If you think you had a bad day at work...

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72321

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Did you hear the one about the engineer who retracted the undercarriage on an F15 whilst it was sitting on the tarmac?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Must of made a loud bang !

I've worked in maintenance hangars for 747, 777, A330 and there are some phenomenal hydraulics used for jacking them up. Some mishap then.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Roland said:
    Did you hear the one about the engineer who retracted the undercarriage on an F15 whilst it was sitting on the tarmac?
    Even better is the RAF engineering officer who accidentally took off in an English Electric Lightning! Luckily, he did actually know how to fly - although not jets - and somehow managed to work out enough to land it safely some time later...

http://www.neillwatson.com/historic-motorsport/accidental-fighter-pilot/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Oh man, someone's getting deported... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I was the engineering member on a board of inquiry into a C130 falling off its jacks during maintenance. I still have the jacking pad that was damaged as it slipped and use it as a doorstop.
    Red ones are better. 
    Roland said:
    It needs a lot of mistakes for that to even be possible - not least faulty wiring in the weight-on-wheels sensor circuit  (which will have multiple independent inspections during the procedure)
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dano said:
    Must of made a loud bang !

I've worked in maintenance hangars for 747, 777, A330 and there are some phenomenal hydraulics used for jacking them up. Some mishap then.

The jacks themselves almost never fail, and if they're operated correctly (turning the locking collar as you go) even a loss of pressure should only result in a drop of less than a cm which shouldn't cause a slip. 

*Every* jacking accident I've known has been the result of errors in managing/instructing  the jack operators resulting in one jack going up either too much or too little compared to the rest. The result being a big bang and brown trousers all round. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    edited August 2019
    TimmyO said:
    I was the engineering member on a board of inquiry into a C130 falling off its jacks during maintenance. I still have the jacking pad that was damaged as it slipped and use it as a doorstop.
    Lyneham @TimmyO ?

C130J has big problems at the moment with the centre wing spar cracking. Wing off a possibility.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've sat in that particular Lightning, as it is preserved at Duxford. It's surprisingly claustrophobic in the cockpit and there's very little forward vision with the gunsight filling the windscreen. 

I was reading that Buccaneer pilots would select gear up when rolling and the WOW would retract the gear whilst the aircraft seeming appeared to still be on the ground. A very impressive sight, although I understand that one pilot at Honington had a bit of an embarrassing moment, as there's a pronounced hump on the runway.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302

Oops !

Engineers ran an engine test with the hydraulics off and no chocks...  Brand new A340-600 written off...  roughly $275M

...at £20 a week each from their wages....  that's er...
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302

Similar scenario.....
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • A tangentially related incident in my field of endeavour:

In 2003 Lockheed dropped the NOAA-N spacecraft off its holder during testing, due to it not being bolted down. These things happen.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    A tangentially related incident in my field of endeavour:

In 2003 Lockheed dropped the NOAA-N spacecraft off its holder during testing, due to it not being bolted down. These things happen.

...and if the same supervisor has oversigned any of the assembly tasks, they probably had to take it apart and start again anyway 
    Red ones are better. 

Deadman said:
    TimmyO said:
    Lyneham @TimmyO ?

C130J has big problems at the moment with the centre wing spar cracking. Wing off a possibility.
    Yep, JengO A-Line, then came back in AES and Eng Ops 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I tipped a Honda Vision moped upside down off a workbench once, trying to undo the front wheel axle nut - it was pretty bashed up anyway and still worked so we didn't mention it to the owner.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Paul_C said:

I tipped a Honda Vision moped upside down off a workbench once, trying to undo the front wheel axle nut - it was pretty bashed up anyway and still worked so we didn't mention it to the owner.
    About 25 years ago I dropped a customer's '78 Les Paul Custom from about waist height onto a lino-covered concrete floor. It landed flat on its back headstock first, and I actually saw the neck flex like a bow, as if in slow motion - I was certain it was going to snap the head off, and that I would be buying the owner a new one...

Thankfully, Norlin had the foresight to make the neck from maple, so the guitar was completely undamaged. I've loved Norlin maple-neck Les Pauls ever since - and I have never again picked up a guitar case without checking that the latches are closed.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Now that is something to give a flying f*ck about!
  • Emp_Fab said:

Oops !

Engineers ran an engine test with the hydraulics off and no chocks...  Brand new A340-600 written off...  roughly $275M

sponsored by gibson guitars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Emp_Fab said:

Oops !

sponsored by gibson guitars
    Bit of T-Cut and it'll polish out ok.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What an interesting thread. Wondering if anyone on here knew my uncle Barry “chas” Charley he was a chief tech at lyneham and I think he might have done some volunteer work at duxford . He sadly passed away in 2001  I still own and regularly play his epiphone les Paul standard. He was also at wittering , Singapore and Belize  and worked a lot on harrier’s and later Canberra