Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

“Masterbuilt” or “guitar by stencil”...

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd be lying if I said I understood the point of relicing.

I think it's mental paying extra for someone to f*** up a guitar (I'd just give it to my kids).

But hey YMMV.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed - It's like "the emperors new clothes" to my way of thinking. Everybody says it's great but....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I'd be lying if I said I understood the point of relicing.

I think it's mental paying extra for someone to f*** up a guitar (I'd just give it to my kids).

But hey YMMV.

I guess the whole idea is that an old guitar is played in, like a broken in shoe.  Even if it's fake...it tricks the mind.

I am no saint either, i bought a relic guitar, but not £6k. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited September 2019
    I think Fender must have got the idea from LTD. ESP made a few lower end Eclipse models with laughably reliced paint jobs that all looked identical.

Reminds me of nights I spent drinking cider in the 80s with my friend, a master craftsman antique furniture restorer. He would make an ancient wrecked dining table look like it had just left Mr. Chippendale's workshop brand new...

..then out came the chains in the sacks and we knocked seven bells out of the top to simulate centuries of honest wear and tear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    I can't figure out how to cut it out that accurately even with a stencil, unless it is done with a CNC machine with a laser or something.
    I would guess they have a big box of pre cut masks that they stick on the guitars before painting... the steps would be as follows:

1) stick masks to guitar
    2) paint guitar
    3) peel masks off
    4) piss yourself laughing in way to bank

I did it myself a while ago making a reic for my own amusement:
    1.Stick masking sheet (like masking tape in sheet form) onto a disposable backing 
    2. Cut wear pattern out of masking sheet with laser cutter program (you couldn't do it on the body as it would cut into the wood.
    3, peel stencil sheet and stick onto sealed body 
    4. Spray and clear coat body.
    5. Peel off stencil sheet to reveal wear pattern. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

But hey YMMV.
    I liken it to a moron badge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Garthy said:

But hey YMMV.
    Do explain. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are there any other products where unique artificial aging is desirable?
    Just to add to the growing list, Leica went down the relic route a few years ago with their Lenny Kravitz 'Correspondent' edition of the Leica M camera. It wasn't universally well received but the edition probably still sold (at, I seem to recall, £20K for a camera, 2 lenses and, bizarrely, a briefcase). =)
    https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/a-gentlemans-essential-leica-m-p-correspondent-by-lenny-kravitz/
    Leica Press Release
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1399
    edited September 2019
    Double post.
  • Are there any other products where unique artificial aging is desirable?
    Leica went down the relic route a few years ago with their Lenny Kravitz 'Correspondent' limited edition of the Leica M camera. It wasn't universally well received but the edition probably still sold out (Leica fanboy collectors are worse than Fender collectors). £20K (I seem to recall) and it came with a couple of lenses and, bizarrely, a briefcase.
    Press Release
    https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/a-gentlemans-essential-leica-m-p-correspondent-by-lenny-kravitz/
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    Multiple posts from the same template, this place is going to pot.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    At least Gibson would never do this

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    poopot said:
    I can't figure out how to cut it out that accurately even with a stencil, unless it is done with a CNC machine with a laser or something.
    I would guess they have a big box of pre cut masks that they stick on the guitars before painting... the steps would be as follows:

1) stick masks to guitar
    2) paint guitar
    3) peel masks off
    4) piss yourself laughing in way to bank

I did it myself a while ago making a reic for my own amusement:
    1.Stick masking sheet (like masking tape in sheet form) onto a disposable backing 
    2. Cut wear pattern out of masking sheet with laser cutter program (you couldn't do it on the body as it would cut into the wood.
    3, peel stencil sheet and stick onto sealed body 
    4. Spray and clear coat body.
    5. Peel off stencil sheet to reveal wear pattern. 

6) piss yourself laughing all the way to bank?

joking aside, how did it come out?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    edited September 2019
    Garthy said:

But hey YMMV.
    Do explain. 

I think it's interesting that people who don't like relic finishes spend so much time being bothered by them.

I have no idea what finishes their guitars have.  And I couldn't give a flying fuck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timhulio said:
    Has there ever been a guitar with genuine wear in that pattern?

All my genuine wear comes from misjudging either how close I am to my computer desk or missing the slot on the rack and hitting an instrument that was already there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    FatPete said:
    At least Gibson would never do this

Same guitar or two different ones?
  • Those look like different guitars to me.  Look at the wood grain directly in line with the strap pin.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited September 2019
    Interesting thread...

I LOVE relics; heavier the better for me.

I will say my Masterbuilt Jason Smith ‘63 remains the best Strat Ive ever played; including a few ‘real’ sixties ones.

Just sayin’

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    edited September 2019
    And that second LP is custom shop first one isn’t. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Interesting thread...

I LOVE relics; heavier the better for me.

I will say my Masterbuilt Jason Smith ‘63 remains the best Strat Ive ever played; including a few ‘real’ sixties ones.

Just sayin’

Philly_Q said:
    Garthy said:

But hey YMMV.
    Do explain. 

I think it's interesting that people who don't like relic finishes spend so much time being bothered by them.

I have no idea what finishes their guitars have.  And I couldn't give a flying fuck.

I agree @Wazmeister ;; and @Philly_Q ;; - I was thinking this earlier in the posting - I wouldn't want a new/aged modern based guitar, like a PRS for instance - But as a replica of a guitar that is 60 years old, I think new shiny somehow looks wrong - I agree that not all seriously aged models look right and now Journeyman lightly aged is the best selling option - But there is some serious pasting aimed at 'the idiots' who buy such guitars

I'm not sure how many just dislike the aged vibe based on looks alone, and fine if that is their opinion - Equally I'm unsure how many have actually played a C/Shop aged replica

I've said it before but aged C/Shop replicas out sell NOS models but something like an 80/20 ratio and I think it is higher than that - Every time I've stocked any NOS models they have nearly always had to be slashed in price to sell - So  like it or lump it, the product range is successful and I can personally vouch that many relic buyers are not idiots

As a side note, going back to the original OP comments - I think some excellent detective work by @poopot - I think such work does not do the Masterbuilders any favours regardless
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom