Cover Challenge #7 - Voting

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
edited September 2019 in Making Music
This is the voting thread for the Cover Challenge #7

All the entries can be found in the playlist:

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below. 

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Saturday 7th September.
In the event of a tie for first place one of the modmins will be our head judge and have the casting vote. 

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. 

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can only see one entry in the playlist. It's a fix :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Some damn fined lunch break listening there!  Good work all round peeps!

OK so the points from the Lastplace Jury are:

5 points : @IMC1980 - great GnR job, the mix was a bit muffled but felt age appropriate, vocals were cracking.
    3 points : @poopot - Just great, Slippy on form again.  I hope his arrest holds off long enough for more.
    1 point : @flying_pie - Really nice job

@stratman3142 - man, I really like what you tried to do there, just some of the sounds went right through me.  Purely personal taste though ... and given what I submitted I probably shouldn't say anything.

The amount of work that goes into all these tracks is so vast, every one is a winner really. Nice work all.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited September 2019
    Been listening to these entries all week and before as they come into the email box!...

really tough to split this time tbh... but...

5pts @IMC1980 - sublime really, even had some locals dancing on the beach to it!!!!!

3pts @flying_pie - really good, despite the dodgy flavour flav vocal

1pt @stratman3142 - it was hard to split between this and the entry from@Bezzer tbh only went this way coz stratman’s version didn’t make me want to start self harming

it’s getting harder to split the votes in these comps!!!! Top job.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Great entries from everyone! After a day and evening listening to them all:

5 points @poopot - Uncle's strongest outing so far IMO, loved the intro riff, solo and flute, great stuff.

3 points @flying_pie - really captured the Public Enemy vibe

1 point @Bezzer - I think you should get this up in a library for film producers; this would make a brilliant horror movie soundtrack, really fucking creepy.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2019
    5 points @flying_pie : Very imaginative. Country rap - is that a new genre? The most entertaining entry.

3 points @IMC1980 : Great job of creating a version in  the style of GnR.

1 point @poopot : Great guitar sounds and playing, plus a nice loping baseline. TV cop theme music.

@Bezzer : I think I might have said that your previous entry was too close to the original, but this one seems to have gone way over to the opposite extreme   Maybe your next one will be somewhere in the middle. An interesting atmospheric piece in its own right.

I feel I'm just making up the numbers on this competition, but I'm determined to at least enter something. I'm slightly surprised I got any votes at all. I decided I was going to use NI Massive X for all the sounds as a way of learning how to use the synth. But then my brain got overloaded and I ended up largely relying on presets to get anything done by the deadline.

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

I feel I'm just making up the numbers on this competition, but I'm determined to at least enter something. I'm slightly surprised I got any votes at all.

That's two of us then :)

It's all a bit of fun though isn't it.  I use it as an excuse to try some new things out without the stress of trying to WRITE a song.

• 5 points @IMC1980 - just awesome all round

3 points @Bezzer - I really liked it. More tenuous dark metal covers please

1 point @poopot - another great Slippyfist (part of me would love to hear a different genre but we've got to move the Uncle's entries)

Kudos to @stratman3142 for a thoroughly enjoyable and crazy take. BTW I would call Country rap... Crap 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bezzer said:

It's all a bit of fun though isn't it.  I use it as an excuse to try some new things out without the stress of trying to WRITE a song.

Yes. It is all a bit of fun. I personally love doing ridiculous shit which I would never get away with gigging 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Amazing tracks all!

5 points @IMC1980 - hugely impressive version. I can see the GnR comparison but it also reminded me of Jane's Addiction
    3 points @poopot - very professional and listenable.
    1 point @stratman3142 - made me smile!

I wish I had more time - I fancied doing this in the style of The Verve - but it's a bit manic round here atm
  • Reminder that voting closes tonight 
  • Fin