SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB headphones for recording/silent practice - fairly flat response, budget up to £50

What's Hot
Hi all

When practicing at home and recording, I use a cable out of the Phones/Rec from my Katana 100 into a Zoom R8 digital multitrack - it's humble but it's my preferred solution which is quick and effective. I'm by no means a pro, but I have some OK guitars and a nice pedalboard for making ambient jams using lots of reverb and delay pedals, loops and synth pedals. 

I'm currently using some old Sony headphones that are better suited to listening to iPods etc, and there's a definite bass boost as you get with these sorts of headphones. 

I'm looking for something with a fairly flat response so I can hear the music as-recorded, close enough to how it would be were I not using the headphones, without any boosted bass suited to particular styles of music etc. 

I've done searches on Amazon and Google etc but I'd like people's recommendations here as you guys are the ones using it for similar applications. 

Budget up to £50 - I don't need anything to fancy, just good enough for the methods described above. What do you use? Anyone selling? 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Presonus HD7's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited August 2019
    Presonus HD7's
    Are they what you use? On the Amazon page their product description keeps talking about "deep, rich bass" and "extended bass response" which isn't what I'm after - I want something with a fairly flat response so I can hear all aspects of the recording/playing clearly. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I use them with my Fractal AX8 and really like them. This review is accurate with my experience.

http://www.ucanplay.org.uk/review-presonus-hd7-monitoring-headphones/
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    IMHO, you get what you pay for with headphones, and if the budget is £50, you will have to try a few to get anything that you are happy with.
    I used a cheap set of sennheiser hd 2 somethings, that were £20 from sainsburys when I did my Uni course, 3 years in a rucksack, and they were cheap, and cheerful.
    When I had to do some actual work for submission, I realised I had no chance without reliable monitoring, so I did a bit of research and bought Senn HD650s, which were about £250, and I am glad I did, they were quite widely recommended, as being good for mixing on, by no means 'flat', but pretty close, and the price point means there was a lot of competition-I wasn't going to spend £500 on a pair, which was the next step up then.
    Your ears will get used to whatever you use, and comfort comes into it-for hours of practice.
    I wouldn't do hours of practice with phones, but I do hours unplugged, and have got used to my 650's so that a mix done on them translates pretty well when the track is played through shitty laptop speakers, and my phone.
    It is astonishing how bad things can sound when played back through half decent studio monitors though.
    Part of the process is learning how to compensate for the mix, using whatever you are mixing on, and making allowances.
    some good sales going on in supermarkets will probably get you something for your budget, and you can always get an exchange without too much fuss, good luck.