Deacci Pickups

What's Hot
Just a quick word to let you know about a new range of electric guitar pickups now available, made by a friend of mine.

Some of you may remember the forerunner to these pickups, named 'RD Pickups', who made some lovely PAF style humbuckers based on the Dry Z pickups in his vintage Greco EGF1200 LP guitar. Deacci pickups are now offering even more variety than before.

Thanks for looking!

http://deacci.com

https://www.facebook.com/deacci?ref=ts&fref=ts

Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    Well at those prices he's not going to be selling a lot. $400 for a pair of P90's plus P&P then VAT and import tax !!!!!! thats works out at about $500 you can buy a lot of OIL CITY pickup's for that and they be just as good or two sets of BK's

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    You have to hand it to people, talk about the random nature of vintage PAF then wind your pickups using a patent applied for method using a Fibonacci sequence. include no videos or sound samples I could see, nor could I find any user you tube vids and then charge me 400 bucks to find out what they sound like. Not the best thought out marketing in the internet age
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Appreciate the feedback and it will be passed on to the man in charge - not sure if the website is 100% complete at this stage..

• Bron_Yr_AurBron_Yr_Aur Frets: 99
    You have to hand it to people, talk about the random nature of vintage PAF then wind your pickups using a patent applied for method using a Fibonacci sequence. include no videos or sound samples I could see, nor could I find any user you tube vids and then charge me 400 bucks to find out what they sound like. Not the best thought out marketing in the internet age
    To be fair, I found the sound samples pretty easily. They were cunningly hidden under 'How they sound'...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Nice packaging

Hope it's not like the perfume industry where you pay more for the funky bottle than the fragrance

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deaccideacci Frets: 41
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the initial post and comments. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules but hope you will allow me to better clarify a few of the points raised

Deacci are located in N . Ireland so there will be no import duties or nasty shipping surprises to any EU customers. The reason you see everything in dollars at the minute is because the paid google advertising campaign which just started yesterday is entirely focused on the USA, I had to pick one country to begin with, so based on past experience, it had to be the USA

Limitations with the current shopping cart software mean it can only do one currency at present, however we hope to fix that some time really soon. US customers would not be paying any sales tax or VAT as we call it and I believe US import tax would not be applied for sales of single sets at this price but I stand to be corrected on that.

Pricing in the UK and EU for the humbuckers will be £200 GBP for uncovered and £215-£225 (inc VAT) with covers depending on whether nickel or gold plated which I believe is in the same general range as other winders.

Videos are very much on the todo list however you should be able to find the sound samples for most of the current lineup on the product pages. I would really like to have samples from customers however that is going to take time and as today is literally Day 2 for Deacci our first task is to get some of these into customers hands.

The two key objections I am hearing above is price and comparison to other pickups after all these are unknown for now !

Looks like I definately need to make the "no questions asked 30 day money back guarantee" visible on the website, we want you to love these, and if you try them I fully expect you will, however the guarantee is there to give you that confidence. If you dont like them just send them back for a full refund. That is not an introductory offer, it will always be there.

25% discount will apply to anyone from thefretboard who wants a set before the end of May, just contact me through the website and mention thefretboard and I can provide prices in GBP or EURO

I do appreciate the feedback, I believe it is just as important to give customers not just quality pickups, but the best possible service.

Declan,
    Deacci Guitar Pickups
    Declan Larkin  |  Deacci Guitar Pickups
    www.deacci.com  |  +44 7799 417775
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oh and the P90 prices are for a set, thanks for the heads up I will fix that so it is clear on the website
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    deacci said:
    Thanks for the initial post and comments. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules but hope you will allow me to better clarify a few of the points raised

Hi @deacci and here's an official from-the-admin-team forum "welcome"!

You're breaking no forum rules.  One of the reasons that we set up the "made in the UK" section was to give the UK industry another small platform to get their products in front of the market.  All FoC too, because we're nice.  

Or daft.

What you'll get here is some fairly straight-talking, no-nonsense feedback from our ever-growing membership.  The more time and effort you invest in the forum, the more chance you've got of being recognised and appreciated and supported.  

Hopefully you'll be able to use this forum to help your business, and to help some more guitar players appreciate your products.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    deacci said:

Deacci are located in N . Ireland
    Only just by the look of it!
    Good luck, we need industry beyond call centres.
    To be fair, I found the sound samples pretty easily. They were cunningly hidden under 'How they sound'...
    Think not all have it yet, the ones I looked at have "coming soon". Though for the market I think they're aiming for a soundclip could only be a starting guide, 30 day returns is sensible, maybe essential.
    edited May 2014
    imalone said:
    deacci said:

What do you mean?

