Kossoff's Guitar on All Right Now Theory Vid

What's Hot

Comments

• I've seen that guy a couple times at guitar shows.  He loves himself alright. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    You need a really long pinkie to play it properly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Liked that  , very useful and explains why I can never nail it.  Never met the bloke but if I was as good a player / successful as him at that age I’d be intolerable, he comes across just as a young confident bloke in everything I’ve seen him in so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2019
    prowla said:
    You need a really long pinkie to play it properly.
    I'm not sure about exactly how he played it in the studio. Sounds good in the video.

However, I saw him a couple of times live. In that situation it looked like he played the low A on the 5th fret of the 6th string with his pinkie. Then I assume the edge of the pinkie was also resting on the fifth string to mute it. That facilitates avoiding too much drone from the A note, allowing a more percussive sound when strumming the D chord, by using a certain amount of left hand muting..

Also, live it looked like he got the passing G note in the D chord by lifting his 1st finger off the 2nd fret of the G string to get an open 3rd string.

That's the way I play it. I could be wrong or maybe he varied the way he played it.

It's not a competition.
  • I've seen that guy a couple times at guitar shows.  He loves himself alright. 
    You couldn't be any further away from the truth....Chris is a great guy, hasn't let his "fame" go to his head, completely down to earth normal guy..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    edited September 2019
    Didn't everyone learn to play this when they were a kid? I'm pretty sure this was one of the first tracks I heard and copied when I started playing the guitar.

My late father was a huge Free fan, so I grew up on Tons Of Sobs, which was more my thing, but when I heard this track for the first time, I was like 'I can play this!'... Lol, took a while to figure out the proper chords though. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2019
    stonevibe said:
    Didn't everyone learn to play this when they were a kid? 

I was utterly obsessed with Paul Kossoff's playing in my teens. I'd been playing the guitar about a year when Alright Now was released.

Over the years I've had lots of discussions with other guitarists about the minutiae of his playing. In the end I never did really nail his vibrato but hopefully developed a half decent vibrato in the process of trying.

In the end, as long as what you play has the right type of sound, vibe and attitude that's probably all that counts, rather than exactly how he played it. I'm pretty sure he varied how he played it live, especially the chorus.

It's not a competition.
  • Yes, he was the perfect player to inspire teenage guitar playing. Lots of feel and great hooks.

The band was also pretty young when they recorded these hits, so it was easy to identify with them.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• I've always played a combination of those as I have always been only guitarist when doing song. Good analysis though. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    "All Right Now" is one of the basic molecules of rock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18737
    Kossoff had a fretting hand vibrato & touch that was phenomenal. Such strength & fine control.
    Often imitated (even though he was also imitating his heroes) but seldom bettered. Well, when he wasn't off his face...
  • Several schools of thought on this classic, the 1970 Granada TV show goes some way to show the pinky fretted low A (E string) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqdCZ0yHNa4 plus the correct chorus stuff (same as below)

This guy is very close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y-t1X5JFwk  and the rumours abounded that Andy Fraser played some of it on the track too.  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18737
    the rumours abounded that Andy Fraser played some of it on the track too.  
    Having seen them live, I can reasonably say that he didn't do it often  ;)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362

I saw them too, it was all Koss live, no Andy involved. The studio mix was doubled tracked (at least) I believe
  • boogieman said:

I saw them too, it was all Koss live, no Andy involved. The studio mix was doubled tracked (at least) I believe
    I meant the studio track not live obviously, all rumour though :-) 
  • The story goes that  Fraser wrote this , and he was only 15 at the time  !
    He died a couple of years ago,  RIP. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Although I heard the song often, it was not one that our band attempted.  And everyone I saw playing it did the riff part 'wrong'.  But having looked it up in the last day or two, the guitar and bass parts are very interesting and not as easy to play as they sound.  Thanks for bringing this song to the forum.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    There is a Fretboard member version of this song too  :)  Did they get it right?  ;)

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    edited September 2019
    I've seen that guy a couple times at guitar shows.  He loves himself alright. 
    tae be or not tae be