Telecaster with 24" neck - does it exist?

What's Hot
AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
Asking on behalf of a friend who would like a telecaster but would prefer a short neck.  Does such an instrument exist?  It doesnt have to be a Fender.  Any suggestions greatfully received.  Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, they called it a Jaguar !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304

Being serious... I don't know of any (proper) 24"-scale ones, but several makers including Anderson make Gibson-scale Teles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Not sure it would actually have the Tele twang with a shorter scale and lower string tension.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Am I right in thinking that Tokai did a 24 inch scale one? 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Thanks to all for you comments, much appreciated

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    ICBM said:

Argh my first electric, what a POS ! :s
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Squier used to have a thinline with 24", which looked like a really nice affordable guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I have a short scale tele body/neck that I had made years ago by Simms. I think it was Gibson scale? Not a thing that I use any more so I don't really remember.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Fender made a 24.5 inch scale Modern Player Tele I think .I never saw one.i think it had a different neck pickup to standard.
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    brooom said:
    Squier used to have a thinline with 24", which looked like a really nice affordable guitar.
    I had one of those Squire thinline Teles.......nice guitar it did have a Gibson scale length........(and could still twang!)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Warmoth do tele conversion necks which would take an existing tele down to a Gibson type scale. I guess other makers could do something similar.

The Godin Exit 22 was Telecasterish with a Gibson scale  ( IIRC essentially a Fender influenced guitar aimed at those who preferred a shorter scale).   

Fender did make a 24" scale telecaster a few years ago, the Modern Player Short Scale. Might be hard to find one as they were discontinued.  I don't know much about it but the Modern Players are usually sub £400 Chinese  made; there's an ended one on Gumtree for £325 so that seems an okay price if another turned up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    somewhat randomly across my vision came the Pure Salem Jimmy which is a sort of tele/ Mustang hybrid with a 24" scale. No UK distribution as far as I can see but if anyone ever distributes them here:

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    brooom said:
    They were 24-3/4", not 24".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fender also make the Duo Sonic. The modern ones have a 24" scale. The older ones are even shorter.

I tried out on some 3 years ago and was impressed. It has ceramic pickups, but it certainly sounds like a Fender. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Again, my greatful thanks; great reponse and much appreciated.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited August 2019
    I have been after a short scale tele for ages as well and the only one that seems suitable is the Squier Thinline 24.75” one which doesn’t come up for sale very often. Comes in shoreline gold too which is a great colour.

Puresalem do a 24.75” HH tele but don’t know what their distribution is in the UK, if they even have any.
    You could always just get a normal Tele and a capo ;).

Tune it down to Eb and capo it at the first fret... instant 24” scale.

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1399
    edited August 2019
    Bill Frisell's Tele with the drawings on the body has a short scale neck (maybe all of his guitars do). Presumably it has had the bridge moved (presumably involving some routing of the body to accommodate the pickup) to enable it to intonate properly.

Found this blurb about it via Google: "Frisell’s Fender Telecaster is heavily modified: TK Smith and Seymour Duncan Little ’59 pickups; Gibson-scale length neck (done by JW Black); Mastery bridge; and custom art by Terry Turrell."