My First Gig - 1979 Van Halen Concert at The Rainbow,

KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
I just found a recording of the whole gig. Not bad quality and it's pretty clear on the instruments and vocals (some good bvs there from EVH and Michael Anthony).

EVH was in fine form and his guitar sound is great and more VH1 and VH2 - if memory serves me, this was around the time of the 3rd album, Women and Children First

My ears were ringing for days after this and to date, it's probably the loudest gig I've ever been to.

It's a shame The Rainbow closed as a music venue. Some very iconic performances and recordings took place there including the supposed first burning of a guitar by Hendrix.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    good find, and to think the best was yet to come, Fair Warning was the peak for me, but 1984 is classic, didnt know they toured here as headliners, only that they supported Sabbath, and got sacked because they were too hard to follow. I saw them at Donnington in 85, wish there was more footage of that show-the only track i see online is hot for teacher, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Wow, what a superb first gig! I love the first two albums, but then wasn't keen on the next three, 1984 being a return to form. These days I prefer listening to the Hagar era to be honest. I saw them live during that period and it was a great gig, although I do recall thinking that Michael Anthony's 'solo spot' was a waste of time - basically him running around with a Jack Daniels bass making clanking noises.

I also think that the Van Halen III record with Cherone is better than people give it credit for.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Most of their albums have something but I seem to listen to Fair Warning and VH 1&2 the most although I loved Sammy's voice.