A beginners guide...

What's Hot
Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
ok so I’ve used an acoustic for 20 years. Never even held an electric. Recently had the bug to get something going. I’ve nearly completed my partscaster project but need something to plug it into. 

Ideally I’m after lightnin Hopkins sound from the early 50s.
Like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OaPsSHlsiU

Im a one trick pony player so I don’t need lots of varied sounds.
Now I do get it, he was probably using some holy grail fender amp that I’ll never own or need to own. 
BUT. Given a modest budget what could I look for on the used market to get close? 
For home use only so keep the wattage down. 
Thanks in advance for any and all advice 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    Bugera Vintage 5.

Probably the cheapest valve amp with reverb you can get, 5W, with master volume. (5W is too loud to crank a non-master amp up in the house.)

There's one on Ebay just now with a knob missing, but that's easily fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Thanks man. Who knows how you have accumulated the knowledge you have....
    Andy79 said:
    Thanks man. Who knows how you have accumulated the knowledge you have....
    33 years of being an obsessive geek working in guitar shops, mostly :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    Rather more expensive, but the Roland Blues Cube Hot would probably give you what you're looking for.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    30w I fear will be too much for my situation 
    Andy79 said:
    Power is irrelevant actually - all that matters is whether it has a good master volume. A 100W amp wouldn't be too much if it has a good one - at least if you can physically make space for it. Although the sound you want is more of a small-amp sound.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1620
    edited August 2019
    "Bugera Vintage 5." Naughty ICBM, naughty.

Ooops! Sorry I thought that was the HT-5 rip. Still, you can bet that is stolen from SOME poor sod?

Dave.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited August 2019
    If your budget is low may I suggest a Peavey Blazer? 15 watts, reverb, 8" speaker and go for £30-40 on ebay.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    There is a shed load of reverb on Lightning's electric sound so unless you also want to get into pedals get an amp with built in reverb. The examples given so far all have that. 
    I'd guess that Hopkins himself used whatever was available which would have been small valve amps. Very much the amp as a make louder device rather than for some specific tone, I'd suggest. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited August 2019
    ecc83 said:
    "Bugera Vintage 5." Naughty ICBM, naughty.

Ooops! Sorry I thought that was the HT-5 rip. Still, you can bet that is stolen from SOME poor sod? 
    Probably, but it's such a generic feature set - apart from the reverb - that it could be almost anyone...

It's the reverb that's unusual in that style of amp, and what makes it good for what the OP wants.

I'd have liked to recommend the HT-1R, but it doesn't have that sort of sound unfortunately - far too smooth and modern, even if you crank up the clean channel instead of the overdrive one.

Thanks guys. Budget really isn’t the thing. Small size is more important. Plus I don’t want to spend £600 as it just won’t get the use. I don’t gig and still spend most time acoustic-ing. The Bugera does seem a great option. 
    I do like ICBMs comment about not being limited to 3-5W as long as there is master volume. And after all I won’t be spending much time on harder volumes, I prefer cleaner tones for what I do. 
    Would I really be better off spending an extra 300 on a Blues junior or whatever? Maybe not until I find my amp feet
    I wouldn’t spend £300 on a Blues Junior, let alone an *extra* £300.

You can pick them up second hand for about £250, which is about what they’re worth. (In my opinion.) Although they do at least sound better at low volume than high... 

Just to be clear, not all amps with master volumes are suitable - some MV circuits work much better than others - some go from off to too loud with a tiny turn of the control, and others sound poor at low settings. But if it’s a good one, it doesn’t matter if the amp is 1W or 100W.

Bear in mind that even a 1W amp will probably be too loud to crank up fully in a house with family members or thin walls.

• Andy79 said:
    The blues cubes have built in attenuation, there's a half watt setting
    I bought the eBay V5. Cost £87 to my door. Thanks ICBM, it’s right up my alley, sounds great. This is a demonstration of the benefits of this forum. Thanks for everyone’s input. In 3 months I’ll need talking down from blowing 1500 on a 50s tweed. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom