Guitar/amp set up for this song

What's Hot
I love the guitar tone in this song, I think its a Strat single coil-ey type sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bihoNRc8GDQ

Thing is I can't full figure out if its played on a clean or a dirty sound with a lot of gain backed off. Or there's some sort of overdrive pedal to break up the amp.

Have tried a Strat and a Tele and I think the Strat matches it best but I'm in the middle of two pickup sections, neck/middle and bridge but coil tapped. Its got that grit you get from a bridge single coil pickup but then there's that bluesy/neck type sound.

I'm using a tube amp (Marshall DSL5 combo).

Any pointers gents?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Sounds more like a Les Paul or 335 on the middle setting with the bridge turned down a tad but I cant quite put my hands on it .
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Similar to my comment in another thread, it can be very hard to match a tone from a record because it's not necessarily just a raw recording of a guitar amp.

The guitar could have been as clean as it can get but the engineer decided to turn the mic preamp up to get some distortion from that.

Especially now with plugins available that emulate the various different ways sound gets distorted from all the best gear, it's very common for a mixer to add distortion to signals in a way that isn't possible to do with guitar gear (e.g. a plugin could be emulating the distortion from a specific vintage tape machine's preamp then separately also emulating the distortion from the tape itself.

Then it will often also be EQ'd and compressed etc.

Totally get the urge to find out what gear was used when there's great tone on a record - I still do it all the time but often there's more to it than just the guitar and amp even when you do find out those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I get that, I've also been watching live performances and he's been using Strats, Tele's and some form of humbucker equipped guitar. So could have been anything, I have noticed he's got a Fender amp in the back unless its for show.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956

Thing is I can't full figure out if its played on a clean or a dirty sound with a lot of gain backed off. Or there's some sort of overdrive pedal to break up the amp.

Have tried a Strat and a Tele and I think the Strat matches it best but I'm in the middle of two pickup sections, neck/middle and bridge but coil tapped. Its got that grit you get from a bridge single coil pickup but then there's that bluesy/neck type sound.
    On a studio recording it could easily be both, double-tracked - which is what it sounds like to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    This was a Strat, bridge pickup (or bridge and middle) and a Mesa. Maybe even a rectifier from memory. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    It's a killer, killer tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited August 2019
    When I saw Reef play earlier in the year the guitarist played this with either a double HB or double P90 guitar with it set to the neck pickup. He's a different guitar player to the record though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited August 2019
    I used my Strat with the bridge pickup split (there's a Seymour Duncan JB in there) and dialled the gain back to about 9 o'clock on the red channel of the DSL5c. Sounds very nice actually, yet to try to my Tele with the same settings but doesn't sound far off with the sound from the Strat!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

I use neck pickup on Strat, Soulfood into HRD and can get pretty close. Took a bit of listening to get the mutes right though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I tried neck but it didn't have that cut through and twang.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3756
    edited August 2019
    Looks like a Tele on the bridge, into Marshall head with a variety of different cabs on this vid...

Song brings back many memories! Loved Reed back in the day.

Edit: oops, right video this time! 
  • markdtymarkdty Frets: 3

Place Your Hands, from second album Glow, was adopted by TV show TFI Friday as the theme to the It’s Your Letters segment.

Trademark gear Fender Stratocaster and Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Voodoo Vibe, ProCo RAT, Matchless Chieftain, Marshall JTM 45, Fender Tremolux

• We play this in the wedding band and I get close enough with either a strat or tele on the neck pickup with drive from a tube screamer and a bit of boost from a Klone.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited August 2019
    Assuming you are dropping the E to D and playing the song in D?

try tuning the whole guitar down a step and playing in what would be E...

thatll get you closer!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    The transcription notes from Guitar Techniques say he uses Teles, Strats and LPs into Matchless or Marshall. In Jamie Humphries' opinion it was a Tele straight into a Marshall. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    At the time he used to play this on the neck pickup of a Tele or Strat IIRC. Couldn't tell you the amp though but sounds like a nice transparent overdrive sound. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • poopot said:
    Assuming you are dropping the E to D and playing the song in D?

try tuning the whole guitar down a step and playing in what would be E...

thatll get you closer!
    Yes in drop d, not thought of having it in D standard though.
  • The transcription notes from Guitar Techniques say he uses Teles, Strats and LPs into Matchless or Marshall. In Jamie Humphries' opinion it was a Tele straight into a Marshall. 
    There's a hint of Keith Richards about it, and Jamie used to teach me so I think I may have to give the Tele a run through!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    The transcription notes from Guitar Techniques say he uses Teles, Strats and LPs into Matchless or Marshall. In Jamie Humphries' opinion it was a Tele straight into a Marshall. 
    There's a hint of Keith Richards about it, and Jamie used to teach me so I think I may have to give the Tele a run through!
    Ah, cool. He's very good. You're welcome to a pdf of the transcription but I somewhat doubt you'll need it. 
  • The transcription notes from Guitar Techniques say he uses Teles, Strats and LPs into Matchless or Marshall. In Jamie Humphries' opinion it was a Tele straight into a Marshall. 
    Ah, cool. He's very good. You're welcome to a pdf of the transcription but I somewhat doubt you'll need it. 
    Yes he is. I think I got most of the parts but thank you for the offer! Great song to play! Love the little solo after the 2 bars of keys too.