Bought CDs from a Charity Shop

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
As per title, I bought three CDs from a local Charity Shop on Saturday.  Not my normal music choice but the CDs can go to another Charity Shop if I don't like the music.  Not had a chance to listen to them yet, this is what I bought:

Aqualung, Jethro Tull

Recurring Dream, The Very Best of Crowded House

The Best of Radiohead

So was my purchase a Good Buy or a Good Bye

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    All good buy
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Don't know a lot about jethro tull but if you don't like best of crowded house or best of radiohead I would give up buying CDs : )
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I struggle with Radiohead but I love a bit of Tull. I suspect you'll like Crowded House the most based on other posts of yours. 

I do look at charity shop CDs but they seem to be mostly Dido.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Aqualung is OK but isn't my favourite Tull, I like the 'folk rock' era from Songs From The Wood to Broadsword best.

If you don't like Crowded House you should probably give up listening to music, since it clearly isn't for you :).

I can't stand Radiohead generally so I can't really give a balanced opinion on that... but a lot of people seem to like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Discovered that I had OK Computer CD and didn't think much of it when I got it years ago.  

Jethro Tull (the man not the band) was an interesting chap - amazing what you find when using Google.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Thread resurrection/diversion due to crap search function not bringing up many results... anyway -

This week's charity shop CD finds included not one but three Jethro Tull albums - all from the 80s, widely considered not Tull's best period by fans.

The Broadsword And The Beast
    Crest Of A Knave
    Rock Island

B&TB is one of my favourite albums, I had it on vinyl back in the day, but I only had a 'five albums in a cardboard box' CD copy at the moment so I bought that largely for the insert booklet. I really don't get why the Tull fans don't generally rate it as one of their very best. The lyrics are great, the melodies are perfect and although it's not the most varied and the production makes it sound a little too samey, it's still a magnificent album.

COAK is the album that notoriously won 'Best Hard Rock And Metal Album' at the Grammys - beating Metallica's And Justice For All - which is utterly silly, even if it was a great album. I saw Tull on the tour from this one in 1987, and also had the album on vinyl, and thought it was pretty good... but I have to say it hasn't really held up. The songs just aren't very good, the sounds are if anything even more dated than B&TB, and it lacks cohesion even within a song in some cases.

RI... oh dear. I'd never actually heard this one before, and it seems to be considered an inferior retread of COAK. It is. But worse. Tedious and uninspired.

So I return to my original opinion that Broadsword is the last great Tull album and ends rather fittingly with 'Cheerio'.

As you were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Presumably the best of Radio head is just Pablo Honey retitled. Maybe a couple of songs from The Bends, and Let Down as a bonus track. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Sporky said:
    Presumably the best of Radio head is just Pablo Honey retitled. Maybe a couple of songs from The Bends, and Let Down as a bonus track. 

It's a label-led attempt to get some more dosh out of the Radiohead catalogue before it transferred to it's new owners.  The band themselves hated the idea.

The 2CD version is actually a pretty decent selection of tracks, but in reality you need to listen to Radiohead's albums to get the band.

If your favourite Radiohead album is Pablo Honey, it's fair to say you are not a fan.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Rocker said:
    Jethro Tull (the man not the band) was an interesting chap - amazing what you find when using Google.
    Can't beat a truly effective seed drill.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

If your favourite Radiohead album is Pablo Honey, it's fair to say you are not a fan.
    They did leave me behind somewhat. The Bends is decent, OK Computer has a few really good tracks but a lot that do nothing for me. After that I was definitely lost!
    Sporky said:

They did leave me behind somewhat. The Bends is decent, OK Computer has a few really good tracks but a lot that do nothing for me. After that I was definitely lost!
    I was very much "with them on the journey" which helps a lot with Radiohead.

I remember buying Kid A on the day of release, discussing with a few friends who were fans.  Pretty much an even split between people in the "masterpiece" category, where I found myself, and people who just missed Jonny Greenwood trying to snap his own arm off too much.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1410
    I always thought that J. Greenwood was the secret weapon in the band. His contributions are the most interesting to me.

Oh no! I too am left behind.

Those three CDs should provide some value - a good buy even if you don't like any of em. Good songs, well arranged and produced with some tasty guitar (and flute?)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22792
    edited May 2023
    ICBM said:
    If you don't like Crowded House you should probably give up listening to music, since it clearly isn't for you .

I don't like Crowded House.  So, anyone want a few thousand CDs and LPs (no Crowded House or Split Enz included)?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    If you don't like Crowded House you should probably give up listening to music, since it clearly isn't for you .

I don't like Crowded House.  So, anyone want a few thousand CDs and LPs (no Crowded House or Split Enz included)?

Don't dream its over @Philly_Q ...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It’s a meh from me. I’m a big prog fan but I’ve never liked Tull. Radiohead I find incredibly boring. Crowded house are the sort of band where I would see their greatest hits in a charity shop, buy it thinking it was a good idea, then literally never play it. Some bands sound good on the radio at times, but sit through 12 tracks in a row - nah.
    axisus said:
    ICrowded house are the sort of band where I would see their greatest hits in a charity shop, buy it thinking it was a good idea, then literally never play it. 
    You are rocker, and ICM £5
    I gave Kid A another go.

Nope. Left me behind. Never mind.