Would You Say You Had A Wide Taste In Music?

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Any goes for me except opera. Does that make me narrow minded?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    Aria kidding me?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    drofluf said:
    Seriously, try the Magic Flute.
    It is incredibly good and fun, even funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    octatonic said:
    drofluf said:
    worst

chatup

line

ever. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    octatonic said:
    drofluf said:
    I did, I’m afraid it left me cold. I’ve possibly tried harder with opera than anything else but it does nothing for me. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:
    drofluf said:
    worst

chatup

line

ever. 
    Works in Knightsbridge fella.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    octatonic said:
    VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:
    drofluf said:
    worst

chatup

line

ever. 
    Works in Knightsbridge fella.
    oooo 'ark at mr lahdedah. When I was your age, we didn't have no magic flute in knightsbridge, the best we could hope for was a rusty whistle in hackney marshes. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Don't most people have a wide taste? I find that you just accumulate more options as you age. Actually, when I say most people, I mean most people who are into music. My wife, my sister, my brother, my parents, I don't consider any of them to be music fans. They know what they like, they have a few records and that's about it. Pretty weird if you ask me. I have around 1000 vinyl, over 2000 CDs and I am always buying stuff. 
  • I used to say I had broad taste. But that was just bollocks. I'm blinkered and narrow minded.
  • I used to have quite a broad taste in music. But I don't anymore. Mostly listen to European metal - mostly melodeth - these days. And some prog rock. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    mostly melodeth ....
    Is that the band that sound like Megadeth except you can hum the melodies?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited August 2019
    Not particularly. It's mostly all guitar based to some degree. It'll go from classic rock/bluesy stuff to pop punk, punk rock, grunge, a bit of indie, lots of current metal, proggy stuff and noise rock. Within the rock and metal genres I have some diversity but I'm not really into much with even clean guitars in. The general theme needs to have at least some grit and excitement in it otherwise I lose interest.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    This is one of those threads that gets very competitive, and I'm not competitive...

In fact I'm the least competitive, so I win...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    drofluf said:
    octatonic said:
    drofluf said:
    I did, I’m afraid it left me cold. I’ve possibly tried harder with opera than anything else but it does nothing for me. 

I didn't like opera, then i happened to get a ticket to the three tenors live (from when Pav was still around). 

I was one of those shitty metal heads (if it ain't metal it's shite type) - seeing the three tenors blew my mind. It was incredible. 

I was still a metalhead after that,, just less of the shitty type.

These days, i like to think I've broadened my tastes a lot. My collection is still mainly rock/metal etc, but there is classical, blues, hip hop/rap, electronica, funk, soul, gospel, drum and bass etc.. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited August 2019
    I think I do, but I always manage to meet someone who listens to a whole lot more different music than I do. So the more I listen to, sort of feels like the less I do.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Yes.

I like Waters AND Gilmour.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Yes. Anything from medieval music through to metal.

Particularly into jazz, soul and RnB, 30s and 40s swing, 20th century classical, early Baroque, and funk.

i don’t especially listen to much dance music — although I like a bit of classic electro, and stuff like Aphex Twin — and my hip-hop taste/knowledge probably peters out a bit circa early 2000s. With metal, ditto. 

I do tend to get into genres in phases, do a really obsessive deep dive into it, and then back off a bit. So at any one time, there might be one or two genres of music on heavy rotation, along with a general smattering of everything, but my whole collection is really diverse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    You've all got some range I'd say. I've tried very hard but can't get into classical. I'm ok with Jazz, Folk etc.. as long as there is some sort of guitar angle (can be very tenuous). If I said otherwise I'd be fibbing just to look cool.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    If I'm completely honest, probably not.

I suspect if we had long enough and you played me whole swathes of every genre, I'd probably find a few examples from each that I liked, but it would likely be a soul destroying process. But definitely not opera. Everything I've heard has been "soldering iron in eardrums" level of discomfort. But I don't think you can choose what you like- it either connects with you or it doesn't and being somewhat misophonic, if I don't like it, it's extremely irritating at best and intolerable at worst.

When people ask what kinds of genres I like, I find it difficult to answer. It would be easy to reply with, for instance, ambient/downtempo, but then there's so few bands from that genre that I think are good, that it probably isn't true, and that goes for every other genre too. I could tell you what bands I like with much more certainty. But even then, I will probably only like a specific period of that band's output. There are very few that I have found to be consistently good, Boards of Canada being a notable example.

So while I have a reasonably large record/CD collection, it's made up of surprisingly few bands. I've always been a picky bugger!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    TTBZ said:
    Not particularly. It's mostly all guitar based to some degree. It'll go from classic rock/bluesy stuff to pop punk, punk rock, grunge, a bit of indie, lots of current metal, proggy stuff and noise rock. Within the rock and metal genres I have some diversity but I'm not really into much with even clean guitars in. The general theme needs to have at least some grit and excitement in it otherwise I lose interest.
    @TTBZ You've probably summed up my taste better than I did.  I don't like exactly the same bands as you do but it is all pretty much guitar based and it does need, as you say, a bit of grit and excitement.