SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Schecter KOA PJ bass - Van Nuys Era

DanTMDanTM Frets: 21
edited April 2020 in Basses £
Even though my daughter is only 11 months old she has already started to destroy my physical condition. Therefore and with a lot of distress I have to let go my ~5,3 Kilo Schecter bass made in the early 80s just when Manowar released the glorious "Battle Hymns" and when Pantera was about to start their way into music history. My shoulder just can't handle it and I can not play in my band sitting on a chair.

So this lovely Schecter PJ bass was built during the so called Van Nuys era. Back in those days Schecter was a small repair and custom guitar shop started by Dave Schecter that was located in Van Nuys, California. Together with his employees (one of them was Tom Anderson) Schecter built replacement parts but also complete guitars (the "Dream Machines"). Instruments made during that period of Schecter are regarded as very high quality and great sounding instruments.

But I don't want to bore you with its history so I would like to refer you to the following sites.

https://www.mk-guitar.com/2010/10/22/the-schecter-story-schecter-guitar-research-dream-machines-the-van-nuys-era/
https://www.schecterguitars.com/about
https://foxyguitars.com/

This passive bass was bought in Germany in 1983. It is made of a 2 piece Koa body (no laminate, solid Koa). Neck and fretboard are made from one piece of wood. I am not a 100% sure but I guess it is Pau Ferro. All brass hardware. Nut 43mm. Volume, Volume, Tone. The volume knobs have a push/pull function each. I am not exactly sure what they do electrics wise but they take a bit of that punch and aggression from the tone and add a bit of warmth.

When it was bought in 1983 it was decided to make it a fretless bass so the frets were professionally taken off and the nut was adjusted.

Since I am not a fretless player I brought it to a professional luthier over here in Munich (Stevens Guitars) to get it refretted with Dunlop 6110 Medium Jumbo frets. It also received a new brass nut. That cost me 400 EUR. Now, the fretboard looks and feels and plays like new.

The bass itself is a beast in all aspects and if it were not that heavy I would not sell it. Of course there are dings&dongs all over the body but nothing major. The electronics work but there are two very small issues I have to mention. There is a wee bit of noise on the J volume pot and on the tone pot if you use them. The luthier told me that over the years dust found its way into those pots and he could not clean them completely. It did not bother me because I usually do not touch them during a song.

My asking price is 1600 EUR or whatever this is in GBP - Price for shipping within the European Union is included.

For shipping I will dismount the neck.

Payment by PayPal (Family&Friends because I don't want to pay fees), or bank transfer or cash when you pick it up in Munich.

I might consider a trade for a +/- 4 Kilo Precision bass + partial payment.

More pictures on request.

Thanks a lot
Daniel

DSC-0057-01 Schecter-Hals-Back-2 Schecter-J-Pickup Schecter-Korpus-Back Schecter-Korpus-Front

B: Warmoth PJ
E: Warmoth 7/8 HS Strat
U: Ana'Ole Spruce/Mango 6 String
A: Yamaha FS850
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom