it!
    The Skylark is a lovely amp and ideal for the OP but they rarely come up used and when they do they’re usually around £1600 so not not cheap by any standards for a home amp. Used Sportsman amps appear more regularly and are usually priced around £1000 - £1200.
  • Edm123Edm123 Frets: 64
    Thanks all.  Jim, sadly you're absolutely right - £1600 is way above my price range and, as mentioned above, even those Sportsman prices are really going a bit above what I'd be hoping to spend. 
    Merlin, thanks very much for pointing out your Rambler.  I hear a lot of people really love them but others perhaps consider them a little too clean?  I may be wrong about this - I'll listen to some demos later today.  Also, as they are higher wattage, are their best tones achievable at bedroom volumes?  Thanks so much to everyone for so many replies thus far on a rainy Sunday!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited August 2019
    Don't laugh but genuinely, my go to clean amp for home and pedal platform is a Laney Lionheart. I have a 20w head that I run though a Reactive Load and it sound incredible... and warm. Also comes in a 5w head.

Cheap as chips and will save you money for some nice drives should you wish to compliment the perfectly good onboard 2nd channel.

But importantly, it'll leave you some dough to buy a nice reverb, as the reverb, although usable, could be improved upon with pedals.

It's a good amp!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    If you are spending a few quid and are not sure exactly what you are after I would go and try a few amps out in a store to work out what you might like. 

Buying used is always difficult because you are limited to what is available, but it's much easier if you have a list of amps you have tried and liked. Then if one comes up and you are ready to go.... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Princeton Reverb Reissue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • manimani Frets: 10
    Trademark 60 - original speaker model, brilliant cleans & reverb from this SS amp.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    camf said:
    Princeton Reverb Reissue?
    This or a Deluxe Reverb or a Rift PR35
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I recently bought a Carr Mercury (the 8W original, not the V) from @DrCornelius. I can't think of a nicer amp for playing at home and recording. 8W, 2W, 1/2W and 1/10W power settings, 2 boost settings and a lush reverb. The number of different sounds I can get from it is remarkable - and it's worth the effort of finding them. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Something like a Princeton type amp. Rift amps do a 6w one but it’s over your budget. 

But, even with something that is 12 to 20w a lot can be a achieved by changing the pre amp valves to ones that produce less gain and volume. Putting in a really inefficient speaker makes a very big difference. With these two modifications you should have no problem with great tone at medium volume. I’ve done them myself and it worked a treat.