Brighter sound

Hi all. Very new to the guitar but have a good background in sound engineering and the techy side of things. I have a Tanglewood guitar (I believe it is solid top and laminate sides) and find that the top end seems to lack any real presence. It's their but quite soft. I am not sure if it is an age thing, but I now prefer a sound that is brighter. I have changed to some non phosphor bronze strings, but I still find it muted. There seems to be a fair amount on warmer sounding guitars but I was wondering is their a known manufacturer who produces brighter sounding guitars without sounding clinical or cold.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    Before changing guitars you might consider a bone nut and saddle (assuming yours doesn't already have them) to add a bit of presence to the sound. Do you play with a pick? Pick shape and material can have a night and day effect too.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Which Tanglewood model is it? Do you play with fingers or a pick? In my experience Tanglewood can tend to be bright so this is slightly unusual.

In addition to Lewy's advice try 80/20 strings which are a little brighter. Also, do you rest your arm across the guitar top when playing? That can mute the response, particularly if you are wearing a jumper or jacket. Bear in mind also that the sound in front of the guitar is different to what you hear in the playing position so get a friend to play it while you listen from the front to see if the sound is better to your ears.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Try 80/20 bronze strings as Jimbro said - they're brighter than phosphor bronze.

Also - are the frets tarnished or corroded? That can make a surprisingly large difference - if they are, polish them with some mildly abrasive metal polish, with the fingerboard protected with masking tape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks for that guys. Some really interesting points I hadn't considered. I have ordered some John Pearse 80/20s as I read they were quite bright. I also do play with my arm on the front of the guitar. I should have also considered I would be hearing the guitar from a different position so it would sound different than  being in front of the guitar.
    The Tanglewood model is an STK  but only know it has a solid top.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    If you're using a pick, the choice of material can make a huge difference. Check out youtube for some examples. This is demonstrating the reverse but gives an idea of the tonal range. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=TUwq-8jxx0s
  • Second the bone nut and saddle recommendation . 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Lewy said:
    Before changing guitars you might consider a bone nut and saddle (assuming yours doesn't already have them) to add a bit of presence to the sound. Do you play with a pick? Pick shape and material can have a night and day effect too.
    Sorry @Lewy, I didn't see you'd said pretty much the same thing. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    camf said:
    Lewy said:
    Sorry @Lewy, I didn't see you'd said pretty much the same thing. 

All good!
  • STK Bridge saddle,pins and nut are abs plastic as standard
      As metioned above bone will improve the tone a fair bit.
       If you want a vegetarian option Tusq works well too- but has less longevity.
        The saddle will make the most difference.
      Its worth replacing the bridge pins as well-
        Ebony bone and Tusq are all suitable.
         Finger and thumb picks will help if playing fingerstyle with short fingernails.
    When logic and proportion
  • Thanks again all. The video clip is incredible; I am amazed the pick can have such a huge influence on the sound. I was considering changing the bridge and pins but wasn't sure what they were currently so thanks for confirming.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited September 2019
    Bridge pins make no difference. If you think they do, try swapping just half of them and compare the strings with one type to the strings with the other.

(Discounting ones like the brass type with a different string path, those do make a difference.)

Of course, some of them look nice which is a good reason to change them .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson