How low can I go?

What's Hot
I'm looking to buy my first acoustic. I have no idea what I want other than a pure acoustic, something comfortable and easy to play so I can learn what I like and don't like. My references are Paul Weller (Wild Wood era), Rich Robinson, Kurt Cobain (MTV Unplugged).

How little can I spend and get an instrument that will not immediately need work? I've played big acoustics (dreadnoughts?) in the past and found them uncomfortable so something that has an electric-esque feel would be handy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Almost all guitars below fairly high-end ones costing at least a grand will benefit from a proper set-up - in fact, even most cheaper guitars can be made to play very well. You would be better to include that cost in your budget rather than try to spend over the top of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FatBobFatBob Frets: 15
    edited September 2019
    Try an early range Yamaha. Good value. I think the way it is set is going to be key to. The action should be low IMHO and the strings for me should be starting off at 10 gauge. Trying Ernie Ball Earthwood range Extra Lights would be a great start.

The action is going to be a big thing because the effort of getting a buzz free sound is a finger burning and wrist aching nightmare at first. But perseverance is a quality you will need. 

My first Yamaha acoustic was set up for me in Selly's Liverpool and I still have it and it sounds awesome. I love that guitar. My wife has a Fender acoustic of similar range and mine is sweeter sounding and has better output across the spectrum. 

Hope this helps. Try some out for size and feel. Don't break your budget, get a stand a spare set of strings and a couple of decent plecs. Also get a Chord Doctor which is a library for the future and a Tuner all in one. Be brave. 

Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My step daughter just got herself a Tanglewood TW4 which is a really nice sounding and playing guitar for a couple of hundred.

Previously she had one of the Gear4music round backs that I'd picked up off ebay for about £40, and I have to say the playability was very close to my Ovation which cost ten times as much.

As always though, decide what your budget is and then go out and play everything you can until you find the one that fits you best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Sigma.  Amazing instruments for very little money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • About six years ago I wanted to replace my "living room" acoustic, and I set myself a budget of £200. The Loar's LH-200 was getting good reviews at the time (The Loar being part of the same company as Recording King I believe, but going for the pre-war Gibson aesthetic rather than Martin styles). Maybe I was lucky, but it arrived all the way from Thomann in a cardboard box and has played perfectly ever since.

As other people have said, decide on a budget and features/shape/look, and try a few. Difficult to end up with a bad one these days.

• drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Thanks all!
  • Fender CD60. £165
  • Yamaha entry level models are cheap, are excellent and, in my experience, play pretty well straight out of the box.
  • i think Vintage acoustics are really nice, used about £100 150
  • i think Vintage acoustics are really nice, used about £100 150
    If they're good enough for Gordon Giltrap...
    Dad had his signature model for a while, which was very nice. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    i think Vintage acoustics are really nice, used about £100 150
    I’ve got a Vintage Paul Brett signature for sale here on the forum.