Any apps/websites you'd recommend?

What's Hot
I'm looking at signing up to one of these music tuition apps/websites as, they suit me better for learning guitar due to time and money constraints.

I've looked at GuitarTricks (which I think is a touch expensive), Yousician and the fender app, and am trying to decide between them.

Does the Fretboard Community have any takes on this?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    I use Anytune; not a teaching app per se, but allows you to slow down a mp3 file to work out how it’s played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    I quite like Truefire
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited August 2019
    Here is a really informative video about Yousician and Guitar Tricks that's worth checking before you make your decision: http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GkgDD3W3c

It ultimately recommends JustinGuitar/Guitar Tricks + Rocksmith as a better solution.

Personally I would agree, I feel that Rocksmith is a FAR superior piece of software than Yousician in terms of a practice tool to supplement your main learning source. 

It has much better features for Isolating and adjusting speed or complexity of sections of the songs useful for learning. And there is a huge user-created custom song library (currently at 40,000 songs), as well as the 1200+ official downloadable songs. Also, the visual format is very intuitive for sight-reading and pretty simple to pick up.

I'd recommend saving the money you were planning to spend on Yousician, to instead buy Rocksmith and a ABY splitter (Bright Onion do a good one for about £60), so that you can play along using your amp / hardware modeller, rather than the in-built software modelling, which is very dated and also suffers from latency due to no ASIO support.

Or, you can pick up a cheap audio interface and use modelling software/fx with low latency. I use Mackie's "The Producer" which is the equivalent of the popular Focusrite Scarlett and it works perfectly (Scarlett has some driver issues I believe, perhaps only on Mac). Software wise I'd recommend Scuffham S-Gear as best price/performance, or free VSTs (some of which sound great). This is what I am doing currently since my amp is in need of repair and it work's great.

It's a shame that Rocksmith seems to suffer from a failure of branding, and widespread perception that it is a game rather than a practice tool. It's essentially Guitar Pro on steroids, and really makes the "repertoire" aspect of learning easy, and fun.

Or you could ditch Guitar Tricks, and use JustinGuitar instead which is free, and then throw in the extra money you save from not paying for a Yousician towards a guitar tutor once a month.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shit, fucked up the link, it's: