"Has it got all the paperwork?"

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    ICBM said:
    The point of this thread is that a lot of guitar buyers are collectors and not players fools for who a missing piece of paper seems to be enough to put them off buying a guitar that they otherwise would.
    I think a lot of guitar buyers are looking to buy something they can flip at a better price fairly quickly, getting the seller to knock his price down helps this process.

If I am shopping for a guitar, if I find the one I want and the price is fine its a done deal.
    All well and good until the big crash comes.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And it's coming :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And it's coming :-) 
    The youngsters should start putting a bit of money away as it's going to be glorious  =)
  • Can't wait for all these 60 and 70 year old a with twenty and thirty guitars to drop off their perch ;-) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can't wait for all these 60 and 70 year old a with twenty and thirty guitars to drop off their perch ;-) 
    Just imagine a flooded market of used guitars, and the buyers are gone too. It's a perfect storm!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    On a USA PRS, the modcat code info is in the bridge p/up cavity - That will supply as much info, if not more than a tag, just in case any one is unsure that what there buying is not a PRS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I bought a PRS which has scratches on and didn't have the hang tag.  But I'm actually more interested in playing it. I've even added some more dings to it. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    I had a chat with Paul himself once regarding PRS and could we acquire tags for used gear that lost them - He was adamant about this when he said no - Pointing out that if  a tag made a used guitar worth more, easier to sell and more desirable than something was wrong about what he had built and designed

Additionally  a few years ago when I was in the PRS factory as a guest, I had a chance to 'nick' 20/50 blank tags - I could have easily scribbled any old markings as and when required - But I knew I would feel guilty about taking them from Paul, when I was there as a guest
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Amusingly, the fact Paul won't reissue the tags makes his guitars with tags more expensive!

I know people don't like it, and guitars should be valued as players but it's an unfortunate truth. 
    edited August 2019
    Amusingly, the fact Paul won't reissue the tags makes his guitars with tags more expensive!

I know people don't like it, and guitars should be valued as players but it's an unfortunate truth. 
    In the distant future, you won't be allowed on the Antiques Roadshow unless you have all the correct tags.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I love PRS guitars, owned loads and currently have four.
    Case candy etc doesn't bother me at all, I'm just interested in the guitar.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited August 2019
    In my limited experience, it's perfectly normal to want the original documents with a high end guitar. However people who start the the conversation with that banter should be approached with caution. They are the most likely to kick off if a guitar has had a switch tip replaced or they find a dent under the pickguard  s
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    i love it when people on forums  and Facebook ask for a serial number  check of an Asian  guitar of no  great intrinsic  value made a few months ago.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’d probably pay more for a guitar without all the other crap that goes along with it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited August 2019
    This sort of thing has never even crossed my mind when buying a guitar. I think I actually chucked out the inspection ticket when I got my Gibson. To me it’s nothing more than a receipt.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited August 2019
    All reasons mentioned are valid to the people asking the questions I guess. Some may want to know if the paperwork is there to avoid buying a stolen guitar maybe, paperwork to them might prove it’s not been liberated from its stand mid gig?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    If it is a special edition which came with a certificate of some sort, or previously owned by someone notable, etc., then it is a reasonable request.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Still got all the bits of paper etc that came with my guitars including the Gibsons I bought used.

Just a nice thing to have IMO, but then as a watch collector I'm used to all that box and papers type stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    It is obviously a case that the customer has the right to choose what they which to buy and what their expectations are, regarding condition, case, tags etc - I'm sure most owners do not intentionally throw away tags etc , but some are far more 'caring' regarding the 'care and upkeep' of such items - As such many guitars no longer have the appropriate paperwork - Yet in most circumstances, the guitar can be authenticated without such paperwork - As long as it is priced accordingly, with or without the 'case candy' then 'just get on with it' 

Granted I will always make a 'sales feature' of guitars that include the appropriate tags and case candy candy - But equally if the tags/paperwork is not there I will comment accordingly, so I'm not hiding anything 

On a side note, you occasionally see for sale an old Corgi Car from the 60's with the box - All condition etc - Like the James Bond Gold Finger Aston Martin - When I was a kid, you'd buy such a car - race it on the pavements and road with your mates - On the drive etc and crash into the rose bushes etc etc - So they all became dog eared over time - So who was the 'sad git' from your class at school who never took his out of the box and played with it, to keep it mint for years to come 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    On a side note, you occasionally see for sale an old Corgi Car from the 60's with the box - All condition etc - Like the James Bond Gold Finger Aston Martin - When I was a kid, you'd buy such a car - race it on the pavements and road with your mates - On the drive etc and crash into the rose bushes etc etc - So they all became dog eared over time - So who was the 'sad git' from your class at school who never took his out of the box and played with it, to keep it mint for years to come 
    I'm the sort of person who would keep all the boxes etc.  Or at least I am now.  But I didn't keep any of them and my Corgi cars, Hot Wheels etc were just as battered as anyone else's.  I don't know if I was less fussy in those days, or if my mum just quietly chucked the boxes out.