Tears For Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love 30 years old! PLAY THIS LOUD

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited August 2019 in Music
I loved this this when it came out, I wasn't a huge TFF fan, I loved Mad World and had The Hurting album, but quickly lost interest after as I was more into The Jam. Then out of nowhere in 1989, I had all but forgotten about Tears For fears,  this came out and is brilliant. The arrangement, mix, instruments are all terrific. Curt does his best Paul McCartney impression and the bass lines are a lovely walking melodic pastiche.

I got the album and it's also superb, one of my all time favourites.

Here's a nice exclusive interview on the recording of Sowing the Seeds of Love:

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/sde-exclusive-tears-for-fears-on-the-making-of-sowing-the-seeds-of-love/

Turn it up and play it loud on this sunny summer Bank Holiday weekend!

"Anything is possible sowing the seeds of love" How true.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited August 2019
    The song arrangement is like a journey, it's relentless, turning every corner into a new section seamlessly and that huge anthemic chorus.

The video is the edited version, listen to the full 6m 19s album version for the full ride. 

Wow!

Note the not so subtle message to Paul Weller "Kick out the style bring back The Jam"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still remember the shiver I got hearing it for the first time on the car radio. Wonderful tune, beautifully recorded. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    A terrific album and one of my all time favourites too.

Badman's Song is just feckin incredible, the arrangements, vocals and that killer slide guitar is just breathtaking.
    An absolute masterpiece no less:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Indeed, an 8m 33s epic! Oleta Adams is stunning on it too.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    equalsql said:
    A terrific album and one of my all time favourites too.

Badman's Song is just feckin incredible, the arrangements, vocals and that killer slide guitar is just breathtaking.
    An absolute masterpiece no less:

Completely agree. I can’t add to what you’ve said, but I absolutely love that song.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I have the 12”: wow! I hoped the lp lived up to the single but the other tracks don’t really reach the beatlesque heights of Seeds. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Interesting factoid: Roland Orzabal's uncle Jerry used to work for my dad. He was surprisingly short and quite aggressive!

I really liked the Elemental album, some beautiful, crafted songs on that album. 

I always considered them a local band because Roland was from Leigh Park, a huge council estate near Portsmouth. Understandably they chose to be considered as coming from Bath where they met at university. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2019
    Very good live in the early years..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited August 2019
    I loved this this when it came out, I wasn't a huge TFF fan, I loved Mad World and had The Hurting album, but quickly lost interest after as I was more into The Jam. Then out of nowhere in 1989, I had all but forgotten about Tears For fears,  this came out and is brilliant. The arrangement, mix, instruments are all terrific. Curt does his best Paul McCartney impression and the bass lines are a lovely walking melodic pastiche.

Good post. Oddly enough it might be one of the first songs I remember listening to and liking, I think I would have been 6 or 7 when it came out.  The other song of that year which I remember hearing and liking is The Cure 'Lullaby', the video really fascinated me then and now. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845
    Brilliant band, one of the best of the 80's and this song is a masterpiece.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I only recently got a double ‘best of.’ Blown away by them. Some fantastic guitar playing from Orzabel. I really must get the albums. I think they did one fairly recently, as well? 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Songs from the Big Chair was the first album I really got into of my own accord (I was 12 and it was 1985). I very much love Head Over Heels as well as the other singles. When Sowing the Seeds came out I'd already started my journey of snobbery through The Beatles and Hendrix erc. so I didn't give it a fair hearing. I've since very much enjoyed it but feel I missed out at the time.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Great album, band totally at the top of their game, loads of Beatles influence all over it. Oletta Adams and the fantastic Manu katche. Whats not to like
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    They weren't my sort of band at all, but their records sounded incredible. As well as superb songs, the production and engineering just sounded so good to me. 
  • I think I was well and truly blinkered as to what I listened to in those days. There are plenty of musicians forgotten about from those days - like yer maun from Aztec Camera.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Raoul and the kings of spain was a great track as well. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Saw them live on that tour. Fantastic band at the top of their game. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Absolute banger. Such ambitious production and they properly pulled it off too
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bought the album and used to like it ... find the reverby production too much. I wish they'd remix it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Great record. Ridiculously ambitious - and they pulled it off too. “Woman In Chains” might be my favourite TFF tune...