Taylor neck gap

What's Hot
EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
edited September 2019 in Acoustics
I'm aware that Taylor uses a bolt on construction and small gaps are often filled with putty.

I just took delivery of a used Taylor (pics below) and the gap really does seem outside of normal parameters. I've not owned a Taylor before so I wondered if anyone could tell me if it's par for the course. Looks like a sloppy neck reset to me.

http://imgur.com/a/LfWyo41
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Update: had a look at the base of the neck and the Taylor sticker had been broken through to access the bolt, confirming that the neck has been off (and seemingly not reattached very neatly). Pickup doesn't work either, so time to open a return request. Gutted!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    That's been absolutely buggered by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Return with extreme prejudice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What a bodge
  • Never seen a gap on a Taylor.   That looks like someone who doesn't know what they're doing has had a go!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Taylor are like PRS, they are VERY well made, I have never seen one less than perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks all. The seller has offered £250 compensation for this. What do you think? I understand that re-doing a neck reset on a Taylor isn't all that difficult, although since this one has already been bodged might be a bit trickier.
    Epsilon said:
    Thanks all. The seller has offered £250 compensation for this. What do you think? I understand that re-doing a neck reset on a Taylor isn't all that difficult, although since this one has already been bodged might be a bit trickier.
    Given the state of that I wouldn't accept anything other than a full refund.

It needs to go back to Taylor, or at least a very good luthier, to be properly repaired and put back to stock, including replacing the label.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ouch, the Taylor neck is about the easiest to reset ( if you know what you are doing )n but also the easiest to bugger up if you are a DIY luthier without much idea what you are doing. Such a shame. Hope the return goes ok.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    edited September 2019
    For reference, what a pro reset should look like.

I guess I'm wondering if a pro reset will get it back in good shape, or if there is likely to be permanent damage. 
  • Epsilon said:
    I guess I'm wondering if a pro reset will get it back in good shape, or if there is likely to be permanent damage. 
    Well a pro reset by a competent luthier can run more than what the seller is offering you as a refund. Judging by the photos I wouldn't doubt if it needed shimming under the fretboard. There are also finish issues to consider. Depends on how much you paid for it and whether it's something that would bother you to own. A good neck re-set on an older guitar is seen as a positive. A bad one, not so much.
  • Epsilon said:
    Well a pro reset by a competent luthier can run more than what the seller is offering you as a refund. Judging by the photos I wouldn't doubt if it needed shimming under the fretboard. There are also finish issues to consider. Depends on how much you paid for it and whether it's something that would bother you to own. A good neck re-set on an older guitar is seen as a positive. A bad one, not so much.
          Unless it was a staggeringly cheap purchase I would certainly return it.
    When logic and proportion
    Given that I can't get anything out of the pickup either I think it's probably not worth risking it. What a shame, as it's otherwise a very nice sounding and playing guitar.
    Epsilon said:
    Given that I can't get anything out of the pickup either I think it's probably not worth risking it. What a shame, as it's otherwise a very nice sounding and playing guitar.
    The good news is that Taylors are very consistent on both counts, and getting another one as good that hasn't been ruined shouldn't be too difficult.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom