Suggestions requested...help me semi!

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
Just got hold of a near new Eastman T484 and looking to maybe change out the pickups, they are seymour duncan amd...OK, but everything else abouthe guitar is lovely, so just wondering what most people have in their semi's (oo-er missus)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5413
    Which Duncans? There is nothing inherently wrong with most of what they do.

Seth Lovers would be about the first ones I'd reach for personally in a semi or a hollowbody.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues humbuckers in mine, nevery heard anything better in a semi.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    horsehead said:
    Just got hold of a near new Eastman T484 and looking to maybe change out the pickups, they are seymour duncan amd...OK, but everything else abouthe guitar is lovely, so just wondering what most people have in their semi's (oo-er missus)

Stock Gibson pickups.  The newer ones are very good.  I have an ES Les Paul with MHS pickups.  Not sure what's in the 335 but they are good.  (Older ones like Classic 57s are less good).

You might be able to find some MHS pickups on Ebay.  Someone will probably be changing them out for the latest flavour of booteek expensiveness.

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    • Neck Pickup:Seymour Duncan Jazz Humbucker
    • Bridge Pickup:Seymour Duncan Classic 59 Humbucker
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5413
    horsehead said:
    And what don't you like about them?
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Whitecat said:
    horsehead said:
    And what don't you like about them?
    This. I also think we'd need to know what qualities you're after, what genres you like to play, maybe what amp you're mostly using, etc.

If it was me I'd suggest unpotted, low-ish output Alnico 2 pickups but if you're after a more rock n'roll thing that might not be the best bet.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    So I play mainly bluesy (surprise surprise) but in a soul and funk band. The pickups are fine but there's no ooomph to them, and as soon as I add any fuzz or overdrive (from the amp or pedal) they muddy up quite a bit. I understand that this could also be the pots etc. so I'll probably change those at the same time
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10345
    tFB Trader
    horsehead said:
    So I play mainly bluesy (surprise surprise) but in a soul and funk band. The pickups are fine but there's no ooomph to them, and as soon as I add any fuzz or overdrive (from the amp or pedal) they muddy up quite a bit. I understand that this could also be the pots etc. so I'll probably change those at the same time
    To my mind the best magnet choice for a humbucking pickup you are going to use with fuzz is alnico 3 ... the lowest magnet power of all the alnicos. Pickups using this don't muddy up nearly as easily as alnico 2 and stay 'string defined under quite silly amounts of gain.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I just installed a set of RadioShop PAF+ in an Epiphone Sheraton and they have totally transformed that guitar 
  • Mojos in mine. Gold Foil in the neck, P90 in the bridge. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    My 335 has unpotted Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, but I don't use fuzz to overdrive it.  However with a nice overdrive pedal (Klon style or Muff without the fuzz), it sounds really sweet.
    I tried some gold foils in a Novo and it sounded amazing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Stormy Monday’s in my Sheraton work a treat.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Also pots and caps in semis...are people using the standard 500s etc?