What's your favourite Klon clone.. and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Sorry to butt in but...what are the differences in these circuits? Is there anywhere I can check out how the klon works?

Most of them are just pure clones like the Golden Eagle but some are a bit different.

Some of the cheaper ones like the soul food don't use germanium clipping and some like the Tumnus are an interpretation of a Klon in that case with more bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26910
    edited August 2019
    I liked the Fredric GE because it was pretty. I like my Archer because it's small (and pretty). I like my Arc v2 because it reminds me of the trip to Japan I was on when I bought it. 

They all sound pretty much the same - people shouldn't overthink it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    My one and only klon klone is the Juan Solo one...none better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Danny1969 said:
    The Soulfood is a pretty good copy of a Klon circuit wise and in the right amp (Fender) it can sound superb. It's got some issues though

The pots are terrible, cheap plastic crap that move too easily and go faulty. As one is dual gang in an inline arrangement replacement can be be a pain 

There is no polarity protection. Although there is a reverse biased diode on the DC socket it won't go SC until after both TLO72's and the 7660 voltage doubler chip are fried... as all are SM components replacement isn't easy. 

Some people aren't aware there's a switch inside for true bypass or buffered ... this can make a difference depending on your setup 
    This is so true. I used to mod these for people changing the germanium diodes but I stopped because the pots would occasionally crumble in my hands! Unbelievable. EHX makes some great sounding pedals, especially their octave and pitch stuff, but I will never ever buy one because of the poor unreliable quality of the parts used. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I have both the gold and silver Jrad Archer pedals (incidentally they're sequential in their serial numbers too!)

They're ideal for what I use them for, after the drives for a volume and slight gain boost. 

They put a good amount of mids back into the signal for solos and with an amp with good headroom they really lift the volume rather than compressing it.

And they work great on their own through loads of different amps.

I did have a Soul Food, and tried it in the same place in the chain as the Archers, but it just lacked the fullness and tone of the Archers.

The switch failed on the silver archer last year, it was about 5yrs old by then, but I contacted Jrad and they sent me a new switch foc straight away.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1287
    Has anyone tried any of the Decibelics Klones? They have some impressive video demos on YouTube 
  • Tone Bakery Crème de la Crème

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2247983-tone-bakery-creme-de-la-creme-boost-overdrive-pedal

It's an overdrive and a boost.

...a SparKlon, if you will...   :#
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I've had two original Klon's back in the day.

The Ceriatone Centura I just got off @MajorDude sounds good to my ear and without the ability to side by side with one of my originals I think it's as close as I can get.

Rob.

• They all sound pretty much the same - people shouldn't overthink it. 
    This. My favourite is the Juan Solo Klone because it's the one I own. 

I do like that the Zombie Klone has zombie in the name and is daphne blue though.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I like the Tumnus Deluxe.  It's nice to have the extra EQ.

I did have a Klon KTR when they first came out. Great at what it did, but not as versatile as the Tumnus Deluxe.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4683
    edited August 2019

Got to be my Juansolo.  The best I’ve ever tried by a long way.  
    Also the only one I’ve ever tried, but that’s beside the point.

http://80.229.1.38/~juansolo/stompage/images/Kloon-o.jpg

• Ryra Klone, because when I compared it directly to an actual Klon it sounded identical.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Never tried an actual Klon but had a few "Klones" (Arc, Tumnus Deluxe & Mini, Soul Food) Whilst they they have all been v good, for me the RYRA is the one that has lasted and has become my preferred choice and now a permanent fixture on my board. 
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Been using the MXR Sugar Drive and really enjoying how it sounds as a dirty boost. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited August 2019
    My favourite is this one: http://80.229.1.38/~juansolo/stompage/images/uniklone-o.jpg

Not just because it sounds great, but also because it it has a unicorn with rainbows flying out of its arse.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    My favourite is this one

Not just because it sounds great, but also because it it has a unicorn with rainbows flying out of its arse.

Mine too, for all the same reasons.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've always wanted to build a Klon with this dude on the front but no one I've built a Klon for has let me.  

It seems appropriate for the Klon @juansolo ;

https://i.imgflip.com/2z5m.jpg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Matt thankfully allows me to indulge in some of my madder decals ;) I really think I peaked with that Klone though...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    juansolo said:
    Matt thankfully allows me to indulge in some of my madder decals ;) I really think I peaked with that Klone though...
    That was a particularly special one.  
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    My favourite is the one I have, I don't own the others so can't compare.