Bridge Plate Repair (Plugging?)

The bridge plate of my acoustic guitar has had a fair amount of tear out and it seems it'll either need some kind of repair at sometime soon, preferably being plugged. 

Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get such a repair in London and have a rough idea to how much it might cost? 

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    No first hand experience of this particular repair but I guess you'd be looking at £150-200. I suspect the trick will be finding someone who doesn't try and persuade you to have a replacement bridge plate.

The only person in London I've had acoustic bridge work done by is Charlie Chandler and he lived up to his rep.

Is the bridge slotted with solid pins? If not, I'd definitely get that done at the same time to save future wear to the bridge plate.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Lewy said:
    No first hand experience of this particular repair but I guess you'd be looking at £150-200. I suspect the trick will be finding someone who doesn't try and persuade you to have a replacement bridge plate.

The only person in London I've had acoustic bridge work done by is Charlie Chandler and he lived up to his rep.

Is the bridge slotted with solid pins? If not, I'd definitely get that done at the same time to save future wear to the bridge plate.
    Thanks for the info.  

That estimate seems about the one I was given for replacing the bridge plate, I expected a plug to come in a bit less. 

I'm thinking I might just order a Mitchel's Plate Mate which is supposed to change the sound of the guitar a little but it might be a reasonable compromise nonetheless. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Is it showing any symptoms? Any deformed top? If not then maybe it doesn’t need much or anything doing. Can we see it?
    Andy79 said:
    Is it showing any symptoms? Any deformed top? If not then maybe it doesn’t need much or anything doing. Can we see it?
    A little bit of bellying, saddle was taken down as low as possible on it's last set up - I can get a bit of paper underneath the bridge on the bass side.  These are issues I can live but the main aspect is the bridge pins don't always sit properly.

I had the slotted bridge pins replaced with unslotted ones and had the bridge slotted at the same time.  

I'm not sure I can take a picture of the bridge plate, I can try but when I last tried my phone wasn't able to do so. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    The bridge plate of my acoustic guitar has had a fair amount of tear out and it seems it'll either need some kind of repair at sometime soon, preferably being plugged. 

Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get such a repair in London and have a rough idea to how much it might cost? 

Thanks in advance.
    you mean like this:

Thanks in advance.
    you mean like this:

Yep.  

That's exactly what I am after.