Fret Levelling tool of choice ?

What's Hot
What’s yours ?

I have a huge stewmac beam that can be used with self adhesive sandpaper but it’s enormous and unwieldy and the sandpaper is expensive and hard to find.

I also have a crimson fret levelling file, very well made, and nice size, but I find it leaves tool marks on the playing surface of the frets that I can’t get rid of.

Maybe a diamond file of around the same size would be better ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    A cheap Wickes spirit level, one side face of which is a) just wide enough at 20mm or so, and b) impossibly true for a £10 tool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I use the Stewmac levelling bar & their fret files.

I then polish with high grade sandpaper and then micro mesh.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Gibson use one of these.....

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    randella said:
    A cheap Wickes spirit level, one side face of which is a) just wide enough at 20mm or so, and b) impossibly true for a £10 tool.
    If I were looking for a new one then this is what I’d look at. The H section makes the structure very stable, and being aluminium it’s light to handle

Until it wears out (ie after my lifetime) I’m using a fine toothed metal file blade. Not a cheap B&Q file, but a proper engineers metalworking file.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @NelsonP proper LOL. I bought a Martin OM-42 and I think they use a catapult a a brick "plek" is fucking wank. I've played 13 guitars with that and if I hadn't played a guitar with proper hand finished polished frets, I'd be pleased but for the money and supposed accuracy it's shite. The R9 I have was mostly "OK" but not good tech grade (I can't say "luthier" unless they actually make and adjust acoustic instruments, however a good tech is like a wizard)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    I use the Technofret 19" levelling beam from ebay iirc, they also sell the adhesive sandpaper strips at 240 and 320 grit, excellent stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 305
    I got a pice of 16" aluminium box section simillar to  the technofret and trued it up on a piece of 6mm glass with wet and dry. Cost me £3 plus the paper
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited September 2019
    I think there’s an argument for using a smaller tool like the Crimson files as opposed to a long beam / box section / spirit level, since the smaller ones don’t require the neck to be perfectly straight on its whole length when levelling but only locally straight.

This should give a bit more room for error ( ie non flatness / straightness of the neck ) when levelling and shouldn’t really matter for playability since the neck is never completely straight when under tension.
    Discuss ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I use a rectangular piece of 8mm glass (bevelled edges from glass merchants) that I spray glue wet-n-dry to. Cant remember which grit, but you can change as you like. The glass was cheap, it can be any length you want (mines about 7-8"x3"), and you can use any abrasive paper you have access to. It is also perfectly flat (at least as far as frets go. This is the way I was shown at Bailey guitars.

Adam

•  I use Steve Robinson of this parish (although I'm not sure that he'd be too happy about being referred to as a 'tool') :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kalimna said:

I use a rectangular piece of 8mm glass (bevelled edges from glass merchants) that I spray glue wet-n-dry to. Cant remember which grit, but you can change as you like. The glass was cheap, it can be any length you want (mines about 7-8"x3"), and you can use any abrasive paper you have access to. It is also perfectly flat (at least as far as frets go. This is the way I was shown at Bailey guitars.

Adam

That’s a cool idea!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    lysander said:
    Kalimna said:

Adam

That’s a cool idea!
    Cheers - cant say its mine tho!

Often simple ideas are good ones, and efforts to over-engineer/complicate things dont do the job any better, just more expensively :)

Adam
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited October 2019
    I ended up buying this file which I stumbled upon and like it a lot - good size, very controllable, quite quick but leaves a smoother surface than metal files.
    https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/guitar-tools/fret-levelling/Diamond-Fret-Leveller-File-TF020
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Musicwolf said:
     I use Steve Robinson of this parish (although I'm not sure that he'd be too happy about being referred to as a 'tool') :)
    I've been called worse :)

StewMac beam for me with strips of abrasive attached using double sided tape.