Does anyone ever pay attention to DVD 'extras'?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I remember when DVDs came in and started taking over from Videos. At the time I thought it was amazing that you got lots of extras - deleted scenes, 'making of' films, photo galleries, interviews, commentaries etc.

Well, in all these years I haven't indulged in ANY of that stuff!

My wife wanted to look at deleted scenes once, I think it was for Bridget Jones Diary. I saw one and thought what a waste of time, if it's not good enough to be in the film why bother with it.

I saw the first few minutes of a 'making of' documentary once, and it felt like it was spoiling the (sci-fi) movie by deconstructing it, so I never went there again

Commentaries, I put the School of Rock one on once, but about 5 minutes in I thought I really can't watch a whole movie with people talking over it! So that was it for commentaries.

so ....... any of you like this stuff? And anyone got a recommendation for a great film commentary?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The commentary on Dog Soldiers is brilliantly hilarious. Best one I've sat through.

I love all the extras and commentaries on the Alien(s) box set I have. All the set/art design stuff.

Likewise the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy gave a great insight into such a massive project.

There's also a funny commentary for This is Spinal Tap with the cast still in character.

Just a few that spring to mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't even remember the last time I watched a DVD at all! Since getting fibre broadband a few years ago I've just used streaming services and the occasional movie download for all film and TV viewing purposes!

When I did watch DVD I don't think I ever watched any 'Extras'. Most of the time when I have watched the 'Director's Cut' versions of films, I've usually found them over-long and flabby and ended up preferring the cinematic release anyway. Notable exceptions being Apocalypse Now and especially Blade Runner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    DVDs? that's so passé. How cute

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I'm struggling to remember the last time I bought a DVD.* We had all of The Mentalist seasons on DVD and the extras on that were quite interesting as they were about the real mentalist ( who was a British chap) and his various mind games.

The 2004 version of The Ladykillers had all the instruments made by Danny Ferrington who is a well known luthier and there is an extra on the DVD about him and the instruments although I haven't watched it for over ten years so I don't remember it in detail.

I know that quite often the versions of concerts shown on BBC$ or Sky Arts are shorter than the full versions on DVD ( David Bowie at Glastonbury for example) so I might buy a DVD for that. 

*Ooh, The Road to Perdition from a charity shop last year whilst on holiday. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Well I haven't owned a DVD player for about 10 yrs...but no...I never watched the extra bits. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited August 2019
    I have The Godfather BluRay box set and the extras on that are good.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've watched maybe a couple... out of literally hundreds of DVDs I've had.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I quite like the outtakes where they're all giggling like schoolgirls and generally cocking things up.
    Most of the other stuff, they all say the same thing. 
    A lot of it takes itself far too seriously.
    I'd still rather have DVDs/Blurays than streaming.
  • Yes, for movies I really like then the documentaries and commentaries on DVD, Blu-ray or even digital releases are a great interest to me.

The appendices on the extended Lord of the Rings movies are as entertaining as the movies themselves.

And I particularly enjoy Ridley Scott's commentaries on his movies. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    I liked the director's commentary bits - shame you don't seem to get that sort of thing on Netflix?
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Not what you're asking for but Jodorowsky's Dune is essentially a behind-the-scenes documentary of a film that never got made. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    fob said:
    Not what you're asking for but Jodorowsky's Dune is essentially a behind-the-scenes documentary of a film that never got made. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Never heard of that, so I looked it up. It's won 10 awards! Also the reception according to Wiki reads very well:

The film has received critical acclaim. Variety called it a "mind-blowing cult movie" and said that director Pavich "happens upon a compelling theory: that even in its still-born form, the film manifested the sort of collective [consciousness] that Jodorowsky was trying to peddle through its plot, trickling down to influence other sci-fi films that followed".[11] The Hollywood Reporter declared the "entertaining documentary makes the case for this overblown epic as a legendary lost masterpiece".[12] Entertainment Weekly named Jodorowsky's Dune as one of its 10 Best Movies of 2014.[5]

Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gave Jodorowsky's Dune a 98% "Certified Fresh" rating based on reviews from 108 critics. The site's consensus states: "Part thoughtful tribute, part bittersweet reminder of a missed opportunity, Jodorowsky's Dune offers a fascinating look at a lost sci-fi legend."

I'm intrigued to see it now!

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    axisus said:
    fob said:

I'm intrigued to see it now!

Me too!

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
    Hmmm Sometimes but never as good as the office
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    deleted scenes can be wank, usually deleted for a reason, but giggly outtakes are always good (for a giggle) see Jason Flemyng's "I'm Dr Tyborg" from Crank

the character commentary for anchorman is utterly hilarious, surreal and class

also notable shout for "a weekend with chopper" from Chopper -bizarre insight into the persona of the actual mark chopper reid (complete with his diy sawn off ears)

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Worth mentioning the Spinal Tap extras.

They do the commentary in character and get increasingly cross with how DiBergi portrays the band. It's wonderful.

There's nearly an hour of cut footage that's often as good as the stuff that made it into the main movie. It's like having an extra Spinal Tap film. Much of it was cut due to drug and sex references that would have got the film a higher rating. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I watch most extras but don't usually bother with commentaries.

The best extras are on older films - they're not afraid to look back and be critical of what worked and what didn't.  On most new films the extras all just say how marvellous everything is.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Philly_Q said:
    I watch most extras but don't usually bother with commentaries.

The best extras are on older films - they're not afraid to look back and be critical of what worked and what didn't.  On most new films the extras all just say how marvellous everything is.
    I think there's a special book of rules that people who make the extras must adhere to under pain of death.
    They're all basically people patting themselves on the back and saying how wonderful everyone on set was and how brilliantly their vision has succeeded.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Nope - the "special edition ones with the extra disk are a waste of packaging.

When I buy a DVD (usually 50p at a car boot sale!) I tend to rip it to a network drive, so I can not watch it from there too!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I've usually watched whatever deleted scenes or blooper reels are included (and generally agree with @tony99 that they're deleted for good reason).
    I've only occasionally bothered with commentaries and "making of" stuff- I really enjoyed the commentary on "Almost Famous" by Cameron Crowe and his mum (and odd but appropriate pairing for reasons that will be clear to anyone who’s seen the film.)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.