Detuner on Jazz Bass?

dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
Quick question for the bass heads.
I'm looking at a 2008 Fender US Jazz Bass for sale.........it has a detuner on the low E. The seller says that it is original equipment. Did Fender ever sell a Jazz model with detuners factory fitted?
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited September 2019
    The four string Roscoe Beck signature model had small Hipshot Ultralite ‘heads, including one D-Tuner/X-tender version.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The four string Roscoe Beck signature model had small Hipshot Ultralite ‘heads, including one D-Tuner/X-tender version.
    Thanks , looking at it, it doesn't look like one of those. She looks like a regular USA Jazz Standard 4 string, with a hipshot on the low E........I think it's a fairly common mod that people do but just checking if it was ever a factory feature?
  • I don't think it ever was a feature on a standard jazz, US or otherwise. It was on some signature models. Could have been on a special run for a big store or something. Said that, it is a fantastic feature either way, love it on my Marcus jazz. 
  • Thanks..........I agree that's it's desirable.......just a bit confused by the seller claiming it was an original feature.
  • Could have been a signature model bought used previously?
  • Most likely explanation is that the seller was the instrument's second owner and that the D-Tuner was already fitted when the bass was acquired.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Does it match the other tuners? I have Hipshot Dtuner on my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz which I added, it works well and was a straight replacement but isn't the same as the Schaller ones that were stock?