Fattest necked Junior on a budget?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited September 2019 in Guitar
Please could any of you good folk advise me on which of the cheaper LP Junior style guitars (single cut) has the fattest neck? I really only have a couple of hundred quid to spend on a used one so if you could take that into consideration that would be great. I’m drawn to the Harley Benton but believe it has quite a slim neck and I need it thick to accommodate my rather large mitts! Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    edited September 2019

The guy in this videos shares some thoughts about some Jrs and necks:

• I'm currently gassing for a Vintage V120, I had a V130 but didn't like the double cut. I don't remember it being an overly fat neck but also not overly skinny (i'm 6'3" so not the smallest hands) all it says is it has a 42mm nut. Well worth a look though, well put together and no money.
  • I'm currently gassing for a Vintage V120, I had a V130 but didn't like the double cut. I don't remember it being an overly fat neck but also not overly skinny (i'm 6'3" so not the smallest hands) all it says is it has a 42mm nut. Well worth a look though, well put together and no money.
    EVERY Vintage guitar I've ever played has had a slim neck- I sold my SG jr (a catchiliy named VS6mrpcr) because the neck was like a toothpick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    The Fret King dbc has a nice thick neck. I sold mine to @robwright foolishly!
  • Apart from the headstock outline, decal, machineheads and wrapover bridge, the H-B DC Junior in the Guitar Geek comparison looks exactly like a Hamer XT series model. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You might find an old Japanese copy that has a big neck. I’ve got an old double cut junior copy by Arbiter which has a nice big neck and a great sounding dog ear P90 pickup. I don’t know if they ever did a single cut version but it might be worth keeping an eye on eBay and Reverb.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    edited September 2019
    If you can stretch just a little either a kit that you assemble or an already assembled (by a forum member -so secondhand), GSP junior will serve you well -fantastic larger neck.
    Edit -my avatar is a prime example. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Jota said:

The guy in this videos shares some thoughts about some Jrs and necks:

@Jota you need to repost the link for the video to work if you’ve edited the post
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Thank you to you all for your replies, it’s much appreciated. I did have my eye on the Vintage V120 but the Harley Benton SC Junior just seems like a better bet at a much cheaper price. If any of you good folks have certain terms you type into eBay to find single pickup guitars junior style or not could you please let me know what they are as I think I have pretty much exhausted any and all ideas for eBay searches! Thank you.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18379
    1979 said:
    The Fret King dbc has a nice thick neck. I sold mine to @robwright foolishly!
    My Fret King DBC doesn't have such a thick neck, a nice feel, but no baseball bat.
    Now the Gibson Melody Maker reissue from 2007... now that was a chunky neck.
    Felt like trying to play a lap steel  ;)
    Philly_Q said:
    Thank you @Philly_Q Seeings as that was a prototype HB DC Junior has/was it changed in any way for the mass market? He described the neck as neither thick or thin so is that still the case? Also are the electrics still the same i.e braided wire and 500k pots? Sorry for all the questions but if anyone has an HB Junior I’d love to hear what they think of it. 

There just doesn’t seem to be much in the way of video clips and info on the HB SC’s. It may have to be a case of selling a few things and upping my budget for something with a little more of what I want e.g fat neck and slightly higher output pickup.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I still believe Custom 77 may be what you're looking for.
    Jota said:
    I still believe Custom 77 may be what you're looking for.
    @Jota you may be right, they are at the moment the only budget single cut Junior in the right kind of TV Yellow which is what I’m truly after, but that headstock though, what the hell is going on with that? I’d have to take a hacksaw to it!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Afraid I haven't tried any of these guitars and I don't know the specs. 

As a general observation, it seems to me that budget guitar brands tend to use fairly slim necks on most models because that's what most people prefer - or don't care about one way or another.  Relatively few people want a very fat (or very thin) neck so it's not very cost-effective to cater to those extreme ends of the market.

Try before you buy, if you can... or take advantage of dealers' return policies!

(For what it's worth, I'm with you, I much prefer guitars with bigger necks.)
    Philly_Q said:
    Afraid I haven't tried any of these guitars and I don't know the specs. 

As a general observation, it seems to me that budget guitar brands tend to use fairly slim necks on most models because that's what most people prefer - or don't care about one way or another.  Relatively few people want a very fat (or very thin) neck so it's not very cost-effective to cater to those extreme ends of the market.

Try before you buy, if you can... or take advantage of dealers' return policies!

(For what it's worth, I'm with you, I much prefer guitars with bigger necks.)
    @Philly_Q it does seem to be that way, I’ve just done a virtual build on the Gordon Smith site and it comes out at £870! I nearly bought one a couple of months ago but I got hit with a nasty council tax bill so that was the end of that! I do have some top spec air rifles and metal detecting gear I could sell but I’m loathe to do so.
  • PRS SE One? I believe it's got their "Wide Fat" neck on it. 
    It's like a modern LP Jr with impeccable build quality. You may wish to add a tone control, but that's simple enough to do. 

https://theguitarnook.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180410_125258.jpg
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited September 2019
    I bought one of these recently and love it, the neck is described as 50s rounded. It is definitely fuller than most of my other guitar necks.

2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker

I know it isn't a Junior but not a million miles away from a special, I paid £375 in lovely condition but have seen them for less.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited September 2019
    @Teyeplayer this sounds like an interesting project to do. Any tips on where I could start regarding kits or bodies etc?
    Any thoughts or advice on this please? 

http://www.guitarkitfabric.co.uk/Catalogue/diy-guitar-kits/diy-guitar-kit-lp-junior-ebony

I would really only be buying it for the body and neck as everything else over time I’d like to upgrade to top quality parts or would I just be polishing a turd with this kit? Many thanks.