An album by your favourite band.

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1778
edited September 10 in Music
Since the advent of streaming, music is more accessible than ever. I have a headphone in at work all day every day as it means i can't hear other people.. If i'm not after a particular band i'll usually put on one of the amazon prime genre playlists. This often sends me down a rabbit hole if i hear a track that particularly stands out to me, i'll then 'discover' that band. 

i like my rock and metal, but when i think about what is in common with all the music i like a lot it's melody. Whether that's death metal, classical, blues, drum & bass etc, if there's a great melody i'm game. 

So, in the interests of discovering more - post an album by your favourite band. Just post the one album. Hell, just post a track if that's easier, send me down a rabbit hole. 

Also, i know "favourite" band will probably change throughout the day, so just post an all time favourite for you. Something that you can always go back to and not get bored. 

This is mine - 

It's not groundbreaking, but Hardcore Superstar are probably my favourite band.. There is fun energy in all of their tracks, and each album is different enough to keep them interesting, and they put on a hell of a show

edit - just realised i posted a playlist of the album, so only had the first song.. if you are actually interested here is the album HCSS,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 459
    edited September 10
    Currently loving The Glorious Sons - especially their live albums on Spotify - kick ass "real" band with great songs and a total star in their lead singer. Small town band from Kingston in Canada. Quite dark lyrics sometimes but the singer gives it everything.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WIJnNrr8Y

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 13600
    I'm an old hippy who loves prog, my favourite band is the ultra-unfashionable Pendragon. Here's one track (prog so over 12 minutes long!). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhA64iWqMGE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1778
    Yep enjoyed all them! 

I went down the Pendragon hole a little while ago and enjoyed it. Recommend any particular albums?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 22679
    Try "Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic" by The Ocean.

"And what would humans be without love?"
    “RARE, said Death.”

• How To Measure A Planet by The Gathering. This Dutch band started as a doom metal outfit with grunty male vocals. By 1999 they hard morphed into an ambient rock band (in a similar trajectory to the history of Anathema) with the stratospheric vocals of Anneka Van Giersbergen. How To Measure a Planet features catchy rock songs, but also more post-rock style ambient work and there's more than a hint of Floyd in there.

• fandangofandango Frets: 1498
    edited September 10
    Frank Zappa “Imaginary Diseases”:

https//m.youtube.com/watch?v=HU3m07EdN30&list=OLAK5uy_mTOF_tmTBeQarwGi3ePdbqNB9GXrzZvRA

EDIT: Oops, that was for a track called “Oddients”, so try this link below for the correct track:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clwGyT3Rbnw&list=OLAK5uy_mTOF_tmTBeQarwGi3ePdbqNB9GXrzZvRA
    For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
  • Black Album by The Damned
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 13600
    edited September 10
    LuttiS said:
    Yep enjoyed all them! 

I went down the Pendragon hole a little while ago and enjoyed it. Recommend any particular albums?
    I like them all al lot, unsurprisingly, but overall I think that they sound at their best live, so I would recommend Concerto Maximo which I think has definitive versions of many of their best songs. Their most successful studio album is the Masquerade Overture. To be honest I absolutely love their last 3 live albums in particular.

Edit: How could I forget Pure - immense album!!!
  • I’m not really sure I’ve had favourite bands for a long time but I’ve being going back to Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear for over thirty years. Indeed, I had a reggae compilation on in the car today and the title track from MG was almost certainly my favourite track on it. Many of the musicians are from The Wailers so it’s reggae royalty ( Burning Spear are the singers rather than the whole band). 
    It appears in several greatest albums type lists and there is a dub remix of it called Garvey’s Ghost.
    Anyway, bit of contrast to the others posted so far if nothing else. 
    Who invaded Spain in the eight century?
    The Moops.
  • fobfob Frets: 564
    Don't really have a favourite band and the video below doesn't really align too closely with what you posted but, reading your post, this is what popped into my head - opening track to a great album:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 2124
    Machine Gun Etiquette by The Damned. 

