New phone time - iphone 11?

What's Hot

Time to upgrade my iPhone 6, looking at the new 11 which seems reasonably priced, compared to the to most expensive phones at least.

I like IOS, but may be persuaded to go elsewhere.  I spent most of my holiday dealing with the in laws Galaxy phones which I found a bit frustrating, but maybe that was just getting used to Android.

Anything else to look for?  I have had the 6 for 4-5 years so will probably keep whatever I get for a similar amount of time.

Perhaps one of the Huawei's?  I'd like a good camera, but the top end Huawei is a bit much, guess I'm looking £700 ish.

I'm 75% leaning towards Apple, the way it just transfers your existing phone makes it very easy and much as Apple get on my nerves, my current phone has been issue free since I've had it, it's just getting a bit slower now.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I’ve just ordered an iPhone 11, don’t even think about it to be honest, I’ve had a raft of other devices for work, the latest being a Samsung Android Jobbie, and they’ve all been, without exception, fucking infuriating. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I switched a couple of months ago from an iPhone 6S to an XR (terrible timing, I know!). I've never had an Android phone I got on with and after making the switch to iOS I don't think I'll ever be going back. The face recognition takes a day or so to get used to but it's very slick, the fingerprint recognition on my wife's iPhone 8 feels really clunky now. I'd go for the 11, dude: or possibly the XR; you might get a good deal on it now the new ones are out and it's still an excellent phone
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Love my Xs. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    If I was in your boat, I’d stay apple but not bother with the 11. 

I’ve got a 10, have used versions of the 8,7 and 6. The actual difference in day to day use is so small. I got suckered into upgrading to the 10 for
    the camera but it’s not all that amazing. 

Unless you really want to gurn at it to unlock instead of a far more elegant thumb press, maybe save yourself a large chunk of cash to spend on more exciting toys. 
  • dazzajl said:
    If I was in your boat, I’d stay apple but not bother with the 11. 

I’ve got a 10, have used versions of the 8,7 and 6. The actual difference in day to day use is so small. I got suckered into upgrading to the 10 for
    the camera but it’s not all that amazing. 

Unless you really want to gurn at it to unlock instead of a far more elegant thumb press, maybe save yourself a large chunk of cash to spend on more exciting toys. 
    To be fair the 11 should be a few increments better than the x and is £300ish cheaper, so the jump from a 6 should be significant. Especially the battery life which has supposed to have taken a big jump. 
    I guess the 11 is more equivalent to the 8 when that came out with the X and the X is like the 11 pro.

The 8 currently seems to be expensive on contract still.

I could go for the Xr but for £2 extra a month you get latest processor, super wide lens, night mode, better battery etc with the 11.  I'd be happy with either but all roads seem to point to the 11.

Unless I go android , but the replies so far are pushing further back towards the 11, so will just get that.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m in the same boat. Got a 6, but wanting
     to upgrade. Most likely an 11, but not the pro. I’d rather pay for the phone outright, but all the beat deals seem to be paying for the phone on a contract. I’m going to wait until the pixel 4 and see how it is against the 11, and then will decide. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited September 2019
    Pre-ordered my11 Max plus, handy when you have a Son who works for O2
  • My next phone will be a Note 10+. 
  • Wolfetone said:
    My next phone will be a Note 10+. 
    Looks nice but out of budget for me.  The pen could be handy, don't know why Apple havn't followed suit making the new phones compatable with the Apple pen.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I’m still on a 6, getting an 11 but not the pro. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • My son and my father have android phones, all other family members have iPhones. My father still hasn’t got a bloody clue how to use the damn thing, and my son is too cool for school to have an iPhone. 

I find them desperately frustrating devices. The operating system is much less intuitive, downright clunky sometimes. 

The leap in processing power used to be a giant leap in older IOS devices. These days, it’s less so, and it’s easier to live with older iPhones. I honestly don’t think there is a huge difference between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 8, and the 8 plus is 95% iPhone X. 

The facial recognition is something I can live without.  

I likely will go to an iPhone 11, but might hold back until I feel my phone is lagging behind too much, then switch. No hurry. 

• I have to lol at this perception that Apple products work seamlessly and without problems and Androids are clunky. What a load of tosh, my wife has Apple products I have Android. Depending on which side of the fence you come from the other seems clunky and not as intuitive or smooth, but the truth is both are great and neither is better in reality. In fact watching a salesman with an iPhone X trying to put it on silent the other day was fun, took him numerous attempts and he was an Apple fanboy. When I use my wife's phone or tablet it appears shite and awkward to use as it's not what I'm used to, and vice versa for her. 

I bought a Huawei as the camera is amazing, the rest is neither here nor there really. It's a phone and has apps, nowt much beyond that. The only downside is still the threat of Google abandoning updates for them thanks to a certain Orange C**t. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Google Pixel 3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Ive just gone from a 6 to an 11 after holding off for a couple of years and it's a noticeable step up in camera etc. but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the size and weight difference. Hopefully I get used to it but I find I'm missing my smaller old phone and its relatively compact size.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have gone from X to Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S10 which I really like apart from it being too light. The face recognition and biometric unlock on the S10 put Apple to shame.

Only thing I miss not having Apple is plugging in a guitar and using Garageband.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I really wish they'd bring back Touch ID.
    There are loads of situations where lifting the phone to your face to unlock it is less convenient than just using your thumbprint.

I have a X and no plans to upgrade.
    I don't need a more fancy camera, certainly not for £1200, I can almost buy a really nice DSLR or mirrorless for that.
    Buy a used X for £500 and get on with your life.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    edited October 2019
    I have gone from X to Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S10 which I really like apart from it being too light. The face recognition and biometric unlock on the S10 put Apple to shame.

Only thing I miss not having Apple is plugging in a guitar and using Garageband.

I got the XR over the S10 after reading about facial recognition security issues. Was a deal breaker for me.

IOS 13 has also addressed previous issues.
  • Jay1Jay1 Frets: 4
    I went from a 6 to the x when it came out and it is a noticeable jump forward. Better screen, better battery, better camera, faster and I really like the Face ID. I’ll be keeping the x for at least another year or 2.  Not had a play with the 11 but the pro is impressive (although not enough so to want me to fork out to upgrade the x)
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Note 10+
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Just got the 11 pro max with work, having had an X. The larger size is taking some getting used to, as I have tiny child-like hands but other than that, it’s great. And the battery is noticeably improved. 14 hours heavy usage today and still got home with 20%. 

Yes I popped it into low power mode as I didn’t need the Mail app syncing every 5 mins, but I used it as a WiFi hotspot for 3-4 hours today and had music playing for a lot of the day for commute and  trip to London for work, along with normal usage for social media and work related stuff. Ended up coming to bed at midnight with 5% so that’s 18 hours from a full charge. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom