Your Top 3 Amps For Clean Sounds

What's Hot
Straw poll, exactly as the title says, what are the best 3 amps for clean tones that you have ever owned/tried? If you can explain why you like them, please do, but not essential.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    edited August 2019
    Carr Rambler
    Redplate RP40/50/Blackverb
    Magnatone Twilighter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    The only amp I can recall having that was much of a clean machine is my current AC30. All that power and 2 big ol Blues moving a ton of air. Makes me think of Luther Vandross. Huge range and power but always smooth and feeling like it’s all in first and second gear. 

• Matchless DC30
    Magnatone Twilighter
    Louis Electric Columbia
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I've got a Matchless Lightning and early Bad Cat Black Cat 30 that have similar and lovely cleans. The Bad Cat obviously has better headroom. I've also got a Morgan DAG that has very nice cleans, not so bright as the other two. 

I know you said 3 and owned, but number 4 was a borrowed 90s Twin, the cleans were a thing of beauty. I played my 1952 ES125 at a funeral and the cleans were amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slacker said:
    I've got a Matchless Lightning and early Bad Cat Black Cat 30 that have similar and lovely cleans. The Bad Cat obviously has better headroom. I've also got a Morgan DAG that has very nice cleans, not so bright as the other two. 

I know you said 3 and owned, but number 4 was a borrowed 90s Twin, the cleans were a thing of beauty. I played my 1952 ES125 at a funeral and the cleans were amazing. 
    Was it a 1994 Twin, black knobs, effects loop, gain channel?
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

Polytone Minibrute 2
    Yamaha G100 112 mk2
    Fender Pro Reverb
  • Laney Lionheart
    Reeves Custom 50
    Morgan AC20
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    slacker said:

Yes I think so it had a 20w switch on the back. It had loads of headroom. 
  • slacker said:
    slacker said:

Yes I think so it had a 20w switch on the back. It had loads of headroom. 
    That’s the one. Just glorious cleans and I really likes the gain channel as well... and the low power option means I can just about use one at home... possibly... hmmm.
    Your back might not forgive you. 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    My current amp. A Hamstead artist 60rt is fantastic at the clean stuff. It’s not an American style clean though. Has a vintage British sound. Sounds like it has a bit of Hiwatt dna in there to me. It also takes pedals better than any amp I've played/owned.
    others that I like are pretty much all the amps Chris at Rift builds and the like wise Fenders.
    I'm also a fan of mist of the Two rock amps I’ve played. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Mesa Blue Angel. Best clean tone and best reverb of any amp ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2019
    Divided by 13 JRT9/15 - almost a 3-D sound that has some compression to it. I recently sold mine and replaced it with a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 - the Mesa gets close to it on the cleans and is good enough and a more versatile amp that allows for more variation on the cleans than the Divided, but the JRT just has something special over it and takes pedals much better. Choose between 9 watts of 6V6s or 15 watts of EL84s. Having been a long-time fan of 6V6s, and 6L6s, this was the amp that converted me to EL84s.

Fender Deluxe Reverb - This amp for me, and its derivatives, plus it's a great pedal platform. Probably the amp I'll end up with again when I'm not playing live or just occasionally, and the amp I look to play through in guitar shops as a good reference point if trying pedals or using my own board to try a guitar. A few mods, tweaks and it to the trem and speaker but the core clean sound it wonderful.

Fender Frontman 212R - Yep. I used one recently and thought it was the best SS amp I'd played through. It matched and possibly surpassed a wonderful Roland JC-180 (4x10) I used to use for backline gigs. It had a really strong and
    percussive/full-bodied Fender-inspired clean tone and it took pedals superbly. I hear they have reliability issues but if I saw one cheap and fully working, I'd probably bite the bullet and nab one for home.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Low gain input on Cornell Romany Plus. 

Rhythm 1 channel on MESA/Boogie Quad Pre-Amp.

Er, something else. Probably, a Roland JC120.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    JTM45, Silver Jubilee and AC30 are the only amps I've really enjoyed playing clean on. I just don't like the super sparkly Fendery/American clean.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    +1 for Matchless Lightning which is loud for a 15w amp. You may need to mic the clean sound depending on how loud your drummer is. The overdriven sound of the amp is great (to my ears) and can be cleaned up with the volume on your guitar. My preferred setting is master wide open and pre-amp at 2 o' clock with guitar volume rolled off for rythym and up a smudge for solos.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Matchless DC30
    Fender Super Reverb
    Vox AC30
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Definitely not as expert (or widely experienced with different amps as some here):

silverface Fender Deluxe reissue.  My default "trying things in shops" amp, if they have one, and some of the best sounds I've ever heard from anything were a 1960s student model Fender (Musicmaster, I think) through a silverface Deluxe.

Park 50 watt plexi type -- biased, since this is the amp I actually have, but really rich woody cleans, very fast pick attack. I'm not entirely sure _what_ model it is, relative to the Marshalls, since the Parks are a bit different from the Marshalls. Mine has 6L6s in it (although it should probably have KT88s). Too loud for me to plug in with any regularity, sadly. Also, no reverb, obviously.

Laney Lionheart -- as per someone else above. I've been very surprised by how great these sound, whenever I've tried one.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    - Louis Electric Columbia
    - MESA Blue Angel
    - Custom Sound something or other from the 70’s/80’s - probably not amazing in the grand scheme of things but it was the first big box amp I had with a 12” speaker and reverb... and I thought it sounded lovely.