Taylor V-series

What's Hot
youngscyoungsc Frets: 13
edited August 2019 in Acoustics
I tried a Taylor 322ce V-series at the weekend and admit to be seriously impressed. In the past I have tried several Taylor acoustics and found the tones a little dull, neither as deep and resonant as a Martin nor as sustained and shimmery as a Lowden or Fylde. However the V-series model I played had a beautiful crystal clear tone and lovely sustain. Anyone else noticed the difference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited August 2019
    Tried a couple at a local dealer that rhymes with pander tonnes.

It was OK. Not life-changing, IMO. More noticeable at the dusty end of the fretboard, so if you're a flashy acoustic soloist it's definitely an upgrade, but if you're all about the cowboy chords and the first position then I can't see where the extra money is worthwhile.

Edit: to clarify, by "extra money" I mean the fact that you can pick up the old X-braced versions at deep discounts, which is what I did in the end on my 12-fret which I got at 40% off.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    If Taylor start offering 1 11/16" nut widths with a V profile neck then I might take an interest, but with the normal Taylor neck I don't really care what they sound like.  It's not as if my Martin sounds bad.
  • I thought the same. I tried one a few weeks ago and it really rang out, making the Martin D28 they had sound like I was listening to it through an old sock.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Interesting - I'll have to try one if I can find a lefty. I really wanted to like Taylors when I returned to playing a couple of years ago. I've had three of the old bracing models (a GS Mini Koa, 214 CEN and 414CE) and all have been a bit of a disappointment.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I thought the same. I tried one a few weeks ago and it really rang out, making the Martin D28 they had sound like I was listening to it through an old sock.
    I don't do 1 3/4" nuts and the Taylor neck profile
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    youngsc said:
    I tried a Taylor 322ce V-series at the weekend and admit to be seriously impressed. In the past I have tried several Taylor acoustics and found the tones a little dull, neither as deep and resonant as a Martin nor as sustained and shimmery as a Lowden or Fylde. However the V-series model I played had a beautiful crystal clear tone and lovely sustain. Anyone else noticed the difference?
    In short, yes. Never been a big fan of Taylor acoustics but the V series ones sound markedly different, and far superior, to my ears.