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    citizen68 said:
    imalone said:
    deacci said:

What do you mean?

Just south of Newry, joke about proximity to the border. If it's the good luck bit you wanted clarifying: lots of companies now choosing to open call centres in NI, which is good because it provides jobs, but doesn't necessarily build up a skills base and could relocate somewhere else. Also, just good luck in general.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi I probably sounded a bit harsh which I did not intend to be. and in the end I found the sound samples. I still think you are shooting very high for a new product. Your pitching it at guys like Throbak and Stephens etc etc who have spent a massive amount of time recreating classic vintage paf with accurate winding patterns to some of the better sounding originals. These guys are sweating magnet compositions and are recovering time and R&D as well as a proven product. To charge your prices without further explanation of what sorts your product from a stock hand winder. People who blow this sort of money on a pickup expect the nitty gritty accurate correct wire coating etc etc. Winding standard Bobbins your way with standard wire puts you three times dearer than the general pickup winder. Also Paf nuts will probably want to know the amp guitar and recording method in the samples. Just a few thoughts
    Thanks again for all comments & feedback. I helped Declan with the soundclips so will aim to get the details of guitar, amp & recording method up on the site as soon as possible..

Tony, thanks for the reassurance I appreciate the opportunity to discuss the new product on your forum.

Jez,
    I could have done with you about 6 months ago for some constructive criticism. I have spent that long developing this product, including a very frustrating patent process, which meant that only a select few could know anything about it, so feedback has always been from the cheerleaders. You are a breath of fresh air.

I totally understand your points in relation to Throbak and Stephens Design pickups, it is what many prospective customers will also be thinking so I do need to respond to your points and probably make it clearer where our efforts have been spent.

I can assure you that I have sweated my fair quota of magnet compositions, steel compositions, wire size and type and winding patterns. I use Butyrate bobbins for the humbuckers and I processed 60kg of my own formula for the slugs from the foundry to the finished product, some of this may not be exactly vintage correct, I am sure the slug material in original PAF's was never Pure Iron, I have used it all and continue with a slug formula that is very close to Wrought Iron. I pay more for localy sourced materials, and firmly believe that I should be spending my money whenever possible in the countries that buy the pickups.

Every material is chosen specifically with the intention of creating the absolute best quality experience, not just the sound, but the experience from playing the pickup so I will need to re-read my website copy and see where I failed to get this bit across.

There are many more details that I want to release right now about the winding process, but until patent searches are complete I am limited in what I can say. Patent attornmeys advised that I should inform customers that the product is subject to a patent application, I would have prefered to leave that bit out for now.

More importantly, the only thing I am interested in is happy customers, so the 30 day money back guarantee is there to give any prospective customer confidence to try them out for themselves. In fact forget the 30 days and lets make it 60 days.

Does this convince you Jez ? :) or am I still too expensive as £150 (inc your 25% discount ) for a set of Deacci pickups in a cool grey box with a window in it sounds good to me :), and significantly cheaper than the two others you mention. BTW packaging cost is about £2 so its definately not the perfume industry.

I know I know, I am still promoting a new brand with absolutely no verifiable track record yet, you have talked me down to £130 for any fretboard customers that want a set and place an order before lets say the end of May initially, no question Moneyback guarantee still included and if they are not at least as good as ANY other pickup you possess I want you to post it on the forum.

Declan
    Deacci Guitar Pickups

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited May 2014
    @deacci what is the patent number please, I'd quite like to read about the mathematics behind your winding process.
    edited May 2014
    Guitarmonkey,
    The Patent application is filed but not granted, that can take ages. Details from the patent application will only be published by the patent office at the earliest in September, and that depends whether I file for a PCT which would delay publication by a further 18 months. I am due a response from the patent office on the initial search within the next few months, and once that is complete, I should be in a position to disclose a lot more detail. Apologies for being vague, it is not intentional, a full international patent covering all potential countries would cost approx 100k, which is very freaking scary.

What I can say is that the software that creates the scripts, which in turn controls the winder, generates scripts for winder control which create a winding pattern based on the Fibonacci sequence,

There are an almost infinate number of possible scripts which adjust the pattern to accommodate different tonal requirements, both increasing and decreasing the degree of "scatter" based on a central target number of turns of wire per layer,  and of course a total number of turns of wire and a few other paramaters which also nudge the pattern around.

The mathematics of Fibonacci and phi are at the core of the distribution of every single winding. CNC winders do not like this type of non uniform winding process, and with so many different possibilities the software also has to automatically adjust so that each layer is centered on the spinning bobbin.

Why do all this, and what does it mean for the final product?.... well, it gives me the ability to produce repeatable "scatterwound" or better to call them fibonacciWound bobbins that I can tweak, test, and more importantly repeat until I find a combination that works for any given pickup type or level of output. I can make the winding very random or very close to perfect, or just perfect and experiment with all those combinations.

The future of this will be a simplified interface that customers can tune and ultimately create their own uniqie set of pickups on the website. That is probably about 12-18 months away

i hope that gives you enough of a taste of how it works, the patent application no is 1315686.4, I think you may need to stick a UK or GB in front of it.

Declan
    Deacci Guitar Pickups

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @deacci I for one wish you genuine luck with your venture. Always respect someone who goes out alone, I think the website looks good, the pickups are well packaged. You also seem to have a unique selling point in the repeatable scatter wound thing.

Ultimately sound and reputation will be everything, but you can only build this over time, and if your product doesn't cut it in the bracket you are targeting you will soon know. The money back guarantee is a great way forward to put your conviction behind the product. And don't be put off by the cheapskates!

Great sound clips and YouTube vids will help but I personally have never bought a pickup from hearing clips as you really can't tell a lot.

Just a few constructive comments from me:

I would make it much clearer when you are selling in sets.

Also, adding sales tax at checkout is a particular pet hate of mine, unless you are targeting business to business. It's not like I have a choice to pay it or not so would sooner see the upfront cost.

Finally, I would think very carefully about pricing, yes you are targeting upper end, but this is near the top of the top, yet you are already offering considerable discounts to this forum. I would be careful not to discount too much, too early, but keep your prices consistent and competitive (within the high end field).

Please feel free to ignore all of the above as I really know very little

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Shames it's not patent no. 112358132134
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    Dindude,

Many thanks for your comments I appreciate you taking the time to look around the website.

Sound and video clips are indeed an evil necessity, but they can never convey how pickups or any other audio product will sound or feel. Still it is what people seem to want, and so it has to be done, ..... so more to come..... Kieran test guitar and some Fat Juicy and GreenFaze will be heading your way soon

Totally agree on the sales tax issue, limitations with the e-commerce software will also need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Also agree with your point on pricing, as a totally new brand,  and after spending years in a workshop getting ready for this day,  I fear my rush to get pickups out there in the wild took over and I lost the plot...... temporarily....., and while I left the keyboard the other day asking myself why in the world I offered sets for £130 until the end of May,  .....I blame that Jez guy :)  I do however intend to honour the offer, although it is unsustainable, so hopefully google wont index this page, and not too many people find out.... until June at least

Thanks Dindude

Prospective £130 a set humbucker customers can thank Jez

Declan
    Deacci Guitar Pickups
    www.deacci.com

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    deacci said:
    Guitarmonkey,
    The Patent application is filed but not granted, that can take ages. Details from the patent application will only be published by the patent office at the earliest in September, and that depends whether I file for a PCT which would delay publication by a further 18 months. I am due a response from the patent office on the initial search within the next few months, and once that is complete, I should be in a position to disclose a lot more detail. Apologies for being vague, it is not intentional, a full international patent covering all potential countries would cost approx 100k, which is very freaking scary.

What I can say is that the software that creates the scripts, which in turn controls the winder, generates scripts for winder control which create a winding pattern based on the Fibonacci sequence,

There are an almost infinate number of possible scripts which adjust the pattern to accommodate different tonal requirements, both increasing and decreasing the degree of "scatter" based on a central target number of turns of wire per layer,  and of course a total number of turns of wire and a few other paramaters which also nudge the pattern around.

The mathematics of Fibonacci and phi are at the core of the distribution of every single winding. CNC winders do not like this type of non uniform winding process, and with so many different possibilities the software also has to automatically adjust so that each layer is centered on the spinning bobbin.

Why do all this, and what does it mean for the final product?.... well, it gives me the ability to produce repeatable "scatterwound" or better to call them fibonacciWound bobbins that I can tweak, test, and more importantly repeat until I find a combination that works for any given pickup type or level of output. I can make the winding very random or very close to perfect, or just perfect and experiment with all those combinations.

The future of this will be a simplified interface that customers can tune and ultimately create their own uniqie set of pickups on the website. That is probably about 12-18 months away

i hope that gives you enough of a taste of how it works, the patent application no is 1315686.4, I think you may need to stick a UK or GB in front of it.

Declan
    Deacci Guitar Pickups

Wouldn't be cheaper to employ a Mexican granny?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom