ES-335 necks

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
Anyone familiar with which models have slightly wider (more Les Paul like) fretboards/nut widths?

I sold a 2018 figured on here as the 1.687 nut felt cramped compared to my LP. String spacing at the nut was tighter than my tele with a nut just under 42mm. 

Such cool guitars but need to find a more playable version.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    The 1964 ES 345 RI have a slightly wider deeper neck.

As do the 58 and 59 Ri 335
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 397
    I also came across this problem and eventually found my 63 Block Inlay reissue is just perfect for me. 43mm nut width, a gorgeous neck and a superb guitar all around. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    susbemol said:
    I also came across this problem and eventually found my 63 Block Inlay reissue is just perfect for me. 43mm nut width, a gorgeous neck and a superb guitar all around. 
    I agree - also if it’s like mine it’s quite thin around the cowboy chords but fattens up nicely as you head down to the 12th. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • another vote for 63 profile, very comfortable and spacious
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    So custom shop only then...and no current reissues in production from what I can see. Should have bagged a 63 RI when they were on sale earlier this year.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Try a 'Fat Neck' 335 if you can find one. A very R8 style carve on those if that's your thing. No idea if Gibson are still making them but I had a few around the 2008-2012 years. Although I generally prefer fatter necked guitars, for some reason I think an ES works better for me at least on slightly thinner carve necks. 

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Not sure 1mm extra spread across 6 strings is going to be THAT significant :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Not sure 1mm extra spread across 6 strings is going to be THAT significant :/
    Maybe its not be across the whole string spread? If the string spacing is the same, it would give more room either side of the Es like the HP Gibsons did. The HP felt wider but was only 1.27mm wider than trad.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Wildwood list neck measurements for each 335 they have in stock, good way of sizing up the current models:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/gibson-custom-memphis/es-335-series/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    roberty said:
    Wildwood list neck measurements for each 335 they have in stock, good way of sizing up the current models:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/gibson-custom-memphis/es-335-series/
    It’s width and string spacing I notice rather than thickness actually. I go between a thin Jem and an R8 quite easily (and a strat/ tele in between those).