New mobile phone

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I was told by my phone service provider that I am due a new mobile phone in September.  And as per my plan, a Samsung A50 or similar is what I will receive.  I am quite happy with my iPhone 7 so my wife will get the new mobile when it arrives.

I Googled Samsung A50 to see what it was about.  An online video review of the A50 talked about the colour of the case, the camera, the radio/music player and how the current model differed from the earlier model.  No mention whatsoever of how it performs as a phone or text messaging or WhatsApp or it's use on the internet.

Does anyone actually use their mobile as a phone or is it a status accessory?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    They all do those things perfectly, hence there is no need to mention them or compare any more. The differences are in the other stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You won't find discussion of those for the same reason that PC reviews don't cover the performance of web browsing. Its a solved problem.

Would expect a brief discussion of call quality, mind you. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yeah  I notice this same thing on recent Samsung TV ads.....camera , camera, camera....thats it....no mention of memory, Apps, nothing.....just camera....if you have a fairly current phone there's just no reason to change it really...Im on iPhone 8 and its fine for me...when it comes off contract I will go to Sim only.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Screen quality. Camera quality. Battery life.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    spark240 said:
    Yeah  I notice this same thing on recent Samsung TV ads.....camera , camera, camera....thats it....no mention of memory, Apps, nothing.....just camera....if you have a fairly current phone there's just no reason to change it really...Im on iPhone 8 and its fine for me...when it comes off contract I will go to Sim only.
    ^^ This.  Contract on my Samsung S7 Edge expires in November.  I'll go Sim only too.  The phone does everything I want and some more too.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy A50 (urgent purchase after killing my Nokia 6.1 after only a few months ownership!).

It works just like any other Android phone in terms of the basics. I don't think the A50 is as nicely setup as the 6.1 was, but that's more minor things, like blocking numbers involves an extra menu, and the A50 doesn't tell you any unknown caller info until after the call, whereas the 6.1 would mention the likely caller as soon as the phone rang.

Personally, if you're happy with the phone you've got, go sim only. I've been sim only for a few years, and now keep phones until I need/want to buy a new one. If you run the figures, you can usually buy a new phone cheaper than the cost of it on contract.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    And if you want a concise summary of specs/features - https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a50-9554.php
    Plus you can easily compare to other phones.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    They all do those things perfectly, hence there is no need to mention them or compare any more. The differences are in the other stuff.
    I would agree if you're comparing models at similar price points but comparing budget vs premium reveals a massive difference. 

The amount of ram and the size of the processor has a marked performance effect on smoothness of scrolling and video playback etc. I bought a low end Sony L1 as a temporary measure to replace a Sony XZ until it was upgrade time. The difference was like night and day.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    goldtop said:
    Screen quality. Camera quality. Battery life.
    Come on, if you’re going to write a haiku, you’re going to need a few more syllables than that.