Battery Powered Amp

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
So I just sold my THR10C on here and immediately regretted it. I wasn't using it a ton, but then when it was gone I realised I needed to have such an amp regardless. I wasnt overly impressed with the 10C, but it was good for what it is.

I ordered the THR5 as I didn't use any of the 10's additional features. It sounds terrible. So bright and ice picky. I can't get a warm tone from it. If I turn the tone down on both the amp and guitar, it takes the piercing highs off, but then it become dull. 

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thinking about sending it back. What alternatives are there? Has anyone got the Katana mini? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm.

The best-sounding battery amp I've ever heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    There's a guy plays in our town centre with a Vox Cube and he is TOO 'KING LOUD!  Pretty clean mind.

Dave.
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 655
    The Katana mini is a bit rubbish. Don't believe the hype, it is overpriced, and sounds like a cheap transistor radio. The 4 inch speaker is just too small. Local buskers all seem to use Roland micro cubes. I don't know if they are still good or if there is anything better available now.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    I've worked out if I drop the guitar volume two notches it removes the ear piercing highs. Might give it a bit more time. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Vox Handbag is pretty good.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Laney mini ST is an option.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    ICBM said:
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm.

The best-sounding battery amp I've ever heard.
    I have my Vox 5 mini up for sale

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106988/fs-vox-mini-5-70#latest

Agree about the tones but lack of connectivity options.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Pignose?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Blackstar Fly with the extension cab. I've seen some people on here badmouth it but i disagree. its great for a coffee table noodle. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Fuengi said:
    Pignose?
    This! I should've bought one years before I actually did. 

It won't do anything you expect from a fully featured normal amp, and especially not anything a modeller can do, but it has a very musical feel and sits perfectly in a mix while you're working out what to play. 

When you plug into a Pignose your guitar is purely a musical instrument, not a wired controller for a sound module. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    p90fool said:
    Fuengi said:
    Pignose?
    This! I should've bought one years before I actually did. 

It won't do anything you expect from a fully featured normal amp, and especially not anything a modeller can do, but it has a very musical feel and sits perfectly in a mix while you're working out what to play. 

When you plug into a Pignose your guitar is purely a musical instrument, not a wired controller for a sound module. 
    That’s all entirely true.

But I’ve just sold mine - which was the fourth or fifth I’ve owned - because I just don’t like the sound of them and it doesn’t work for what I play. (Even with a buffered pedal in front, which does improve them.) 

A bit of trivia - although not exact, the circuit is very closely related to the Brian May ‘Deacy’ amp that John Deacon made from a scrap radio amplifier. They’re both a derivative of one of the first discrete-transistor audio amp circuits.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson