New phone time - iphone 11?

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited October 2019
    After a week or so with the the new Max 11 plus I have to say it’s been excellent so far. My old phone was a OnePlus 6 which is no slouch in its own right but the iPhone even after getting used to Androids has been easy enough to navigate. The battery life is very good with up to 3 days of light use on a single charge, the odd YouTube excursion web browsing, Bluetooth car link etc, so all in all I’m quite pleased
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I got an 11 at the weekend, I’m new to face recognition but it is very quick and the phone just opens when I lift it up.  Not had a scenario where I have wished for the fingerprint reader. 

Camera is great, As a test, I took a picture in a dark cupboard and it looked like the light was on.  Photos seem vibrant, more so that my dslr, but it is quite old.  I’d still like a mirrorless at some point and the dslr would work better for some things where you require the extra control.  But on first impression the low light performance is better than my dslr, certainly without a tripod.

Battery is great, all day no problem.  Big jump from a 6.

The X never really had me wanting to upgrade but the 11 at £700-800 seemed worth it and on first impression it definitely is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Google Pixel 4 is coming out next week. (Lovely phone), but Pixel 3s have come right down in Price and still still a great phone with a fantastic camera.
    But I am biased working for Google
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited October 2019

I got an 11 at the weekend, I’m new to face recognition but it is very quick and the phone just opens when I lift it up.  Not had a scenario where I have wished for the fingerprint reader. 

Same here, the fingerprint/button is the one of the things I thought I may miss but after a couple of hours I was used to just picking the phone up and it's unlocked!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited October 2019
    I have gone from X to Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S10 which I really like apart from it being too light. The face recognition and biometric unlock on the S10 put Apple to shame.

Only thing I miss not having Apple is plugging in a guitar and using Garageband.

Is the face recognition on the S10 as secured though?  On the S9 you can unlock it with a picture.  Fast, yes, secured, not one bit.
  • I have gone from X to Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S10 which I really like apart from it being too light. The face recognition and biometric unlock on the S10 put Apple to shame.

Only thing I miss not having Apple is plugging in a guitar and using Garageband.

Is the face recognition on the S10 as secured though?  On the S9 you can unlock it with a picture.  Fast, yes, secured, not one bit.
    Have tried and tried with many pics but nothing will unlock it apart my live in the flesh face.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I have gone from X to Huawei P20 Pro to Samsung S10 which I really like apart from it being too light. The face recognition and biometric unlock on the S10 put Apple to shame.

Have tried and tried with many pics but nothing will unlock it apart my live in the flesh face.
    You can unlock it with video rather than photo .... basically someone can record a few seconds of your face with their phone and then unlock your phone with that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgQ9woZQOg
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Is there any particular reason why the 11 hasn’t got 5G capability? Seems an odd omission when Samsung have already done it.  I can only think Apple want everyone to have to upgrade the 12 next year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Is there any particular reason why the 11 hasn’t got 5G capability? Seems an odd omission when Samsung have already done it.  I can only think Apple want everyone to have to upgrade the 12 next year. 
    Apple are seldom first to the market with a lot of common tech, they tend to wait until the infrastructure is there or when most of the kinks have been smoothed out.   Currently 5G is not widespread so while is a selling point, it is nothing more than that.

It would be nice to have the feature but on some levels you are probably right, so they can say again "fastest iPhone ever".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Is there any particular reason why the 11 hasn’t got 5G capability?
    I suppose in the UK lack of network is one reason why it doesn't matter.  4G is fast enough where it is available.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    octatonic said:
    I really wish they'd bring back Touch ID.
    There are loads of situations where lifting the phone to your face to unlock it is less convenient than just using your thumbprint.

I have a X and no plans to upgrade.
    I don't need a more fancy camera, certainly not for £1200, I can almost buy a really nice DSLR or mirrorless for that.
    Buy a used X for £500 and get on with your life.

this.

I upgraded from a 6S to the X. I miss the headphone jack and think facial rec is crap. Its clunky. Touch ID was better IMO.

Is it faster than the 6S? Apparently, not that I notice it.

I am completely disillusioned by the whole phone thing. I use it for calls, pics, twitter, Instagram, mail, texts and the odd app. Other than that it is a completely over priced effort. I'll possibly change the handset when the contract renews, next year.

IoS v Android - meh, couldn't care. Only reason I stick with the iPhone is that upgrading in the past has been seamless, and it just works and I am familiar with it.

I have very little interest in phones anymore. The innovation between devices is minimal these days.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Sound like the 11 has moved on from the x in the facial recognition, it is 2 models on.  Or perhaps ios13 changes it.
    Snap said:

Is it faster than the 6S? Apparently, not that I notice it.

I am completely disillusioned by the whole phone thing. I use it for calls, pics, twitter, Instagram, mail, texts and the odd app. Other than that it is a completely over priced effort. 

You'd not really notice the speed difference if you don't use the device to it's capacity.  You are by admission a light user, so the upgrade would be wasted on you anyway.

I take a fair few band videos so looking forward to editing 4k videos, which I imagine is one area the additional power really comes in.  6 to 11 is a massive increase in power and functionality.  The low light camera capability is a massive plus, but only if photos on a phone are your thing.   

Innovation has definitely slowed down, but that's becuase the top devices are so refined - I think people have started to keep phones longer and that trend will continue.  

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I have only just this week upgraded from a 5S to an SE .... and I think of myself as quite a heavy user of a phone as I use it to multitrack record, adjust my IEM mix's between various digital desks, run Electronics workbench software, use it as Sat Nav for gigs and run my Dr Watson business of it in terms of sales and emails. I also use more Siri than anyone I know having trained it to recognise my voice over the last 6 years of having an iPhone. that's actually the most powerful feature of an iPhone yet most people I know never use it. 
    I can't say I was finding the 5S slow really, and it still was holding a charge all day after 5 years and working perfectly which shows how good a design it was. I did change the lighting port twice but that's basically because I was using the phone in a working metal work environment and tiny shards of metal were getting into the port and wearing it out prematurely. 

So not massively fussed about another phone now even though most people would think of the SE as an old phone now I guess

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

So not massively fussed about another phone now even though most people would think of the SE as an old phone now I guess

My daughter has one, is quicker than my outgoing 6 and seems to perform well.  The screen is too small for me nowadays thought, I find the bigger screens much easier to type on.  I've also just downloaded Grid Autosport which is great with the xbox controller and works okay on the bigger screen.

Another good thing about the SE is it still works with the latest ios, which means you don't start to lose the latest apps.
    Danny1969 said:
    I have only just this week upgraded from a 5S to an SE .... and I think of myself as quite a heavy user of a phone as I use it to multitrack record, adjust my IEM mix's between various digital desks, run Electronics workbench software, use it as Sat Nav for gigs and run my Dr Watson business of it in terms of sales and emails. I also use more Siri than anyone I know having trained it to recognise my voice over the last 6 years of having an iPhone. that's actually the most powerful feature of an iPhone yet most people I know never use it. 
    I can't say I was finding the 5S slow really, and it still was holding a charge all day after 5 years and working perfectly which shows how good a design it was. I did change the lighting port twice but that's basically because I was using the phone in a working metal work environment and tiny shards of metal were getting into the port and wearing it out prematurely. 

It's not about age, but support for old models eventually stops, then the latest version of the app that you use won't work because it wants you to update.  You are then put into a corner to have to get a new phone or not use an app that you use frequently.  Banking apps are notorious for this.

Apple actually is quite good that even the iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, not sure if it can run iOS 13 though.  That is still like 5 years of support whereas Android you are lucky if you get 2 years.
    Danny1969 said:

Apple actually is quite good that even the iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, not sure if it can run iOS 13 though. 
    No, left behind now with uncle betamax and auntie laser disc.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Danny1969 said:

Apple actually is quite good that even the iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, not sure if it can run iOS 13 though. 
    No, left behind now with uncle betamax and auntie laser disc.

This was the final push that led me to upgrade.

Danny1969 said:

My daughter has one, is quicker than my outgoing 6 and seems to perform well.  The screen is too small for me nowadays thought, I find the bigger screens much easier to type on.  I've also just downloaded Grid Autosport which is great with the xbox controller and works okay on the bigger screen.

Another good thing about the SE is it still works with the latest ios, which means you don't start to lose the latest apps.

From what I remember the SE was the 6S internals in a 5S body so maybe that means its a bit nippier?

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Note 10+

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    edited October 2019
    My wife and me are both using two year old iPhone 7 plus’s. I couldn’t afford the new X at the time and the spec of the 8 looked virtually identical to the 7 apart from a couple of minor features. Can’t see me bothering to upgrade for quite a while, the 7 is still a good phone and takes decent pics. Ironically my bro in law gave my missus his old 7 plus when he upgraded to an X but he immediately hated the face unlock. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    You can unlock it with video rather than photo .... basically someone can record a few seconds of your face with their phone and then unlock your phone with that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgQ9woZQOg
    Not great for TV slebs and newsreaders then.