Behringer X Air - Vocal setup tips?

Ive just got a new Behringer XR18 setup, which I’ve got vocals, drums and guitar running into. I’m after some advice on how to setup the vocal channel.

Ive got a Sennheiser e840 straight into the mixer.
Im adding compression and eq on the channel, then sending that to an effects bus to add reverb. I’m listening on closed back headphones (bayerdynamic DT770 M to block out the ambient drum volume) so there’s not much real room ambience.

Is there any best practice for getting a good vocal sound that sits in the mix when drumming and singing along to backing tracks? I’m struggling to get a good reverb sound, I suspect I’ve got too much and too long. Are there any useful vocal effects (for thickening the sound) in the effects blocks?

cheers.

Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6779
    Found a bit of compression and light reverb sound ok in headphones. Did this via a fx bus.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Typically you would want to apply compression and EQ as inserts on the channel and reverb or delay on an aux send to an FX bus.

One of the most important parameters in a reverb patch is pre-delay. If the reverb is robbing the vocal of impact and intelligibility, try dialling that up to say 30-50ms.