New machine heads question

What's Hot
Just got some new Gotoh tuners for the new neck on the new Tele...SD91-MGs

The question is how tight should the bushes be?  Should the tuner shaft wobble about in the hole?

The ones I have are an easy push in/out fit, suggesting that they are the wrong size.  I measured the holes with my digital calipers which came out at about 8.7/8.8mm, suggesting that vintage was the correct size, rather than 10mm. 
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    A small amount of waggle between the ferrule and the stringing post is normal.

If the ferrules themselves are not firmly into the headstock, they will rise up the posts when the strings are fully tensioned.

The solution is adapter bushings. I have a few sets stashed away somewhere.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Is it the new bushings which are loose with regard to the post, or are you re-using old bushings? A small amount of play is likely, but it shouldn't be excessive. If memory serves me correctly the Gotoh vintage Kluson style have 6.35mm posts, whilst the vintage locking variant have 6mm posts. And many Fender reissues require bushings with an O.D. of 9.2mm rather than the vintage correct 8.8mm.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Your post is a bit confusing - if the bushes are slipping in and out easily and the holes measure 8.8mm then the bushes would seem to be an unusual size as regular vintage as supplied with the Gotohs is 8.8mm. However if too small then the MG set should also come with 9.2mm bushes which may be a better fit with a little sanding.
    Firm finger pressure to fit is the ideal with bushes - I cringe when seeing youtube videos of folks hammering bushes in - that's how you split the headstock.
    EDIT>>if it;'s the Fender 51 neck you have posted about I believe they come with 9.2mm holes for Ping Wells tuners, so the 9.2mm bushes are what you need. There may be some finish build-up in the holes that needs cleaning out which would help with installation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Thanks guys.  It’s all new stuff so I think 9.2mm makes sense.  The holes are most definitely not 10mm.
    Aha.  Found the bigger bushes hidden in the packaging so all is well - they are very tight though :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    As long as they go in with hand pressure they’re fine - you shouldn’t hammer them in, but only finger tight is a bit too loose - ideally they need to be about tight enough that you need to put the headstock on a flat surface and push them in with a piece of scrap wood or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Judicious use of a small piece of 2x2 will be tried on Saturday when (if) I get back from London.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    ICBM said:
    you shouldn’t hammer them in
    Nor should you need to hammer them out.

The Gotohs should come with a bespoke rod tool. Come removal time, this is inserted from the rear of the headstock. It engages properly with the rim of the bushing. ICBM's "push with scrap wood block" method should suffice.
    I have the bespoke rod.  I hope I never have to use it. :)
    On reflection, Bespoke Rod sounds like a character from The Fast Show. :)