Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

“Masterbuilt” or “guitar by stencil”...

What's Hot

Comments

• I have thought for quite some time that heavy relics and ultra relics were a number of steps too far along the relic road for me.  I am not surprised that they are using templates to bring a level of consistency. 
    There may be some justification if the templates are lifted from real examples but it does undermine the argument that you are paying for a work of art.
    I am sure there will be plenty of comment, from fans of this sort of thing, that there is a huge amount of skill in preparing the wood, in advance of being stenciled, so that the bare wood looks authentically aged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are there any other products where unique artificial aging is desirable?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Designer aged jeans?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Are there any other products where unique artificial aging is desirable?
    Fake antiques.
    Actors.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clothing – denim, leather
    Furniture
    And cars too in the world of hot rods

Rob Wade’s ’65 Chevy II has a few parts of its fresh paint worn through to give the car some patina. The trick is to not overdo it.

There's bound to be other examples too

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    leather - jackets, bags
  • I know it might be to some people's tastes, and I like a relic, but not extreme. It looks awful. 

My MIM Fender Flea Jazz Bass looks more authentic and it was less than £900 in a rare colour with USA pickups. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    oak + pine furniture
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22779

I've got an Ancho Poblano Strat and I've seen quite a few examples of the same model - I've noticed that they all have pretty much the same wear patterns.  It's not a heavy relic though, I think it was one of the first "journeyman" relic models, so I doubt there were actual stencils used.

Once you get to the heavy/ultra relic models, I really don't like the ones where they try to create specific wear patterns.  The Rory Gallagher models, for example, have always looked fake.

• OK I think I've got enough info now to work on a completely relic-ed house/car/wardrobe/life. It's just a shame I'm so well-preserved. :(
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    It just goes to show that the work done by our own refinishers on tFB is even more impressive!...

I can’t see anyone of them churning out the same thing over and over again...

if you you want something unique get it refinished by the likes of Scott et al!!!!
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I like the journeyman relic finishes. But the heavy ones look comical to me. Always have done. Because most people look after their guitars. So the wear has never seemed real. 

I bought a Victorian house three years ago and because the temperature changes a lot. I’m starting to see nitro cracks appear in my Les Paul Goldtop. But it will take decades before a patina appears, if ever. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    I always thought the heavy relics look a bit dodgy, but they got it just right with the Journeyman finish. 
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Paint by numbers really

The ones I've played all look so fake & premeditated 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader

The trick is to not overdo it.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've always had a problem with the necks too to be honest.

Firstly - the profile never feels right to me, but in the Peach video - you just don't get the wear like that on a real one, it's so obviously sanded and the lacquer on the headstock is obviously brand new.

I think Fender makes some stonking instruments, but these ain't it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Violins
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Look on the bright side - it's easier to identify fakes, as the wear won't look exactly the same as the real thing!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Lets face they have to do it some how .It was all a bit suspicious as no primer showing as wear and tear would suggest  .Removing paint deliberately was fairly common even in early days but not like that .It tended to be all or nothing  usually when bored in hotel bedrooms when the groupie  had  been used  and abused and you were still high .So off came the paint, afterwards told as tone improvement .My friends P Bass bought well used in 1964 had no paint on it  except under the pickguard  when he got it .He just used  holts rattle can to paint it white but it was a poor finish .So I suggest that style should be called mid groupie style .
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I've always thought the Gibson VOS job always looks great as does the Custom Shop NOS