Classical or Flamenco guitar advice?

What's Hot
Reasonably priced query. I am working between Granada and Ireland and thinking about another classical or flamenco guitar around the 3 or 400€ mark. I might look second hand as there are several options online in Spain anyhow.

I’d be playing indie rock , post rock type stuff on it with some open tunings ,and might look at installing a k&k pickup unless you have other recommendations.

For my price range would it matter if I get a classical or flamenco guitar? 

I understand there are small differences between the two. Preferably I’d go for something with a truss rod but not a deal breaker and preferably non cutaway.

Any recommendations on brands?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Reasonably priced query. I am working between Granada and Ireland and thinking about another classical or flamenco guitar around the 3 or 400€ mark. I might look second hand as there are several options online in Spain anyhow.

I’d be playing indie rock , post rock type stuff on it with some open tunings ,and might look at installing a k&k pickup unless you have other recommendations.

For my price range would it matter if I get a classical or flamenco guitar? 

I understand there are small differences between the two. Preferably I’d go for something with a truss rod but not a deal breaker and preferably non cutaway.

Any recommendations on brands?
    Differences between classical and flamenco guitars, aside from bracing is that classical guitars have more relief carved in/slightly higher action at 12th fret.

As for guitars with an adjustable truss rod, the only ones I can think of are Camps and Cordoba.  For the latter, the GK Studio seems to be a very popular model for 'crossover' style playing, but they have some more crossover models that might be your thing.  They are outside your budget but it might crop up within your budget S/H.

• @earwighoney Thanks for advice. I notice Alhambra do some classical models as well. Not sure yet if I´d be better buying in Spain rather than elsewhere.
  • I have an Alhambra, an Iberia, which is one of their lower priced models ( think about 300-400 quid new, I paid less second hand). Solid cedar top, but laminated back and sides.

For me, it has been a guitar I've had a lot of use out of for nearly 20 years.

Upsides: it sounds really good. My old guitar tutor had a high end factory made guitar -- ebony board, all solid wood, etc. -- and I preferred the sound of mine.

Downsides: the action would seem pretty high for someone coming from electric or steel string acoustic.

There are some nice luthier shops in Granada. I've no idea re: price, but I've admired things in the window, the one time I was there.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited September 2019
    The sound characteristics of a flamenco are quite different to a classical so it depends what fingerstyle and sound tone you are planning to go for.

Flamenco guitars are designed to minimise the sustain of the plucked note compared with a classical.  This is to suit the very percussive and rapid note plucking characteristic of the flamenco music...too much ringing sustain and the notes will tend to merge into an acoustic mush.

So if this is your playing style, then fine.  But if you want the sustained notes typical of the classical guitar pieces, then a classical guitar is what you need.

In very general terms, you can play a half decent 'spanish' sound on a classical, but you will struggle to get a decent classical guitar sustained note sound from a flamenco.

So, unless you are specifically intending to play flamenco or similar, get a classical.

Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Andyjr1515 it does indeed help, thanks. Classical it is then for me. What to get is another thing...
  • Since you are playing indie rock and intending to amplify, the differences in tone between classical and flamenco will be minimal ( apart from perhaps sustain as already mentioned). Similarly I probably wouldn’t worry about laminated back and sides, but a solid top is quite important. 
    If you go secondhand this spec should be achievable with a bit of patience in waiting for a good one to come up. I would aim to pay up to about 2/3 of new price. In addition to the brands already mentioned I would add La Patrie, an offshoot of Godin I believe, and Yamaha (NTX/NCX 700 or perhaps even the silent guitar). All these come up regularly secondhand in the usual channels. No truss rods though!
  • Should I be going for a truss rod ? Or does it really matter 
  • Conventional theory says you don’t need one for nylon strings as the tension isn’t so high and classical guitars have never traditionally been made with them. However, Cordoba seem to think there is some benefit. Perhaps it gives more control over set up, such as action height? 
  • Maybe. Hmmmm
  • The sound characteristics of a flamenco are quite different to a classical so it depends what fingerstyle and sound tone you are planning to go for.

Flamenco guitars are designed to minimise the sustain of the plucked note compared with a classical.  This is to suit the very percussive and rapid note plucking characteristic of the flamenco music...too much ringing sustain and the notes will tend to merge into an acoustic mush.

So if this is your playing style, then fine.  But if you want the sustained notes typical of the classical guitar pieces, then a classical guitar is what you need.

In very general terms, you can play a half decent 'spanish' sound on a classical, but you will struggle to get a decent classical guitar sustained note sound from a flamenco.

So, unless you are specifically intending to play flamenco or similar, get a classical.

Hope this helps.
    I'm sorry Andy, that's not always the issue.  It kind of is for some flamenco guitars, but not all.  It applies to a few flamenco guitars and quite a few 'blancas', in particular Conde blancas (cypress backs) which have little to no sustain, but other makers and types in particular 'negras' are built with rosewoods, and some have a lot more sustain than their 'blanca' counterparts.  

IMO, classical music can be played on a flamenco guitar eg I've seen Bach played on flamenco guitars now and again.  Here's one of my favourite flamenco guitarists playing Bach on his Conde, and even though the recording quality isn't the best to my ears I think there's no problem with playing such a piece on a flamenco guitar. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqKF-zzEi3c

Also, one of the all time great guitarists Manolo Sanlucar played a 60's Ramirez classical guitar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nwnru8OaHE

To the OP, I'd not worry about whether the guitar is a flamenco or a classical to begin with, for a budget instrument I'd be more concerned about finding the one that suits your hands the most.  
  • @earwighoney Thanks for the advice. I just did a rough search on thomann and narrowed it down by my pride point and there just seems to be so many options available it’s hard to know what to go for. Probably best if I go and play some.
    There are a few regular guitar shops here in Granada with your standard stock of stuff so I’ll have a look there maybe.
    There are also some used ones knocking around as well.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Hi @Creed_Clicks ;
    If its of any interest at all to you, I have an Admira 'Avila' that is in need of a new home.
    Second hand obviously, but its a honest solid top classical in good nick that won't break your budget (£100 + whatever shipping is to sunny Ireland).
    No obligation at all & feel free to tell me to go forth & multiply 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited September 2019
    @Kittyfrisk oh yeah ? Any pics etc and more info? Might plug the gap. 
    My original plan was to buy one in Spain and keep it here but I’ll see...
    Oh bollocks, now I have to go taking photo's  :)
    Bear with me, I'll see what I can do.
    OK, here we go.
    Can't find any significant marks at all (I'm careful) but its a cursory look.

That's it for now. More/better pics might be available tomorrow (after I get back from the pub & have a kip).
    Spruce top, ebony board & (I believe) rosewood back/sides.
    As I said, no obligation whatsoever & being a bit tarty, I'll consider reasonable offers from interested parties  ;) :)
  • @earwighoney is, of course, right.  Not all flamenco guitars are equal and the negra models are specifically designed to try to bring back some of the sustain missing from many of other designs.  Also, not all classical guitar pieces are equal.

So, for the OP, if you are wanting to play Bach, a flamenco guitar will do fine (I do, and it does) , but if you are looking for more the Cavatina sound    ,then many flamenco guitars will struggle.  Not sure which end of the spectrum your indie sits in..

• @Andyjr1515 just regular enough fare
    I have some further photo's if needed. I don't really want to clutter up the forum with unnecessary stuff.
    As I said, there's no pressure at all from me, so if you are interested & wanted any more information, just PM me?
    If not, no problems  ;)
  • Maybe for you the best choice will be crossover guitar 
  • @jmcustomguitars when you say crossover, could you give an example of a model?