SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn: Fender Contemporary Series III Stratocaster MIJ 1980s

jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
edited August 2019 in Guitars £
Fender Contemporary Series III Stratocaster MIJ 1980s, gloss black, E-series neck, rosewood board, original parts, box, paperwork   2 sc and bridge humbucker with split-coil mini-switch.

Bought new by me in 1987. Original box (a bit faded), warranty card, instruction manual, receipt from P Cook's Guitar World, etc.

Original Series III trem arm with hex/allen key each end. This adjusts the spring tension or the bridge saddle heights.
Locking nut - original with some spares including the first cam arm and broken shaft (which I broke).  Managed to get a new one at the time. But there is ALSO a replacement 'normal' nut (see pic) which uses the same screw holes - so interchangeable.  I had this made by the (very good) repair guy at Andertons back then and it was how I've always used the guitar.

The 5-way switch has been replaced but the original is included, might be repairable.
One ding on headstock, one on body by bridge. 

The E-series neck is flatter than most Strats and I've always loved this guitar because of it. Very classy, a joy to play, wide string spacing and it has neck-tilt too which is of use on this guitar.  There is fretwear (pic) but it still plays very well.

Trem unit; swivelling the arm a quarter turn downwards makes the bridge fixed. Excellent idea, another reason I've kept it so long - I always used it that way. The fine tuners work very well and are useful, but low E bridge saddle hex screw stripped so I filed a slot in it. There is also one tiny retaining circlip missing from the underside of the bridge assembly.

Tone pot is a Fender TBX which I've always hated but never changed. The bridge humbucker is splittable and the same as other high-end MIJ Fenders of the period including the Esprit/Robben Ford.

Schaller were involved in the design of this guitar somewhere. It is historically interesting as it is the top of the line model from the year when there was no Fender USA production - AFAIK.

I have to warn any prospective purchaser that the trem and locking nut don't really keep the guitar in tune with dive bombs or hard trem use, the bridge design makes it a complete PITA to restring, and there are NO spares available if you break it. 

Incidentally there is another black one of these up on ebay at the moment for over £1100!

£485 + postage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited August 2019
    If I were a little more flush, I’d be all over this. Sadly, the cupboard is a wee bit bare as I’m in the market for a couple of quite specific things.

Re. System 3 vibratos - yup, I agree - total PITA!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2019
    Bank Hol bump and price drop.

Now withdrawn.