Phasers and tremolos - what's everyone using?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Although I like my Strymon Flint tremolo a lot, I barely use the reverb as I prefer to get it from my amp. So, I'm thinking; what if I sell the Flint and buy a tremolo pedal and also get a phaser?

I'd miss the harmonic tremolo from the Flint, but I guess I'd get more variety from two dedicated pedals.

What are you chaps using that you'd recommend? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Flint or empress if I need more options
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    For trem the CKK Frogman. One of the nicest basic trems I've found, sounds lush and rich.
    For phase, I use the mxr Phase 95 as it's so flexible (2 & 4 stage with script option for each). For superlative phase tone I use the DOD Phasor 201.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    JezWynd said:
    For trem the CKK Frogman. One of the nicest basic trems I've found, sounds lush and rich.
    For phase, I use the mxr Phase 95 as it's so flexible (2 & 4 stage with script option for each). For superlative phase tone I use the DOD Phasor 201.

The MXR 95 looks good but I just don't get on with small form pedals. The knobs are too fiddly. 

I'll check out the Frogman and the DOD Phasor, thanks. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2019
    I love messing round with my flanger hoax. It's not a flanger (it's a hoax!) it's two phasers with lots of different controls. Anything from nice subtle phase to crazy feedbacking weirdness! Maybe not for everyone though. 

Actually it might have a flanger in it!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Fuengi said:
    JezWynd said:

The MXR 95 looks good but I just don't get on with small form pedals. The knobs are too fiddly. 

I agree with you regarding mini pedals, I don't get on with them either usually. The Phase 95 though, has a single knob, for phase speed and two buttons to select 45/90 and script/normal, so it's actually a very simple, well thought out little box (as are most mxr pedals I find).
    JezWynd said:
    Fuengi said:
    JezWynd said:

I agree with you regarding mini pedals, I don't get on with them either usually. The Phase 95 though, has a single knob, for phase speed and two buttons to select 45/90 and script/normal, so it's actually a very simple, well thought out little box (as are most mxr pedals I find).

I'll look out for one and give it a try. 
    Just checked out a demo of the DOD Phasor 201 that's a cracking sounding pedal. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    I get perverse pleasure in relying AxeFX to all such questions.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Subdecay Vagabond is my tremolo of choice, does both normal and harmonic trem very well, and there's some envelope sensitivity too, so you can set it to slow down or speed up the harder you hit it. Perfect for adding a slightly unsettling edge to things that you can't quite put your finger on, I find.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    The Supro tremolo pedal is great and has a nice Harmonic trem mode.  Not much less expensive than a Flint though.

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2019
    ICBM-modded original MXR script phase 90
    Keeley-modded Boss TR2

Both sound amazing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I really like the Small Stone. I've tried to replicate that sound with the HX Stomp (which has other, pretty decent phasers), but have toyed occasionally with re-buying the Nano Small Stone.

I preferred the Small Stone to various more expensive Univibe style pedals, for that Gilmour (or Radiohead) sound.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Walrus Monument trem, phase 90 or 95
  • I've been using a Monte Allums modded Boss TR2 for as long as I can remember, it is awesome.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have a lot of phasers, but the ones I keep coming back to are the Ibanez PT-9 and a modified DIY Small Stone clone.
    The modification allows me to adjust the amount of feedback in Colour mode and I find that the best sounds are with it set between 10%-25%. It sounds so damn good that it's a wonder EHX lets those sounds go unexploited. Honestly, it's a bit of an eargasm!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    edited August 2019
    A few years back I bought loads of phasers, then cut back to the one I loved the best - MXR Phase 100. Four usable depth/regen settings, and a speed control with a rubber cap so that you can adjust it with your foot.

My gigging tremolo is the Subdecay Vagabond which has both bias and harmonic modes. Also a big shout out for the Danelectro Cool Cat Trem - lovely throbby opto tremolo in a metal enclosure that won’t break the bank.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Roland said:
    I get perverse pleasure in relying AxeFX to all such questions.
    Ha ha - I use an Atomic Amplifire for all my phase and trem needs. Takes a little setting up to get it right though.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    edited August 2019
    Check out the Mooer Treilcopter.  Phase 90 Custom Shop all the way
    Some great suggestions. Can't help thinking how nice the artwork is on the new Walrus Audio Lillian... 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    whirlwind phaser (but i prefer univibe!), amp tremolo.