"Has it got all the paperwork?"

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    I’m going to remind you lot of this thread when I decide to chop out my Custom Shop Strat, sans both COA and original case :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    Anything of value i keep the box and papers.  

I just sold a bunch of camera gear, all with boxes, papers and even the plastic bags inside and the cable wire ties.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964

Additionally  a few years ago when I was in the PRS factory as a guest, I had a chance to 'nick' 20/50 blank tags - I could have easily scribbled any old markings as and when required - But I knew I would feel guilty about taking them from Paul, when I was there as a guest
    He'd have had you for that at the end like Willy Wonka.

"Oh, you came so close but you've failed....the test. I was going to give you this one off private stock, treated with John Mayer's own sputum for supreme playability...but now it's the band saw for you."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I have in a desk drawer quite a few hang tags from previous guitars that I had sold on, but could not find them at the time... Not having them didn't affect the sale. All this limited edition and custom xyz with all the paperwork reminds me of the collecting craze in the 90s for comics etc. which by the turn of the century turned out to be fairly worthless. At least we are not buying two of the same guitar and keeping one in its "bag" for future resale (I bet there are people out there who do this) ;) 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    DaevidJ said:
    I have in a desk drawer quite a few hang tags from previous guitars that I had sold on, but could not find them at the time... Not having them didn't affect the sale. All this limited edition and custom xyz with all the paperwork reminds me of the collecting craze in the 90s for comics etc. which by the turn of the century turned out to be fairly worthless. At least we are not buying two of the same guitar and keeping one in its "bag" for future resale (I bet there are people out there who do this)  
    I just sold the Baja for £100 and I got a further £400 for the hangtags  open_mouth 

Only kidding, I've grown attached to it. Lovely colour, great tone and lightweight too.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    It's bollocks.  I had an enquiry about a pedal last week that is cosmetically perfect.  When i said it didn't have the original box they didnt want it. FFS
    Price dependant obviously but I like to have to box for pedals personally.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    It's bollocks.  I had an enquiry about a pedal last week that is cosmetically perfect.  When i said it didn't have the original box they didnt want it. FFS
    Maybe they use box as a pedalboard? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    guitars4you  As long as it is priced accordingly, with or without the 'case candy' then 'just get on with it' 

This all seemed understandable (authenticity, care taken) until this - why ascribe a cash value to this tat? 

It's bizarre to me. But then I don't get collecting either 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Once had a guy agree to buy my full rosewood neck custom 24 for £1200 and id deliver it to him in person.
    The night before he called me and said he noticed a mark in one of the pictures, can I go check cos it could just be dust.
    I managed to find it, and it may as well have been dust. Smaller than the head of a pin, just in the lacquer and under where your arm would go. 

"I don't want it then"
    "oh, are you sure? I could barely even find the mark its that small"
    "No I don't want it. My other one is spotless so I know it would annoy me seeing them side by side".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    TimmyO said:

This all seemed understandable (authenticity, care taken) until this - why ascribe a cash value to this tat? 

It's bizarre to me. But then I don't get collecting either 
    It's the same as keeping replaced parts from an old guitar 'to retain the value' - why? If they needed to be replaced it's because they were knackered! Unless they have some unique dating information on them that isn't on the rest of the guitar... and then you only need one.

I always hear this as being some sort of desirable thing to do/have with an old guitar, but I've yet to see anyone actually pay a higher price just because this sort of rubbish is included.

It's even worse with amps - I sometimes get asked to keep leaking electrolytic caps or cooked resistors. What possible value can there be to keep them? I just bin them, where they belong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    JerkMoans said:
    I’m going to remind you lot of this thread when I decide to chop out my Custom Shop Strat, sans both COA and original case :D 
    Me too.........

Just bought a masterbuilt from VnR in bath sans COA & correct case. Even 'worse', finish taken off the back of the neck, as it was a long term gigging guitar and that's what the previous owner liked, and it has (shock horror) real playing wear rather than a factory relic job..........

To me the fact it was well loved, gigged and played well was most important. It will be used in a similar manner going forward.

Let's see come (inevitable) resale time how I do!

newi123 said:

Just bought a masterbuilt from VnR in bath sans COA & correct case. Even 'worse', finish taken off the back of the neck, as it was a long term gigging guitar and that's what the previous owner liked, and it has (shock horror) real playing wear rather than a factory relic job..........

To me the fact it was well loved, gigged and played well was most important. It will be used in a similar manner going forward.

Let's see come (inevitable) resale time how I do!
    Don't you know that real wear is always less desirable and valuable than fake wear?

:)

I *can* see that not having the correct case (as in correct type, not necessarily the one that was pulled from a rack of identical cases at the factory and supplied with that guitar...) makes a difference to the value. The other stuff, that has no practical or functional purpose, shouldn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• And I'll bet a few quid that the price at VnR was less than if it actually had the paperwork and the none original wear lol. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Once had a guy try to get £50 off a Korean Tele I was selling because I'd replaced the wiring with all USA parts. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Has it got the original strings?
    @roland, you think that's funny; however, the bass player I'm currently entangled with has a 16 year old Yahama bass with the original strings. 
    Roland said:
    @roland, you think that's funny; however, the bass player I'm currently entangled with has a 16 year old Yahama bass with the original strings. 
    I once had a 1972 Gibson Les Paul Triumph bass with what I'm pretty sure were the original strings.

But I'm not sure it beats your bassist, since I think it was in 1988 - I didn't have it long, and I know I traded it for a Martin 12-string in 1989. That seems like a long time ago...

• https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123877195439

For anyone who is missing their Gibson case candy :-) 

Not mine. 
    Nice cable. Must be worth about £20.

• Roland said:
    There was an interview in the late 80s in Bassist magazine with Chic legend Bernard Edwards, where he was asked what kind of strings he used.

"I don't know; what kind of strings do you get with a Musicman bass?!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Its also weird that its typically more common for guitars than amps even thought he crap you get with amps is usually more useful.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