PSA: Lari Basilio clinic at Guitar Guitar Birmingham

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
edited September 2019 in Guitar
https://youtu.be/PhO2v7NUgO4

Free, Monday 23/9/19, tickets via GG Facebook and link, presumably link is also on website/ other social media. 
Seen it advertised on Laney Facebook as well saying tickets still available.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    If it was a month later, I would have joined you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Giving this a bump ( whilst editing out the slightly sad bit) as tickets still seem to be available and it’s free unlike seeing her at the London guitar show. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Oof that was great.

Can't say I've heard of her but she must be a reasonably big shot to have Nathan East as her bassist.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Pleasant but unmemorable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Oddly enough what I'm hoping will be my epitaph. 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    She's one of my favourite players - check out this solo she did for a Youtube collaboration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKSmSziOPNk

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    I always want to not like her for some reason but she's genuinely really bloody good and has a great sense of melody and she walked away from passing the bar and becoming a lawyer to chase her guitar dreams. So fair fucks to her. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    I always want to not like her for some reason but she's genuinely really bloody good and has a great sense of melody and she walked away from passing the bar and becoming a lawyer to chase her guitar dreams. So fair fucks to her. 
    How come you want to not like her?

She quotes bible verses in one of her videos, that would have been enough for me if I wanted to dislike her lol.
    Sassafras said:
    Actually a very good comment.

The few instrumental guitarists who are well known have amazing melodies that are very memorable whereas the pieces of hers I listened to don't despite sounding great at the time.
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

She quotes bible verses in one of her videos, that would have been enough for me if I wanted to dislike her lol.
    I think it's the purple lipstick and the market positioning/endorsements as token hot chick guitar youtuber but really that is very disingenuous of me because she can play like a mofo. Didn't know re the bible verses though. That would have added some spice. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    thegummy said:
    Sassafras said:

The few instrumental guitarists who are well known have amazing melodies that are very memorable whereas the pieces of hers I listened to don't despite sounding great at the time.
    I'd add Josh Smith to that list. Amazing guitar player who has to be considered somewhere in the realm of a virtuoso and I can't recall a single song of his nor lick of his. 

soma1975 said:
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

I think it's the purple lipstick and the market positioning/endorsements as token hot chick guitar youtuber but really that is very disingenuous of me because she can play like a mofo. Didn't know re the bible verses though. That would have added some spice. 
    You saying you don't match your lipstick to your pickup covers?

Can understand finding the tokenism annoying but it's inevitably going to be exploited by marketers, like a white rapper etc.

She's pretty much up against it being a woman, there will be saddos thinking "omg marry me" but also those over compensating by under rating her playing. Might also be some resentment from some that she will be getting perceived undeserved extra attention due to her gender.
  • I'll let you know if she quotes any bible verses on Monday. I guess at least it's not a hidden agenda ( Billy Sheehan you religious freak...).
    I guess it's about being a big fish in a small pond, which is the guitarcentric universe.
    Although I know it's largely a sales pitch there is a pleasure in seeing someone that good up relatively close regardless of musical style or taste.   
  • soma1975 said:
    thegummy said:
    Sassafras said:

I'd add Josh Smith to that list. Amazing guitar player who has to be considered somewhere in the realm of a virtuoso and I can't recall a single song of his nor lick of his. 

I find Lari’s playing more interesting than Josh Smith but I have to agree with this.
    But this is probably because he’s more of a blues player and straight ahead blues makes me cringe ( probably listened to too much of it as a kid, now can’t stand it. I liked a good jazzed up blues though. )
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    johnl said:
    She's one of my favourite players - check out this solo she did for a Youtube collaboration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKSmSziOPNk

Either that's a massive Telecaster or she's really tiny.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22737
    I'll let you know if she quotes any bible verses on Monday. I guess at least it's not a hidden agenda ( Billy Sheehan you religious freak...).

Off topic, but isn't he a Scientologist?  I'm never quite sure if that's really a religion or not.  I suppose it is.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I'll let you know if she quotes any bible verses on Monday. I guess at least it's not a hidden agenda ( Billy Sheehan you religious freak...).

Off topic, but isn't he a Scientologist?  I'm never quite sure if that's really a religion or not.  I suppose it is.
    He is. I’ve read Leah Remini’s book about her time in it and watched a couple of documentaries although I’m still not sure I can quite answer your question. It’s very complex and very odd. 
    Philly_Q said:

It definitely is a religion. It's funny to hear other religious people (not suggesting you) suggest it's any less legit or more ridiculous than the older religions.

Sheehan is an incredibly skilled bassist but, to me, that translates even less so to good music than in the guitar world.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22737
    @thegummy I'm definitely not religious! :)  I think I hesitate to call Scientology a religion because it seems more like a way of life people are drawn into, or a form of brainwashing - I find it hard to accept they really believe in all that stuff about aliens and higher planes of being.

I guess you're right, other religions are equally ridiculous but for some reason I'm more able to accept that their adherents are sincere.  Maybe simply because they have more history and public respectability.
  • They might still be there now, I couldn’t quite face the signing and photo session. Hello Lari I’m a sad old man will you have a selfie with me? 

Well it wasn’t slick, it doesn’t seem like she does a lot of this kind of thing but she seemed pleasant enough, lovely smile. And, let’s face it, doing this in your second language in front of a group of ( mostly) men with funny accents must be hard going. She did mention God but only once and no bible passages. 

She’s a very good guitarist but it doesn’t excite me very much and playing to backing tracks always seems slightly naff to me. But it was interesting hearing her using the Lionheart so that was a bit of food for thought. The Laney guy was hinting at a new product in January which will be, possibly, a valve amp with a digital interface with downloadable IRs ( or possibly some shoes with IRs, I was a bit lost).
    I do have a supplementary question but I’ll post that as a separate Discussion.