"Has it got all the paperwork?"

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I’m really sorry but I can’t engage with this thread until I’ve seen its COA. Mods?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    If the main reason for wanting case-shite is so that the next buyer will pay a fair price , and they only want it so the next guy... etc ... If we all had a sanity check it wouldnt matter 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Philly_Q said:
    Why get worked up about it?  If it comes with a certificate, hangtags or whatever it's not particularly onerous to hang on to them. 
    Pain in the arse. If you gig a guitar then it’s just more clutter in the guitar case, and carries the risk of getting lost or damaged. My Parker Fly came with Allen keys, Torq wrench, booklets and other stuff. Of all those I think the Torq is still in the case, but since I haven’t adjusted the truss rod in the last fifteen years I can’t be sure.

I can understand that other people might have a different view, but I buy guitars to use. I did once hear of someone who bought a Maserati. Kept it in a garage. Only opened the door to sit in and admire. Lined the garage walls with carpet so that the doors wouldn’t touch. My life isn’t like that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    TimmyO said:
    If the main reason for wanting case-shite is so that the next buyer will pay a fair price , and they only want it so the next guy... etc ... If we all had a sanity check it wouldnt matter 
    Don’t blame the buyers. It’s the manufacturers fault for putting that stuff in there in the first place  :)
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited August 2019
    I think there is a huge difference here between players guitars and collectors/ reissue guitars.

Someone buys a Custom shop Fender, Gibson or something like a private stock prs - you're buying a reissue or piece of art prs.

If it's something else who cares!

Oh and I've tried to sell an R8 for months, that noone wanted simply because it didn't have its coa! Ended up knocking off £200 below every other one for sale. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • With a PRS if you don't have the complete paperwork including the hangtag that hangs from one of the machineheads in store then the guitar is pretty much worthless to PRS buyers it seems.
    I swear that there is possibly a blackmarket opportunity for selling blank ones just so PRS owners can actually get a sale

I put an evertune and active pickups in mine, not sure the hang tag will help me if I ever sell 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    With a PRS if you don't have the complete paperwork including the hangtag that hangs from one of the machineheads in store then the guitar is pretty much worthless to PRS buyers it seems.
    I swear that there is possibly a blackmarket opportunity for selling blank ones just so PRS owners can actually get a sale

I put an evertune and active pickups in mine, not sure the hang tag will help me if I ever sell 
    I hope you kept the original PRS solder.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    I'm not sure there's any help for you...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @FelineGuitars There were blank PRS hangtags on Ebay a few weeks back.  Possibly still there (older style Eagle ones).  I know from selling that, without hangtags, you're losing a couple of hundred quid.  I've no sodding idea why.  At all.  But I know won't pay full price for one without, likely perpetuating the issue.

#JusticeForPRSwithoutHangTags
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1464
    edited August 2019
    It's a by-product of the rise of the collector. In the not-so-distant past nobody gave a shit if a guitar came with some daft wee certificate, they bought a guitar because they liked the guitar. Now too many folk have an eye fixed on resale value and all that bollocks. Just play the thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I like to have all the paperwork, especially if it comes with a DVD etc.

It's not the end of the world and I'm not a collector, but I want to have it, even if I don't intend to sell it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    It's bollocks.  I had an enquiry about a pedal last week that is cosmetically perfect.  When i said it didn't have the original box they didnt want it. FFS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    If they haven't got the bus/train/parking ticking to show they went to buy it they can F off!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The best one I've ever heard was about someone who bought a new PRS - not one of the basic models, one that comes with the fancier case with real leather ends. He had spent most of a day playing all the ones in the shop, and eventually decided that a particular one was 'the one'. Credit card out, paid for it, and the shop manager went to the back room to get the case. When he came back the buyer noticed a small tear in the leather on one end, so the shop manager said "no problem, I'll swap it for the case from one of the others". But this wasn't good enough for the customer... he said that then it *wouldn't be the original case for the guitar*, so he couldn't accept it - and proceeded to cancel the purchase and get a refund on his card.

This was related to me by the shop manager when I was buying a PRS from them in the 'scratch and dent' sale... they'd had the guitar a long time and couldn't find the 'paperwork', and they thought the case might not be the right one - although it was a PRS case - and that the paperwork might have been in it and accidentally sold with another guitar. I said I couldn't care less, and why would it matter? He then told me the story!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @icbm - so you got cash off for the missing paperwork and the scratched case?
    Goes back to the point if the thread - you couldn't care less but you got a discount because other people do. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    @icbm - so you got cash off for the missing paperwork and the scratched case?
    Goes back to the point if the thread - you couldn't care less but you got a discount because other people do. 
    No, I got £700 off a £2000 guitar for a ding in the front! Apparently no other buyers would look twice at it because of it... the lack of 'paperwork' and case had nothing to do with it, the shop didn't know until they went to get it after I'd already bought it.

The point of this thread is that a lot of guitar buyers are collectors and not players fools for who a missing piece of paper seems to be enough to put them off buying a guitar that they otherwise would.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    It seems just about everything you buy these days, from boutique pickups to cycling shoes, comes with a packet of Haribo in the box. So what happens if you eat them :o Will a future buyer insist on unopened Haribos? Gulp! Too late they're gone.

It's all too daft for words.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited August 2019
    Seems very similar to the nos versus relic discussion. Who would possibly touch a relic, they're disgusting lol.

You buy a reissue guitar and expect paperwork to highlight its a historic reissue. 

I'm playing devil's advocate.

It's silly that people expect the paperwork and put a premium on it. But everyone who buys a guitar says does it have the paperwork it came with. 

Similar to a car I guess. Does it have a service history and paperwork? No, OK it's worth less. 

And as for prs, I sold a private stock without the spec certificate. I think it made about a grand difference. On a positive it meant I could afford to own it..
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

The point of this thread is that a lot of guitar buyers are collectors and not players fools for who a missing piece of paper seems to be enough to put them off buying a guitar that they otherwise would.
    I think a lot of guitar buyers are looking to buy something they can flip at a better price fairly quickly, getting the seller to knock his price down helps this process.

If I am shopping for a guitar, if I find the one I want and the price is fine its a done deal.
  • So we expect money off for a ding but not if paperwork is missing? Even though its just going to get played? ;-)