Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

guitar /amp marriage

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16089
I have done loads of serious sounding out with some great amps.........
One conclusion that I have derived most confirmedly is that Telecasters sound by far the best through Vox type amps 
I am inclined to think Strats likewise but no doubt some Hendrix fans will scream Marshall
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Marshall amps always sound harsh and thin to me, definitely  a Fender Amp type of nutter :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Agree.......until you turn them up very loud
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Teles through a tweed Deluxe for me.

But they also sound great into a Vox.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    If you make the Rob Robinette 3 way toggle switch mod and lower level caps to help speaker flub, then anything sounds great through a Tweed Deluxe. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    This will probably be heretical given the 'received wisdom', but I don't think there is any such thing. All good-sounding guitars sound good through all good-sounding amps, just different.

Telecasters sound great through anything from a tweed Fender to a Vox to a Marshall to a Fender Twin to a Boogie to a Soldano to a Roland JC120.

As do Les Pauls, and Strats, and 335s, and Gretsches, and Rickenbackers, and... you get the idea.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Tele through a Marshall JCM800 is one of the best tones I’ve heard in person. I’ve always been a Gibson/Marshall guy but that made me reconsider things.

I don’t like playing strats through anything unless they have humbuckers. That’s just me though as I love the sounds others can get out of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    A good amp just enhances a good guitar.
    I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect marriage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sassafras said:
    A good amp just enhances a good guitar.
    I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect marriage.
    Exactly - if there was we would all use it.  Some combinations will suit some players/styles, and others suit others
  • ICBM said:

Telecasters sound great through anything from a tweed Fender to a Vox to a Marshall to a Fender Twin to a Boogie to a Soldano to a Roland JC120.
    You forgot the orange micro terror.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bygone_Tones said:

You forgot the orange micro terror.
    That's the bunny boiler from hell.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele/Tweed Twin = Heaven
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2281
    A Strat always sounds great through a Marshall in my experience. I gigged this combo for many years. The Marshall will typically impart warmth, grit and breadth that Strats lack. Teles are all about the bridge pickups by and large and typically sounds great through everything especially with the top rolled off a bit.

Still waiting to find a Strat bridge pickup that can compete with a good Tele one.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690
    Nothing sounds good through anything unless I keep buying stuff. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    In the field of generality, it's ploughing time again.

For a clean Strat or Tele you can't beat a good Fender amp. For overdriven Les Paul  take your pick of Marshall or VOX. 
  • Anything through a tweed champ. Mic it up and away u go. Nothing touches it. 
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Dominic said:
    One conclusion that I have derived most confirmedly is that Telecasters sound by far the best through Vox type amps 
    I am inclined to think Strats likewise but no doubt some Hendrix fans will scream Marshall
    Concur. 
    Anything through a tweed champ. Mic it up and away u go. Nothing touches it. 
    I'd agree if it's a Champ with a 12" speaker. The 8" ones have a very specific tone that tends to override the guitar so they all sound the same. Or is that what you meant? :)

(I used to own an original '59 5F1 Champ.)

• Heel said:
    Dominic said:
    Concur. 
    I’ve heard that on The Wind Cries Mary, Hendrix used a Vox amp. Might be wrong.
  • And when we have the perfect guitar / amp marriage - we all f*ck it up with a massive pedal board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    And when we have the perfect guitar / amp marriage - we all f*ck it up with a massive pedal board.
    I wouldn’t need a pedal board to f*!k it up
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom