Cheap PA for practice room? Amp+mixer mainly... got speakers....

What's Hot
Anyone got a recommendation for a cheap PA for a practice room? We have some Peavey XT2 speakers, but the amp has done a buggerer. Wanna replace.

Was thinking a poweramp and a mini-mixer, as we only need a handful of channels. Any suggestions?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    edited August 2019
    Currently Turbosound are knocking out the last of their milan range.
    These are turbo sound speakers with Klark Tecknik power/processing. The M10 is 600w and about £230 each if you can find some. They are so plug and play it's not true and the sound belies thier low cast. The new replacement turbosound i10 is over £600 each. If you only need two inputs you don't even need a mixer! there are also 12" and 15" versions, but for vocals the 10s are great and also make excellent monitors for the live gig.

Otherwise old tech power amps are dirt cheap as are small used mixers. You could probably power  those peaveys and a mixer for £150 but it will sound very average. They light up when you get decent power into them so a PV2600 power amp properly throttled and fed clean signal will be good, but at that point you are almost spending what the milans would for far less quality, especially if you move on those peaveys. Down side is if some brain dead individual is let loose turning everything up to 11, the peaveys will probably last longer, although the Klark Tecknik processing does limit the signal/damage very well but audibly.

Edit, the Milans do mark easily if you don't have covers for hauling them about. Not relevent if they stay put.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited August 2019
    Safe to say brain dead individuals is what we're dealing with here, because we share a practice room with a bunch of punk and doom bands who crank the fuck out of the existing PA, regardless of how shit it sounds.

I'm loath to spend £400+ on a couple of powered monitors. That's why I was looking to go cheap as possible and utilize the current monitors.

For our needs it's vocals and some synthy samples. Drums wouldn't be going through it.

Bye!

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    These older Peavey PV2600 power amps can withstand terrible abuse and keep soldiering on for 20 years, Perfect for a practice room

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-PV-2600-Power-Amplifier-1800-watts-RMS-Band-Disco-Club-DJ-PV2600/202755229287?hash=item2f35274667:g:4JsAAOSwj4VchcEY

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    When they break it - get another

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Certainly band would die before the amp.

You'd need to stump up for a mixer too - get something 6+ channels that's disposable.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    I've never owned that model but suspect it's just as bullet proof as the 2600. Good price too !

A good mixer to go with it is a PV10 .... I have one and done hundreds of rehearsals and gigs with it 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-PV10-USB-Mixer-w-Built-In-Effects-Mixing-Console/323886666142?hash=item4b6926519e:g:KI0AAOSwyTtdWAXg
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've got a Mackie at the office I can probably borrow long-term for the mixer.

Looks like a Peavey PV1200, 1500, or 2600, would be the ones to go for. One on eBay is collection only which is a bit annoying.

Bye!

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I have a 2nd hand PA which we used in our practice room, which I am looking to move on. If you are interested I could send you details.
  • please do Mark!

Bye!

please do Mark!
    OK - I am down at the rehearsal room this evening, so I will get all the details and let you know. It's old but works well. We put the Sax, and vocals through, and also drive a couple of powered monitors.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    That PV1200 is the model designed more for installs anyway rather than 'touring' the lack of XLR inputs and banana posts on the outputs is the clue. The active DDT will go a long way to saving the drivers from abuse. I had an earlier PV 8.5C which lasted years getting thrashed hard several times a year. I sold it still working.

Because you have no 'processing' you'll want a mixer with a mid tone control for some feedback shaping.
    The problem with these kind of rigs is that the younguns want to be stupid loud, don't understand the PA and try to use a mish mash of mics made by Mattel and place them all wrong for feedback rejection. Often as not the searing feedback will kill a horn driver even though these HiSys boxes are pretty durable. The reason lots of riders used to say 'No Peavey' is because it was often owned by the uneducated rather than being of poor quality. Indeed a lot of thier gear was pretty durable.
  • For a rehearsal space mixer we've got a Mackie Profx8v2, thought we could get away with just that but ended up getting DBX EQ and Comp/gate, now can get the vocals super loud without worrying about feedback if needed
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Something like this... plenty powerful enough for a practice room and tough as old boots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-XR-680E-Powered-Mixer/293168853541

Or whatever Mark has, if it's similar!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

please do Mark!

Hi WDD - The amp is a Phonic Power Pod 740 Powered Mixer, with two speakers, and cables. If you are still interested, I have a couple of photos, one of the front, and one of the back. If you PM me your email I can send them to you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Mark1960 said:

The amp is a Phonic Power Pod 740 Powered Mixer
    That will do nicely. Looks like pretty much a copy of the Peavey I posted, or at least similar.

Going by Google image search it also has the largest heatsink I’ve ever seen on a PA amp, which can’t be a bad thing!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Even though I'm not a fan of powered mixers a second hand one might be a good cheap option here..Dynacord, Yamaha, etc
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    I've got a QSC that's built like a fucking tank, got it off beagle back in the MR days
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