Tung oil on unlacquered fretboard?

One of my Charvels has an unlacquered maple fretboard which after playing it a period of time starts to pick up grime and starts to look dirty.

I’ve read one way to avoid this is to use tung oil to seal the fretboard...is this correct and does anybody have experience of doing this and what if any effects this may have on the guitar.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Not tung oil, but I used Crimson Guitars finishing oil on the maple fretboard of my first build. I only put a couple of light coats on it, then sanded it to 1500-2000 (can't remember which) and gave it a polish, came up a treat and never picked up any gunk. At least, no more than any matte-lacquered board.
    <space for hire>
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    I've used Danish Oil (which I believe is the same thing) on a raw maple neck and it works very well. Three or four light coats, rubbed down between each. A few months later it had become rock hard with a smooth finish and very hard wearing. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I've used Danish oil too, applied similar to the above, and had good results
  • Liberon Finishing oil is very light probably the same construct as the Crimson oil. It’s almost a wipe on varnish as it has shellac in it, I used it on the back of the neck of my SRV signature, works really well.
  • Thanks for the advice...have used a couple of coats of Crimson finishing oil which has worked a treat. In your experience does this need to be reapplied periodically, and if so what would be advised?