Your Top 3 Amps For Clean Sounds

What's Hot

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    1) supersonic 22
    2) prosonic
    3) 90's twin
    I've never played them next to eachother but i'm sure it would still be a toss up between the first two unless we're talking very loud, (outdoor gig) when the twin wins. The reverb on the prosonic would win.
    I'd like to try some of the boutique versions of the classic fenders but being a thrifty sort don't think the extra je ne sais quoi would warrant the doubling of the budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Fender Blues Delux Reissue MKIII
    Fender Blues Junior MKIII
    Fender Twin Reverb
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Who’d have thought Clean could be subjective? I have waz’s Redplate, beautiful bf clean, yet it didn’t make my top 3. Mine:
    1) Sound City mk3 100 watt into 4x12. 
    2) Marshall Superbass 100 watt into two 4x12 g12h30
    3) Kelly soundmaster into mixed 4x12
    3b) Marshall Artiste ‘72 combo

The Sound City has a punchy clean as high as you go. The superbass, before it overdrives, is the clean Hendrix and close to heaven. The kelly has the warmest clean of them all, helped by the mixed speakers. The Artiste has sparkle, slim yet solid, Reminiscent of srv’s little wing. 

The 4x12 cabs are essential for strong clean. 
  • Love the Two Rock Cleans. Had a few already, currently super happy with the Custom Reverb Sig. Has super wide frequency spectrum (very "full"), big and tight lows, no piercing highs. Sounds a tad darker and fatter, which works extremely well with SC/my Strat.

Other amps I'd love to try:
    Big iron Hiwatt
    Fender Blackface anything
    JTM45
    Dr. Z EZG50
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited August 2019
    Rivera Jazz Suprema. I have a 50 watt version, which has been my main home Amp for years. It's designed, as it's name suggests, to be a clean amp. I love the sound from it, and it's got a fine Reverb.

Rift Vibroverb '63. Just a superb sounding Amp, and again with a really good Reverb and Tremolo.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited August 2019
    Komet Constellation - awesome drive sound and as for cleans - that's what the volume control is for

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Mark1960 said:
    Fender Twin Reverb
    I'd take issue with a BJ doing cleans - the break-up starts with the gain on 2-3, it's not a clean amp at all (irrespective what you think of the actual sound) - that's the whole point of it.  The Pro-Junior is a lot better at cleans.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    Nice to see I’m still in a club of one  =)
  • dazzajl said:
    Really like the AC30, though might be a bit much for home use (even though I've been sorely tempted by a 1994 Twin!), and for home an AC15 is really lovely for cleans. My Blues Jnr IV has just been put up for sale, so an AC15 may be an option.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    dazzajl said:
    Really like the AC30, though might be a bit much for home use (even though I've been sorely tempted by a 1994 Twin!), and for home an AC15 is really lovely for cleans. My Blues Jnr IV has just been put up for sale, so an AC15 may be an option.
    It’s a bit much for any use, short of a stadium. Totally stupid thing to buy!

It has become my night noodling amp of choice though. It’s happy quiet and there’s something nice about all that untapped power 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    That's why I mentioned the Morgan AC20, it's got a unique and very good way of attenuating. And sounds superb - VOX inspired cleans, I believe.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Hiwatt 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dazzajl said:
    That's why I mentioned the Morgan AC20, it's got a unique and very good way of attenuating. And sounds superb - VOX inspired cleans, I believe.
    There was a pre-owned AC20 in GG Camden recently for £999. It sounded wonderful with a Tele. I’ve found Voxes generally love single coils.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    block letter 5150
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    impmann said:
    Hiwatt 200
    FTFY :)

It's not just about even more headroom - I actually preferred the 200 to the 400, it has a deeper and more 'spacious' sound somehow... the 400 is tighter and a bit flatter-sounding. Not sure why. The 400 does sound absolutely huge for bass though.

Also not mentioned yet - Ampeg Super Echo Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    My 3 would be:
    - two rock sp35
    - lazy j20 (magical with teles)
    - fender 59 bassman
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I seem to like traditionally dirty amps for cleans.
    Love my j20 for this - Even with a les Paul - but with a tele it has a gorgeous slightly compressed clean. 
    Surprisingly I love my JCM 800 2x12 on the Lo Input for cleans - it’s really lovely with some reverb added. 
    Also very much enjoyed a Badcat Black Cat 15r
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Bogner Goldfinger 45, love this amp so much.

Maz 18 *Whistles*

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Another carr rambler fan here,owned one for well over a decade ....
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Jalapeno said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Fender Twin Reverb
    I'd take issue with a BJ doing cleans - the break-up starts with the gain on 2-3, it's not a clean amp at all (irrespective what you think of the actual sound) - that's the whole point of it.  The Pro-Junior is a lot better at cleans.
    As you say, the breakup starts with the gain around 2-3. Below that is a decent clean platform in my humble opinion :)