Also

Stonechild by Jesca Hoop 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 3344
    Rumours by Fleetwood Mac

One Hot July by Tony Joe White
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

• steven70steven70 Frets: 162
    edited September 10
    Has to be something by The Bitter Springs. This one will do for starters...it ain't rock but there be a melody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYKrV1mLR7E

Looks like i've got a good playlist for tomorrow, will listen to it all :)
    Cheers folks!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 6492
    Not necessarily my absolute favourite band, but I listen to My Sleeping Karma quite a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SjHVDpXYgw
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 702
    Not an album as such but a must see gig at the Granada studios of one of my favourite bands

• My favourite band is Cocteau Twins, basically ever since I first heard them back in 1984. Their 1990 album Heaven Or Las Vegas is as good a place as any to start.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 2062
    I’m not really sure I’ve had favourite bands for a long time but I’ve being going back to Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear for over thirty years. Indeed, I had a reggae compilation on in the car today and the title track from MG was almost certainly my favourite track on it. Many of the musicians are from The Wailers so it’s reggae royalty ( Burning Spear are the singers rather than the whole band). 
    It appears in several greatest albums type lists and there is a dub remix of it called Garvey’s Ghost.
    Anyway, bit of contrast to the others posted so far if nothing else. 
    Me too. My brother bought me Marcus Garvey for my 13th birthday. Although I no longer have the vinyl, I listen to it (and Garvey's Ghost) regularly. Formative album for me.... 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1749
    Just one of many favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MElfYleGIVU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Maybe not my favourite band of all time but definitely up there. 

Currently obsessed with this album. 
    Built to Spill - Untethered Moon 

Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic" by The Ocean - Not heard this before, there is a lot going in the music, heavy & melodic - really enjoyed it. I think it will need another listen to really appreciate it.

How To Measure A Planet by The Gathering - Quite a contrast after listening to The Ocean :) Quite mellow, but some of the songs have fantastic tension in them. I liked the one that i think started at 26:50, not sure if that was the beginning of the track or a break but it stood out to me while working..

Frank Zappa “Imaginary Diseases” -- Big Zappa fan, so this always welcome.. going to see Dweezil play hot rats in December :)

Black Album by The Damned - Never sat down and listed to an album by The Damned.. but several quite familiar tracks. Good stuff.

Lush - Light from a dead star - Again, totally different. Liked the music, not sold on her voice.. i part really like it, and part detest it. Overall liked the song, think i need to hear more.

Slayer - Hell Awaits. Love thrash, but never been a big slayer fan. Mainly because i can't stand Kerry, and more importantly because it winds my mates (who are slayer fans) up so so much. Still a great album.

Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear - Listened to a few tracks i found on youtube. I like some reggae, and i often try it again and again, but i just don't seem to click with it.. I have listened to Marcus Garvey before, not convinced.. yet :)

Yes - Roundabout - Another band that i've listened to, know many tracks, but not properly paid attention to. Great album. Best youtube comment - friend: How many times have you listened to Roundabout? Me: How many breads have you eaten in life?

And this is as far as i am this morning (and last night) :) Keep em coming! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 3876
    The Pixies doolittle

Not all their greatest songs but one of if not my all time favourite album.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1166
    Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power.
    One of the permanents in my top ten albums list.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

Lukas Nelson and Promise of the real - Turn off the news and build a garden

• fobfob Frets: 564
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 596
    The Stranglers were the first band I ever really got into and I still think all of their albums up to about 1986 are great. This is probably my favourite:

Getting through them today! 

Stonechild by Jesca Hoop  - I think i had some folk induced childhood trauma that gives me an intensely adverse reaction to folk. Listened to the first track then had to skip the rest. She has a nice voice and the music was good, but all together it's a nope!   (liked the other suggestion of the damned though)

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac - Being an little shit and a metal head while young, Fleetwood Mac were Grandad music for super old and lame people that i was far too cool for. I rediscovered them a couple of years ago on a Prime playlist and Rumours is now one of my favourite albums. Yes, i do feel like a dick for dismissing them, but better late than never ay?

One Hot July by Tony Joe White - Left youtube to do it's thing after this, and liked a lot of what was offered. Lots of great stuff here. 

The Bitter Springs - Addison Brothers - I can see me getting into this, Wasn't right for work today, but i will be going back on another day

My Sleeping Karma - Moksha - That was weird. And pleasing. 

Free - Probably would have been better watching, but alas, had to be on in the background while working. Paul Rodgers is one of my favourite singers. In bad company by bad company when he sings company. Chills. Great concert that.

Cocteau Twins, heaven or las vegas - That was unexpected.. Started off not liking it, oddly sad it ended...

Smashing Pumpkins - Already one of my favourite bands. Everything on Siamese Dream is gold. Even the bad tracks. 

Built to Spill - Untethered Moon -  That was great! It reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it.. 

On to the Pixies now.. 
  • Only just discovered this band, but this is already one of my favourite albums in recent years after a few listens.  Hopefully this works as a playlist link.  Pretty varied album with a bunch of interesting songs on it.  Singer kind of reminds me of the guy from Leprous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDO2t0wam34&list=PLCBKZmILGdCnnFvz912c9rkh7ZHIDQN5V