New Masterwound PAF replica pickup ... The 'Last Word'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I want to hear both on a pick up demo - what do they sound like clean and also into an overdriven amp.

However I don't want to hear that massacre above of Peter Greens playing. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I think clean tones going into light overdrive show good pafs off the most, after that could be anything

I'm lucky enough to have compared to a real burst, you only get a tiny flavour on you tube etc, the player really helps too

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    I fully believe that demos should first and foremost be done into a clean reference amp. If you then choose to put some tasteful drive on as a bonus ... so be it ... but only after a good clear demo clean with full chord and lead work. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I genuinely think pickup demos are a giant waste of time and wont really give you an idea of what a pickup will be like in your guitar with your amp and pedals.
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    I genuinely think pickup demos are a giant waste of time and wont really give you an idea of what a pickup will be like in your guitar with your amp and pedals.
    I agree with you up to a point ... but without demos what are you left with?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Adam_MD said:
    I agree with you up to a point ... but without demos what are you left with?
    The rabbit hole of trying things for yourself until you learn what works for you.  Then after you've spent a load of money finally realising experts like you and Marc were right at the beginning of the journey and that I just should have ordered the set you recommended at the start. 

tFB Trader
    We are now in a position ... with premises that can host people coming and trying stuff ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    We are now in a position ... with premises that can host people coming and trying stuff ...
    Now that is a great idea, hope the new place is going well 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Now that is a great idea, hope the new place is going well 
    Yep it is, and I should have a new, part time assistant starting next month so a little of the pressure will be off. Long hours and worry about the pound, Brexit etc have caused me to have various health issues that I'm only now really getting out of the other side of.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    I fully believe that demos should first and foremost be done into a clean reference amp. If you then choose to put some tasteful drive on as a bonus ... so be it ... but only after a good clear demo clean with full chord and lead work. 

I concur.

Logically the higher the level of distortion, the more of the sound is being generated by the amp and less by the guitar / pickups.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Look after yourself Ash. There's is nothing more important than your health.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Ah the illustrious paf, I have a feeling the oil city one's will sound so much better than any original, mainly due to the fact these are made with care and quality materials very much unlike the original pafs! I have an early oil city maaterwound transonic in pink, split its like a p 90 and  unsplit like a top quality humbucker so again probably better than an original paf :D
    tFB Trader
    Ah the illustrious paf, I have a feeling the oil city one's will sound so much better than any original, mainly due to the fact these are made with care and quality materials very much unlike the original pafs! I have an early oil city maaterwound transonic in pink, split its like a p 90 and  unsplit like a top quality humbucker so again probably better than an original paf :D
    Bows deeply :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom