Sound crackling as I work my PC harder...time for an upgrade?

10 year old PC, RME Babyface Pro and a decent processor with 8gb RAM running Reaper. 

When I open a browser alongside a session, I get an annoying crackle sound and sometimes even when a browser is closed. It winds me right up and wondering how I can get rid...I'm worried that the only solution is to pour money into a better spec'd machine, unfortunately. What advice have you?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I ended up upgrading my computer as I was getting nowhere. It was fine with reaper and cakewalk, but couldn’t handle ableton 10. 

I got got loads of good advice in this thread though, so it’s worth trying this first. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153691/any-it-computer-geniuses-wrt-latency#latest
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    10yrs Age + 8g ram + any decent DAW = new PC...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited August 2019
    Sounds like your CPU is being overloaded causing crackle and dropouts. Do you have many plugins running in your DAW? In particular CPU-heavy ones, e.g. Serum, U-he Repro?

What does your CPU-usage meter say?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    10 year old PC, RME Babyface Pro and a decent processor with 8gb RAM running Reaper. 

When I open a browser alongside a session, I get an annoying crackle sound and sometimes even when a browser is closed. It winds me right up and wondering how I can get rid...I'm worried that the only solution is to pour money into a better spec'd machine, unfortunately. What advice have you?
    1. What CPU and graphics option is it running? 

2. What soundcard are you running and do you have any sound options on the motherboard enabled? You may wish to check the sound options in your browser. If the browser is using one sound option and Reaper is using, say, a USB interface, that could cause problems. 

Crackles and browsers: when I bought my SPL Crimson, the drivers were still being developed. I noticed that I could mouse scroll down a Google Docs spreadsheet whilst something was playing in Reaper and crackles would occur. Happily the problem was solved in a later driver update but there was still this thought in my head:

-what the hell am I doing scrolling through a spreadsheet whilst playing back a Reaper session?!? :D

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I've solved issues like this in the past by re-installing drivers. Worth a try
  • Could be DPC Latency caused by network drivers. Try disabling all networking on the machine and see if it still happens.

Bye!

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Do you have a dedicated sound card? If not getting one might solve the problem.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Check out this free guide for optimising your Windows installation for audio recording..
    https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I got bad crackle when tracking and worked out it only happened when i tracked onto my SSD but didnt happen on my spinning rust disk...go figure.....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Latency. Increase it in your interface's software (or however you increase the ASIO buffer size on your system) and it'll go away.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Increase your buffer size, add more RAM.
    If that doesn't work try a BFR (backup, format the drive, reinstall all apps/data).

If it is still lagging then buy a new PC.
  • Thank you all, for your help, really appreciate it. I've experienced less of the crackling over the last few days. Think things may be ok for now! I'm determined not to spend money on PC parts in preference for more guitar stuff! lol
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922